KP Mig-21MF

Natter

Just as a marker in the sand, as I have a couple of other builds in progress at the moment - may I join this GB with KP's 1984 boxing of their then 'new tool' Mig-21MF?

51882287668_97cd2ebe53_c.jpg

Probably to be in Ethioian Air Force markings, TBC.

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

No posts? That's because there has been no progress; until the last couple of days. I had the Pavla cockpit for this kit, but it still needs loads of work to get it to fit, and to be honest it doesn't really. Painted up it looks OK, as long as you don't notice that the bottom two rows of instruments had to be cut off the bottom of the instrument panel lower console to get it to fit. The seat isn't too bad. I hope my paint-job isnt too awful, but it'll look OK in the cockpit.

51948790795_61dc46c2dd_c.jpg

51947201577_26fe3bf5ee_c.jpg

Mr Surfacer 1500 was airbrushed on as a primer and filling, sanding and re-priming ensued:

51948790750_5ac64af7c4_c.jpg

Following some white pre-shading the underside was done with Mr Color RLM65 and Lifecolor Sand went on for the first topside camouflage colour:

51948495364_7a726bbee0_c.jpg

The freehanded Tamiya Olive Green (I hate freehanding Tamiya paints):

51948495349_2397771eae_c.jpg

And touched up the underside:

51948255718_cef8ca7e3f_c.jpg

Gloss, decals and weathering next.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Natter said:

The freehanded Tamiya Olive Green (I hate freehanding Tamiya paints):

Looks great to my Mk.I’s 👀 … Im sorry you don't like Tamiya.  I use them and Gunze almost exclusively and have good luck with them. What size needle and how much you thin Tamiya and Gunze definitely play a big part though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I use them and Gunze almost exclusively and have good luck with them.

I use a 0.2 needle for freehand camo, and thin the Tamiya with Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner or No.1 Thinners. I have far fewer problems spraying Mr Color, but with all paints they seem to clog on the needle point very quickly, be they acrylics, or lacquers. More practice required, but any advice gratefully received.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Natter said:

I use a 0.2 needle for freehand camo, and thin the Tamiya with Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner or No.1 Thinners. I have far fewer problems spraying Mr Color, but with all paints they seem to clog on the needle point very quickly, be they acrylics, or lacquers. More practice required, but any advice gratefully received.

Same needle for me so maybe ratio’s of thinner to paint ? With Tamiya I always use the rule of 2/3rds thinner to paint. Pressure on Tamiya is always between 12-15psi.  So .82 - 1.05 bar ? With Gunze its always 1:1 mix and at least 18-20 psi on the pressure. Which if the converter on google is correct is 1.25 to 1.34 bar hopefully thats correct ? My Iwata has a trigger lock thats adjustable and I always tighten down until I barely get paint out. I then trace the outline of my camouflage while spraying into the area to be covered. It takes a bit longer but this helps eliminate overspray. Once the outlining is done I open up the trigger a bit and fill in the outlines. Hopefully something in all of this that helps ? 

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:48 AM, arfa1983 said:

I guess it's the 0.2 nozzle. That's pretty small right? I also don't face any issues with Gunze Aqueous or Tamiya acrylic but I think my nozzle is 0.4 and my freehand camo is mostly spatter! 

Yea my .35 Neo is mostly splatter too unless I concentrate and give my finger  bad cramps holding the needle barely open. Ive added a bit of info to Natter in the post right above this one. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

A big 'thank you' to @Corsairfoxfouruncle for the guidance on thinning Tamiya Acrylics for freehanding camo. I have used the advice on a subsequent build. Practice still required, but it gave me a solid start point.

Work has been going on but I haven't posted much recently. Gloss (Mr Color GX112 UV Cut Gloss) and decals applied.

52034476845_d491de8a91_c.jpg

52033998748_6cd4ba80af_c.jpg

• Like 7

1/72 KP Mig-21 MF with Pavla resin cockpit and vac canopy. The resin cockpit required much modification to get it to fit and the canopy doesn't fit (neither did the original) so has been cut and posed open. Decals from Berna Decals Africans (sic) Mig-21 Part 1.

52034652927_5c0d8a782d_k.jpg

52036210090_5556e84a50_k.jpg

52035944189_3d6f700672_c.jpg

• Like 10