Esquilo – Portuguese Chipmunk – Airfix 1/48

Glad to have this one finished!

This has been a bit of a long drawn-out build, I used a couple new techniques, had some fun with a bit of aftermarket, made a few mistakes – but overall, I’m very pleased 😊

As soon as Airfix announced their 1/48 Chipmunk, I knew I needed a few. The first I chose to model is in a rather unique scheme, it’s an ex-RAF Chipmunk that was painted in Portuguese markings, the colours are, I believe, incorrect, as I have never seen a Portuguese Chipmunk in light blue. I also have a slight connection to this aircraft; I’m hoping I can explain in the next few months.

Onto the kit; the kit went together pretty easily, once I sorted out the droopy wings. I replaced a few of the Airfix interior parts (stick, flap controls, canopy strut) with some finer brass tubing, the cowls were vacformed to as the kit parts were way too thick. I initially used the Kits World 3D printed decals for the instrument panel and straps, however they were pretty poor, stiff decals that were over-size and very grainy – instead, I used Eduards photo etch instrument panel and seatbelts, this also included a canopy sliding rail from PE.

The kit was a mixture of brush, can and airbrush. I sprayed the entire model with white primer before giving it a couple light coats of white humbrol spray, the yellow was then painted using Tamiya TS-47 chrome yellow (can sprayed). Following this, I brush painted the blue (Vallejo Model Color - Sky Blue) and the red (Hataka – Cherry Red). Everything was gloss varnished using Winsor and Newton Galeria acrylic gloss, out of my airbrush – the anti-glare panels received the same, in matt.

I bought myself a Molotow Liquid Chrome pen and used this to paint the landing light, oleos and tail light, it really is mirror like! Using Mig Panel Line Wash Deep Grey and Mig oils, I weathered the model to pictures (it’s surprisingly heavily weathered for a civilian Chipmunk), I was fortunate enough to do a walkaround and take loads of photos of this aircraft at a fly-in last year.

I made a few mistakes, mainly being I forgot to remove all the dust from the upper surfaces (after I’d left the model for a few weeks) before I gloss varnished – I only noticed this once I’d let the gloss dry – oops!

Anyway, I’m very pleased with the result, it certainly stands out on my shelf and I really enjoyed making this kit, Airfix have made a real cracker :D

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

1/48 Airfix Chipmunk

Here's a lovely air-to-air shot of the real aircraft. 

122_2666robbie.jpg

Thanks for looking, now I can crack on with the decals on my Sea Vixen!

Cheers

Ben

• Like 36

Very pretty. Quite like the idea of replacing the engine covers wit vac form replacements Nice touch.  I saw the real '1377' at Old Warden last May for the Chipmunk 75th. Looked very clean at the time.

• Like 1

This aircraft served for many years with the Hawker Siddeley flying club at Hawarden.  Registered G-BARS, it was stable mate to a rather nice B121 Pup G-AXDU, and my personal favourite Tiget Moth, G-ANTE.

All were painted in the same off white colour with very dark green cheat lines.  Happy days.

Lovely model Ben.

Chris.

• Like 1

Still like your model, but what's with the extra clear window on the top. Your photo of the real one clearly shows there isn't  one there and so.ethong that caught my eye when first seeing your pics. Still, an easy fix for you.

• Like 1

I like that a lot!!  This was actually going to be number 6 on my Chippie build list (once some decals came out) but nice to see you beat me to it. Like you say tho' AFAIK the colour scheme for G-BARS is somewhat inaccurate as Portuguese Chippies were either silver or pale grey and dayglo. They also only went up to 1376 too serial wise. Also glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Kits World 3D instrument panels and seatbelts are poor. Best to spend that little bit extra a fit some Eduard ones. Mind you, their Space set is even cheaper and you get some seatbelts as well  

Doesn't it make a difference when you thin down the cowlings too.

Anyway, very nice indeed!!

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Still like your model, but what's with the extra clear window on the top. Your photo of the real one clearly shows there isn't  one there and so.ethong that caught my eye when first seeing your pics. Still, an easy fix for you.

Ah, that'd be becuase I'm an idiot - good spot!