HMS Gorleston Banff class Sloop

beefy66

Well after a bit of gap in builds ( DIY and decorating for the offspring ) going to make a start on this before I restart my York build.

HMS Gorleston Banff Class Sloop 1943 I used the hull on this as an explanation on how to add some hull plating for a build of @Faraway

A nice small one to get the MOJO kick started.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hull plating added using a build up of primer and masking tape.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was all sanded back and joint lines filled and re-primed and plated after my quick example was a bit rough so hope this will be a quick one.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 17

I always wanted to see this kit building, so I will watch with interesting, thank you!

Mmmmm, I see here nice peeled paint's collection, isn't it?

Which primer did you use?

Keith:

IMG-7792.jpg

Rob:

51729581658_273484a702_b.jpg

Michal:

UXjZjNO.jpg

Whos next ;-)?

Regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Rob

Michal I use an automotive primer from Halfords you can get 4 basic colours Grey, White, Black and Red Oxide

As you can see from the photo some peeling this was before any washing filling or sanding of the hull like I have already said this was all taken back to the resin and started again after my rush job explanation to Jon

Did you sand the hull before you applied your primer I always give the resin parts a light rub over just to get a bit of a key to it picked that up from another site sometime ago.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 5

Hi Stuart I usually do two coats with the tape on and then one more overall coat of primer before I start to add the main paint colours.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well after some good information from @dickrd about the hull paints being from MacArthur's and should be either grey or black I went for the black will mask off and get the hull ready for the 507A and 507C light and dark grey's this should be good practice for when I get back onto York.

Also painted the decking a light buff colour and started on some of the structure add on bits all dry fit for now not to sure about the splinter matt PE might have to change that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 19

Nice work beefy.

You're adding to my education professor, as this is one of many classes of ships I'm not aware of.  :dunce:   The Banff name intrigued me as it's also the name of a town & national park in the Canadian Rockies.  It was named by George Stephen, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, after his birthplace near Banff, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

John

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

near Banff, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

John

I was there on Sunday morning :) 

This is just along the road. I've passed it many times. There were many Canadians based in this corner of the world in 1944-45 in particular, spread between Banff (mainly Mosquitos), Boyndie and Dallachy (mainly Beaufighters) all within a stone's throw of each other on the coast.

20170129_111758.jpg?v=1613164637

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 10:18 PM, longshanks said:

A good looking sloop...

Perhaps the splinter padding could be emphasised with plastic card.  :shrug:

Keep up the good work

Stay safe

Kev

Well give it a try oh sage

On 2/21/2022 at 10:27 PM, robgizlu said:

I should have looked sooner but some will be on order for other builds.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, Modelholic said:

Could you build up some texture on the splinter matting with multiple coats of white glue?

Tom

Tom not sure I could get them all a decent texture.

On 2/22/2022 at 3:13 PM, JohnWS said:

Nice work beefy.

You're adding to my education professor, as this is one of many classes of ships I'm not aware of.  :dunce:   The Banff name intrigued me as it's also the name of a town & national park in the Canadian Rockies.  It was named by George Stephen, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, after his birthplace near Banff, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

John

That must be a later George Stephenson I know of he came from Wylam and built Locomotion No1

Tried this with plastic strip and a chisel might need a wide blade.  :idea:

spacer.png

Also had a couple of delivery's impressed by @robgizlu build from last year got this version and some extras from Starling Models and something a bit bigger from Wonderland Models.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8

Small update few more bits added to the bridge structures radar, vents and Bob's buckles ready for the funnel stay's and primed the depth charges and winch from Black Cat

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay safe

beefy

• Like 11

Well another small update this community on BM is great to be apart of but some people just stand out with the help they give (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE).  :worthy:

One such Gentleman is @robgizlu he very kindly offered me some of the Micro Master splinter matts and posted before I had a chance to even order some of my own.  👍

Now I have a few bits from this company destine for other builds but no splinter matts PIKE YOU SILLY BOY yes @longshanks you were right.

So after receiving said MM bits I really am in awe of the quality and detail of these 3D printed parts just wish I could do my own might take some lessons when I retire only 13 pay slips to go.  :wink:

So I have added some of the MM matts and my attempt with plastic strip as you can see the white bits will be getting replaced I still need to tidy the attachment point on the MM bits in my rush to try these bits out.  :rage: if only I had take notice or at least had some skill level.  :frantic:

Cheers Rob lesson learned there but for anyone on a budget give the plastic strip method a go it might take longer but me being lazy I have gone for the 3D it is the way to go you know it is.  :whistle:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

Well another small update some paint applied the main mast might need replacing just a bit of a bend to it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not much action on this but busy with some major home repairs after the storms and looking after aged parents

So small update managed to get a wash on the decks and the mast is painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay safe

beefy

• Like 10