Avro Lancaster MkIII / 463sqn (RAAF)

Nils

Lancaster ND332 of 463sqn, Australian, was lost in Bergen, Norway in October 1944 as they were bombing the Uboat pen there (Bruno)
The plane was hit by flak and ended up in a little lake close to the city centre with and hands lost. The plane was never raised and after the war new land fillings and construction work buried the wreck there.

An operation to try locating the wreck some years ago came to nothing and it was concluded with the  it had been buried un tons of gravel and stone.

As they had jettisoned their bomb load over the city, the wreck caused no longer a danger of blowing up and it was decided to let them rest there.

A memorieal has been erected on the shore where the plane ended it's days.

Lancaster

• Like 6

Thank you Nils, a great looking image and a fitting commemoration of  463 Squadron Lancaster.

Two small points if I may, though your research may say differently, but usually the code on the starboard fuselage side reads

“JO - S”, and the “S” outlined in yellow is repeated on the fin, though smaller than the 48 inch fuselage letters, possibly 36 inch.  An example from 467 Squadron:

izylvm.jpg

Max 

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
There’s not many references to ND332 / JO-S, but I don’t there were any with the S on the fins. I will double check. Thanks again..

It was the norm Nils. In the summer of ‘44 when more and more daylight operations became viable with increased air superiority and fighter range, 5 Group decided their Lancasters needed to be more identifiable, so the yellow surround to the codes was adopted AND the fin letter added.

Max 

• Thanks 1

I have changed the textures for my Lancaster with marked fins..

Lancaster_side

In addition I add a few detail shots form my model,

a simple cockpit:

Lancaster_Cockpit

Bombardier position:

Bombardier_position

SABS bomb sight:

SABS bomsight

and last, the three Fraser Nash gun turrets:

Fraser Nash Turrets

Goodbye....

Lancaster_Rear

Edited by Nils

BRILLIANT!!!  Thanks Nils, that means such a lot to me!  I'll use it on my website with your permission and an attribution to you if that's OK?  See www.ordinarycrew.co.uk

Max

13 hours ago, Nils said:

Go ahead 😁

BTW I couldn’t reach your site throught your link..

Thanks Nils. Regarding my website, for some unknown reason this software won’t “accept” a hyperlink so the address has to be typed in.