Weathering and washes recommendations

Lummy06

Hello everyone I was wondering if you have any recommendations on weathering or washes companies I have been looking at 

Acrylicos Vallejo VJ70183 "Rust, Stains & Streaking" Model Color Set, 17 ml (Pack of 😎 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PGPY4B0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_i_VE9K79F4A1EXAP3NKX0R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

does anyone know if this is any good??

also I’m using an iPhone how do you share photos?? I can’t find out how to do this.

thanks

lummy06

I think it depends what you want it for... if you're building model cars the way most model car builders build model cars, then those products destined for armour are probably a bit over the top. However, if you want to build scrapyards or barn finds, or emulate @tiking in his extraordinary work, then they are probably the thing...

best,

M.

• Like 1

Look, I'll support Vallejo to the hilt because most of its products are very good as long as the modeller knows how to use them; and although I still use some solvent paints in automotive subjects (when it really matters) having such a good range of water-based paints has kept my workroom a much safer place.

But packaging a bunch of regular paint colours as a weathering set is stretching their limits and is not doing new modellers any favours. There's also a long-term value argument. However, if you really want to stick in-brand, go and find the work of Eugene Tur, especially his book "Civil Vehicles" ISBN 9788409009879.

Weathering on civil vehicles is a broad church, though, and you haven't given any insight into what you intend to do, @Lummy06. If Eugene's kind of work is what you want, it's a good benchmark. So, too, are Mike Rinaldi, Rob Ferreira (aka. Scratchmod), John Tolcher, and Rick Lawler, all of whom have done some great civil vehicle builds, mostly at the heavily weathered end of the scale. You can find their work online and in books, such as Valleo's "Rust and Chipping" ISBN 9788461787005.

If that is not what you're driving at, maybe you are thinking of just bringing automotive subjects to life with subtle treatments around engines, radiators, exhausts, etc. For that, I really think that even a beginner is best served by a combination of acrylic inks and/or oils. Learn how to make washes and do some basic oil paint rendering and you can add a subtle bit of life and a story to any car or bike. Please ask if you want any more explanation of any of this.

Edited by Ade H
tagged for response
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Citadel (I think the shops are branded "Warhammer" now) washes are great for bringing out detail on complex parts, and their "Contrast colours" make for excellent panel line washes and come in in multiple colours for different body colours. Most of what I know about painting cars is here @Lummy06 :

best,

M.

• Like 1

Sorry, @Ade H you are correct I did forget to mention that. I’m planning on weathering some of my aircraft my Lancaster and Apache. I was also looking at weathering my raf bomber resupply set which is 4x4 vehicles. Thank you I will look into all of the books and people you have suggested.

• Thanks 1