London museums

-Ian-

At some point this year I'd like to visit a few of the London museums, can anyone who's visited in recent years give me an idea how long I should allow to visit each of the following:

RAF museum Colindale

National Maritime Museum Greenwich

Science museum

I know doing all 3 on the same day isn't realistic if I want to do them justice so I'm planning on 2 visits, seeing one museum on one day and two on the other day, just trying to figure out which is the best way of juggling them.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

NMM isn't that big. Probably do that with Hendon, but fair bit of travelling.  Science museum backs onto Nat History, and if you haven't been to them, that's a days visit in itself.

Thanks, I went to the Natural History museum a few years ago, think I was in there for 4 or 5 hours.

The last time I visited the National Maritime Museum I was there for a full day - and even then didn't see everything (although, coming from the colonies, I tried to see as much of the place as I could, given that I might not get another opportunity ...).

• Like 1

hi John ,

I you want to visit DUXFORD , stay in Cambridge and catch a Taxi

out to  Museum , there is no Public Transport to the Venue.

All day is fine, they have a nice Cafe' that sells bottled Beer !

cheery mumbas!

Geoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

The last time I visited the National Maritime Museum I was there for a full day - and even then didn't see everything (although, coming from the colonies, I tried to see as much of the place as I could, given that I might not get another opportunity ...).

How long ago was that? I went within the last 5 years, took in Cutty Sark and walked back under the Thames halfway to the Tower. Still home by train for tea.

• Like 1

It must be about ten years ago now. On the day I was one of the first through the doors, and one of the last out of them. I had a break, of sorts, in the middle - there was an special exhibition on at the time, with the Thames as its theme. I sat and listened to the whole of Handel's Water Music, and very pleasant it was!

Bear in mind, also, that I was dealing with the expedition as though I would never have the chance to go there again. As subsequent events have shown, this may not be all that far from the truth. I have been to the UK since, in 2018 for the RAF's centenary, but on that occasion an opportunity to visit the NMM did not present itself.

• Like 1

London Transport museum in Covent Garden is worth a look.

Another one I like is the Museum of London at London Wall and their Docklands branch at Poplar

Then there is the Geffrye museum or as its now called The Museum Of The Home at Shoreditch

London Canal Museum behind Kings Cross station is another interesting one

If you book up you can have a look and ride on the Post Office underground railway at Mount Pleasant Sorting Office

Does it show i'm rather fond and proud of my home city?

Edited by Tijuana Taxi
  • Like 1

Not very impressed by the ‘new’ imperial war museum, apart from the VC, GC gallery at the top. Disappointed most of the great art that was there is now gone along with the mini sub and Jagpanzer which were there.

the old army museum was good, not sure I want to visit the new revamped one 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:47 AM, -Ian- said:

At some point this year I'd like to visit a few of the London museums, can anyone who's visited in recent years give me an idea how long I should allow to visit each of the following:

RAF museum Colindale

National Maritime Museum Greenwich

Science museum

Personally, I allow half a day for either of those three. I normally end up going back to Hendon twice, a few days apart, since I always find more interesting stuff to see (well I used to until the new layout - I haven't been since the changes... darned lack of international air travel *mutter, grumble*). On my last visit I delved into the WW1 hangar (not my field of interest) and found it most pleasant indeed!

I do need to return to Blighty, since I "missed" the top floor of the Science museum! However I did find the top floor of the IWM and discovered the medals exhibit. That was a very pleasant surprise!