1/72 Tamiya P-47 Razorback "Button Nose"

Hi folks!

Finished this one back in December but neglected to post it because I had to pack up and move at the first of the year. 1/72 is not my usual scale, but I thought I would get out of my comfort zone and try something new. I'll definitely be building more 72nd soon!

P-47D Razorback "Button Nose"

Lt Albert P Knafelz

56th FG 62nd FS

RAF Boxted, England

July 1944

Eduard Zoom PE

Superscale decals

Riveted 

AK Real Colors paints

On to the pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

• Like 61
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Ijineda said:

Thats a perfect build! Great job on the camo, looks very classy. And top notch riveting as well, really does make a difference. What kind of airbrush do you use?

Thanks! I use an Iwata HP-B Plus

Beautifully done- very unusual but handsome scheme for a razorback Jug! Did the real one not have the red flap step markings on the upper wing root, and did it also not have the strakes that ran chord wise under the outer wings when the bomb/tank pylons were not fitted? I think they were to deflect spent cases/links from damaging the ailerons. Very jealous of your airbrush work on the upper camouflage pattern! :like:

Mike

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

Beautifully done- very unusual but handsome scheme for a razorback Jug! Did the real one not have the red flap step markings on the upper wing root, and did it also not have the strakes that ran chord wise under the outer wings when the bomb/tank pylons were not fitted? I think they were to deflect spent cases/links from damaging the ailerons. Very jealous of your airbrush work on the upper camouflage pattern! :like:

Mike

From what I could tell, the red step markings were painted over. As for the strakes/pylons, that was a mistaken omission on my part 🤦‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Brewer said:

As for the strakes/pylons, that was a mistaken omission on my part 

No problem! Can't tell you how many times I have made similar mistakes/omissions; just wanted to suggest a way to make this outstanding build an even better replica!

Mike

I'd love to see what you could do with Francis Gabreski's beautiful P-47D-28 HV-A, as you definitely have that camouflage style down pat!

• Like 1

I'll definitely be building more 72's in the future. I wish Tamiya had done their P-47M in "true scale", I really want to do one of the two-tone blue 63rd FS birds. Guess I'll stick to my usual 1/48 for that one

5 hours ago, Brewer said:

I'll definitely be building more 72's in the future. I wish Tamiya had done their P-47M in "true scale", I really want to do one of the two-tone blue 63rd FS birds. Guess I'll stick to my usual 1/48 for that one

You got that right, my friend- I have wanted to do 'Teddy' since forever! However, with the QB dorsal fin strake,, a C-series R-2800 out of the Revell P-47M, and relocatig the landing light and adding PE  dive recovery flaps, you can use a Tamiya kit and get there fairly painlessly!

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1