Mig 21-um 1/48 trumpeter

Hewy

I'm  going to have a bash at the  croatian red and white chequered  mig-21um ,it'll  be built mainly oob apart from resin seats , from the trumpeter kit , hopefully I'm  able to get a start at the weekend , there are loads of pictures online but i haven't  filtered out any unlicensed copy righted ones atm

The kit

RB4otFB.jpeg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

A very colourful choice! That’s great box art too. 

Will pull up a chair. 

James 

Thanks James 👍, i had a look in one of the eduard boxings i have, I'm  not up for any complex building atm, i reckon this will be a little more sedate

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent choice Glynn, and welcome to the GB mate.

I am seriously considering entering one of these myself but most likely as either a Soviet.WARPAC machine.

I do have some decals for the scheme you are doing and I don't want them so if you want them mate just let me know.

Most kind of you craig, but you save them pal, i have a set of the markings, i reckon the daughters cricut can do the  chequered masks (inc cursing,and other profanities) i reserve the right to change the scheme after 2 failures though 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I am seriously considering entering one of these myself

I hope you do there are some lovley camo ones ,HAD do a nice sheet, if i could get hold of the old eduard cockpit set I'd  drop it in,  but i do like the look of these um's with the canopy closed 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hewy said:

HAD do a nice sheet

Indeed they do, I'm looking at it right now.😉

Quite drawn to the Hungarian WARPAC era scheme on it in tan and green.

37 minutes ago, Hewy said:

i reserve the right to change the scheme after 2 failures though

Oh absolutely mate, I often change my mind on schemes even when things go right, which isn't very often lately.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Hungarian WARPAC era scheme on

Nice scheme!, i quite like the look of the um. and as for things not going well sometimes i reckon I'm  losing what little skills I've gathered over many years,not adding to them, the recycling bin seems to have a part built kit in it quite often😖

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice scheme!, i quite like the look of the um. and as for things not going well sometimes i reckon I'm  losing what little skills I've gathered over many years,not adding to them, the recycling bin seems to have a part built kit in it quite often😖

Its not just me then, don't know why but I really seem to have gone backwards lately.

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Its not just me then, don't know why but I really seem to have gone backwards lately.

I'm  blaming lockdown🙈 

Heres a wikipedia photo , pretty isn't it 

7HtLCxW.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Good luck! I've always liked that plane too but I figure it's a bit beyond me - not only the masking but also getting gloss white to look nice on a kit that has grey plastic!

Looking forward to see how you tackle it!

The trick is to give it a primer of white and give it a gloss coat between that and the final coat. 

• Thanks 1

After looking at the parts, it doesn't look a bad kit, at all, a bit of dry fitting though first as the cockpit has multiple parts inc side walls ,and i want to make sure when painted it will fit ,

Dry Assembled and test fit , lovely detals oob , and it totally fits 

MSjfokF.jpeg

p8zQFqW.jpeg

There are kit supplied decals for the ip panels , eduard did some pe sets when the kit was released but aren't available now ,i reckon the kit stuff  will be ok.

The tub has had a lick of paint ,still unglued and push fit

WCNT3l0.jpeg

All round the cockpit detail looks good to me

3TrUnGu.jpeg

y4gaIfw.jpeg

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Glynn.

Glad to see it's a good fitting kit and quite nicely detailed too. I have found a couple of resin bang seats in the stash that I shall add to mine, when I get around to starting it. Nice colour on the cockpit, which paint did you use?

Thats Vallejo  emerald green over a black primer  base, with white highlights sprayed from the top down,   Ahh! About the seats , measure the seat base craig  I'll  tell you if theyll fit , my sbs ones won't  , they're  very well detailed but can't be used on this build 

Sbs  seats

xi8kEAu.jpeg

01HkfSu.jpeg

And the seat in the tub 😖   swamps it a bit doesn't  it ?

hOf1r33.jpeg

VQ3pl55.jpeg

• Like 4

On 18/02/2022 at 23:02, bianfuxia said:

Good luck! I've always liked that plane too but I figure it's a bit beyond me - not only the masking but also getting gloss white to look nice on a kit that has grey plastic!

Looking forward to see how you tackle it!

👍I'm going to attempt it  how dennis has described

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The trick is to give it a primer of white and give it a gloss coat between that and the final coat. 

Yes dennis thats how I'm  going to try it ,i have some mr surfacer 1500 white  that I'll use for the prime and topcoat it goes down really well and I'll  just add a couple of drops of gloss Before or after the red I'll do a test first

• Like 1