Another Question for truck fanatics.

Stu_davros

Perhaps someone on here can help me with my curiosity:

Today whilst driving along the M3 I passed a truck (not unusual so far), as I passed I noticed the wheel hub of the second axle (first rear axle) was connected with a hose to a device on the mud guard for the wheels in question.

It seemed to be a standard truck you see on UK roads but I've never seen this hose connected to the hub.

Anyone know what it does?

Ta,

Stuart

Air pressure monitor ... ?

I never had much use for them though.

I could always tell when a tire was flat... just by all the debries flying around .

It could also be a hub temperature sensor.

Edited by Little Timmy

22 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

Air pressure monitor ... ?

Never understood how you could monitor tyre pressure on a rotating wheel until I got my current vehicle & it turns out you don't. The electronics measure the rotational rate of each wheel and if one differs from the rest indicates an issue. 

I'm perplexed as to what it could be that needs to come from the mud guard to the wheel hub, sensors would normally come direct from the chassis to the hub via the rear of the hub an as such hiden behind the wheels

47 minutes ago, richellis said:

It’s a tyre inflation system, I’d guess you saw a logging truck as they use it to lower the tyre pressure on soft ground to aid traction, then re-inflate when back on the road 

I can't remember what it was pulling Rich, but that does make sense.

How does the central hub connect to the tyre? And why only one of the two rear axles?

Thanks for everyones replies.

It’s probably only a single drive axle either  a tag with the drive axle then a tag(lift rear axle non driven) so they drop the pressure in the drive tyres, then lift the rear axle to transfer the weight onto the drive axle, or a mid-lift (non driven axle in front of the drive axle, and looks like the front steer wheels) will do the same with the drive axle at the rear

Used mainly in forestry but the tractor can also work with any trailer.

It is connects via a swivel type joint and is piped to the tyre valves between the wheels. 
If I see one on my travels I’ll get some pics. 

14 hours ago, Circloy said:

Never understood how you could monitor tyre pressure on a rotating wheel until I got my current vehicle & it turns out you don't. The electronics measure the rotational rate of each wheel and if one differs from the rest indicates an issue. 

On a car it’s normally via the ABS sensor, looking for a difference in revolutions, unless your car will tell you the tyre pressure, then it’s a wireless sensor inside the tyre normally attached to the valve. 

3 hours ago, richellis said:

It’s probably only a single drive axle either  a tag with the drive axle then a tag(lift rear axle non driven) so they drop the pressure in the drive tyres, then lift the rear axle to transfer the weight onto the drive axle, or a mid-lift (non driven axle in front of the drive axle, and looks like the front steer wheels) will do the same with the drive axle at the rear

Used mainly in forestry but the tractor can also work with any trailer.

It is connects via a swivel type joint and is piped to the tyre valves between the wheels. 
If I see one on my travels I’ll get some pics. 

That makes sense, the wheels it was attached to were definitely driven as they had the right type of wheels, probably a lift axle on the back.

Thanks for everyones responses, I am suitably educated.

• Stu_davros changed the title to Another Question for truck fanatics.

Another question, today as I was leaving work I saw a truck which had me wondering.

At first sight It looked like a standard semi truck you see on British roads (a Scania I think ) but instead of the 5th wheel on the back it had a flat bed with a small load on it.

Why would you need such a large truck for such a small load?

Is it for transporting very small but very heavy loads?

Cheers,

Stuart

Did it have a large crane behind the cab? If so then it would be used to store chains etc on.

or, it can be used to store ballast on and tow a trailer (drawbar or dolly)

Add Watermark_2022_05_04_08_51_14 (36) Add Watermark_2021_10_22_10_53_03 (9)

This is an over weight trailer so uses the ballasted locomotive style

TDG ERF EC11  R989WNF ballast tractor unit 'Locomotive 'at work 2011

• Like 2

How old was the truck?  I've seen some restored tractor units with either no fifth wheel* or a small load bed.

* There seems to be an urban myth that the fifth wheel has to be disabled somehow if using the vehicle without an operator's license.

Edited by Six97s

7 hours ago, Six97s said:

How old was the truck?  I've seen some restored tractor units with either no fifth wheel* or a small load bed.

It was a newish truck (5 years old max), certainly not a restored unit. I think Rich has hit the nail on the head, it was probably a temporary flat bed for transport and the truck was being relocated for use shunting trailers.

It was where I work at Farnborough airport and it was coming on site, possibly preparing for the Airshow in June.

Cheers Guys.

On 21/05/2022 at 12:17, Six97s said:

* There seems to be an urban myth that the fifth wheel has to be disabled somehow if using the vehicle without an operator's license.

It’s nothing to do with that’s, they put the small box in to weigh the back down as a solo tractor unit bounces lots, especially older lorries with short wheelbases and steel sprung suspension.

It make a massive difference with traction and comfort.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richellis said:

It’s nothing to do with that’s, they put the small box in to weigh the back down as a solo tractor unit bounces lots, especially older lorries with short wheelbases and steel sprung suspension.

It make a massive difference with traction and comfort.

That makes sense.