LRDG Chevrolet 30cwt truck

Carius

Hello folks,

Here is my 1/35 scale Tamiya Long Range Desert Group Chevrolet 30cwt Truck, built in 2014, but now with new better quality photos and smaller additions. I finished the model using Eduard PE 35251, tires from DToys 35-012, and lots of plastic and resin accessories (I have preserved my old Britmodeller WIP topic, but i don't know how to insert the link here). Like I said, I like the trucks, but in particular this model because their lines of 1930 and their curious camouflage schemes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Carius
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 3

Hello Carius,

what a beautifully finished model that is.  It's not just the weathering that appeals to me but also the attention to detail on the weapon placements; that Lee Enfield .303 looks very good indeed.  I also like the war-weary effect that you have given it.  Brilliant!

Could I ask an off-topic question?  Did any of the Chevrolet 30cwt trucks survive into postwar civilian use?

Cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hello Carius,

what a beautifully finished model that is.  It's not just the weathering that appeals to me but also the attention to detail on the weapon placements; that Lee Enfield .303 looks very good indeed.  I also like the war-weary effect that you have given it.  Brilliant!

Could I ask an off-topic question?  Did any of the Chevrolet 30cwt trucks survive into postwar civilian use?

Cheers,
Mike

I thank your kind words Mike.

Honestly I don't know to answer your question, but civilian vehicles modelers will surely be able to answer you.

Cheers from Brazil,

Cesar

21 minutes ago, Milan Mynar said:

Hello Carius,

bautiful model you made, great finish.

Many thanks Milan

Thanks for looking

Cesar

This is wonderful Carius 👏

Detail draws you in nicely, those Shell flimsies are brilliant, the detailing is superb and weathering sublime. I'm reading all about the cammo schemes in Mike Starmer books as I type in preparation for my MWD and this build is exactly what I needed to inspire me

We'll done and thanks 👍😁

Andrew 

• Like 1

I thank the recognition of my efforts Andrew, you are very kind. It's great to know that this kit inspired you. There are many different and interesting camouflage patterns for this truck indeed.

Have fun with your project

Cesar

Edited by Carius
  • Like 1

I'm currently reading Damien Lewis' SAS Ghost Patrol which describes the "behind the lines" Allied raid on Tobruk in 1942 in which both the LRDG and SAS participated.

I think you've captured the lived in and weather worn condition of the LRDG's wagons which was described in Lewis' book perfectly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

I'm currently reading Damien Lewis' SAS Ghost Patrol which describes the "behind the lines" Allied raid on Tobruk in 1942 in which both the LRDG and SAS participated.

I think you've captured the lived in and weather worn condition of the LRDG's wagons which was described in Lewis' book perfectly.

Very interesting Richard that you said.

In my case a little intuition, competence and luck, I guess :hmmm:

I'm always learning

Cesar

1 hour ago, phildagreek said:

Like it!

Great :lol:, glad you like it

1 hour ago, Trevor L said:

Very nice. The extra details and additions lift it above the norm.

I'm just coming to the end of building one myself, but mine's a bit more 'bog standard'.

Many thanks Trevor.

The end result of your 30cwt project will be very attractive.

The important thing is that you do your best.

Cesar

Edited by Carius

That's a terrific old Chevy, loaded up and ready to go. Great paint, weathering and detailing. 

I have preserved my old Britmodeller WIP topic, but i don't know how to insert the link here

@Carius I took the liberty of finding your old build log and posting the link here. Let me know if you want it taken off.

Chevrolet 30CWT LRDG - full assembly until the end by Carius

• Like 1

Hi Cesar,

Terrific model!, an authentic beauty, I love the weathering and above all the amount of equipment, everywhere, very well integrated.
Very nice photos too, if anything I would like to see some of the underside of the truck, but it doesn't matter, maybe you should take new photos.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maginot said:

That's a terrific old Chevy, loaded up and ready to go. Great paint, weathering and detailing. 

@Carius I took the liberty of finding your old build log and posting the link here. Let me know if you want it taken off.

Chevrolet 30CWT LRDG - full assembly until the end by Carius

Hi mate, many thanks.

Thanks for your help with my old WIP topic :cheers:

Cheers from Brazil

Cesar

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You have truly surpassed yourself with this one Cesar. I echo everything that has already been said. It's a fabulous model. Great work all round.

John.

Hi John I thank your kind words.

Thanks for looking my friend.

Cesar

13 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Cesar,

Terrific model!, an authentic beauty, I love the weathering and above all the amount of equipment, everywhere, very well integrated.
Very nice photos too, if anything I would like to see some of the underside of the truck, but it doesn't matter, maybe you should take new photos.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hello my friend, glad you like it.

I will take some pictures of the underside of the vehicle as soon as possible and I hope you approve.

Cheers :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Beautiful result Carius. Details are amazing. Especially those flimsies. 

Many thanks Nenad.

These british flimsy fuel can are very characteristic during the desert war, I think. The photo below was my inspiration for my project:

spacer.png

Cheers

• Like 4

Beautiful work on this kiwi classic!

You might be interested to know that - at least according to my very limited knowledge of the language - ‘Te Taniwha’ is Moari for ‘The Monster’, which is slightly incongruous in this case because Taniwhas normally live in the sea, rivers or lakes and not in desert where this one has taken up residence!

Great model! 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Low flyer said:

Great work there Cesar, so much so I have just gone and ordered one, thanks for the inspiation

Despite being old it is a very good kit, and the only one of its type 1/35 injected in plastic I think.

It's actually one of my favorites, I have another one in the box waiting for new inspiration.

Have fun with your Chevy.

Cesar

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Cesar. I hope you are keeping well. That really is awesome. I am really impressed with the finish and detailing! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hello Stix, I'm fine and I hope you are too.

Thanks a lot.

Cesar

4 hours ago, Toryu said:

Wonderful! Looks like right out of the desert!

Many thanks Toryu.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Beautiful work on this kiwi classic!

You might be interested to know that - at least according to my very limited knowledge of the language - ‘Te Taniwha’ is Moari for ‘The Monster’, which is slightly incongruous in this case because Taniwhas normally live in the sea, rivers or lakes and not in desert where this one has taken up residence!

Great model! 👍

Many thanks Steve, really interesting, so it is the sand ocean monster. Correct, because it caused a lot of damage behind enemy lines.

Cesar

Edited by Carius
  • Like 1