1/350 Dunkerque (II)

Hi All 

Completed build number 2, much happier with this than the first. The kit itself comes with five photoetch frets, so that up'd the challenge from Dreadnought for starters. She's brush painted in Humbrol enamels, mixed up my own red for the hull, then decks are 123, and hull/uppers is 125. The kits is very nicely engineered and goes together a dream generally. I augmented it with Model master barrels for the main and secondary armament and then likewise Model masters resin and turned brass aa guns (2 types) and training guns (they were chuffing awkward/tiny). The kit has some railing but lacks the main deck and most of the boat deck as well, so that is from my Repulse kit as I have after market for her. I added a thin line of evergreen strip to replicate a wooden rail that ran around her stern and scratch built the struts for the seaplane. It was my first proper go with photo etch and then I tried simplified rigging and overall I'm very pleased with her. She's taken a long while to complete but that was partly due to the amount of time between coats of paint at the start of the build then my wandering attention, a really nice kit to build and is such a handsome looking ship I might well do her sister ship at some point, 

Apologies some of the pics aren't great, my phone refuses to focus at times, 

Firsts;

Photoetch as well as working out my own for that not provided

Main barrels

AA Resin and barrels

Pin washing

Rigging

Build log here;

y4micr3RNYck4ajOxOaYiYRkPqhaEkYoqigmSdx-

y4m7_-7n1NetgXaUqYm6dcVWo2I3qFAJhDHgf1ci

y4m0EOcrRzZZ0L2XL54wKimdCmbr3ibIRUor63xq

y4my_ex-HbYl_KLZk-dCi9VcInWeF8qDqS9a5SSt

y4m7Ea3tMOzj_zUepA-XfLf_1ejsYrLm5JADXiOF

y4mHrj0y0loU0Mtl8BmSgYbfqbCVmWrpRjunDdpx

y4m6vNIKoJmFn6vLxzU4Mss762aafSzPaDneaaJZ

y4mR7jVtcbtcdmDjK2FL-MSeTklqTLswOqkrBBDN

y4mw7kUjb5PQLriznotXBtJJl-ux1roODxWhB85L

y4msdNYte_qP3LK8Or4Uoz8CNIgiOomzm95gwAlt

y4m65gDtB7Kt405wUX2isHZRy3nHORP-S6eiesNB

I recently did a presentation course and the guidance was always one thing you liked (or more) and one thing you could do better so points I can improve are always welcome

thanks for looking

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Well.......that’s the dogs dodahs.:worthy:
A most excellent build. The rigging is superb.

If you don’t mind I’ll start mine in a few years time, and maybe yours will be forgotten. :whistle:

Jon

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi guys thanks very much for the comments,

40 minutes ago, Boydie said:

You've done a really fabulous job on this kit. Always thought Dunkerque was a beautiful and unique ship. One I want to build in the future.

I can fully recommend the kit 

25 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

Great job,  cant believe you brushed painted it as well, well done

Thanks, it was a little patience testing but got there when I finally got the thinning ratio right 

20 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Well.......that’s the dogs dodahs.:worthy:
A most excellent build. The rigging is superb.

If you don’t mind I’ll start mine in a few years time, and maybe yours will be forgotten. :whistle:

Jon

Lol, I expect to see it start next week end! I'm sure it'll be a beaut 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Well that has turned out very nice and a cracking job on the rigging your spider must be well trained.  :spider:

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks beefy, it took a while but I got him to go where I wanted eventually 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Thanks beefy, it took a while but I got him to go where I wanted eventually 

If your rigging spider :spider:is not too busy, can I borrow him to rig Grey Goose ?

Jon

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Congratulations, really fantastic. Do you mind letting us know what type of line you used for the rigging?

Thanks, yes certainly, it's mig ammos fine (.02mm) rigging thread. As much as it's sold as mig's it's actually mafe by uschi I believe and is better value bought from them if you can find it

9 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Very smart looking ship model. Brush painted? The real deal. Nice touch with the Loire 130 flying boat.

Thanks, yeah all done by brush, I've invested in an airbrush now though, should speed things up a bit in places 

On 13/02/2022 at 17:27, S-boat 55 said:

and the guidance was always one thing you liked (or more) and one thing you could do better

Then do something wrong! But seriously good build and enjoyed watching her come together. As others have said, she's a good looking ship - a view I've also heard/read from Hood's crew, who were in a good place to judge. Really clean build, although one thing it could do with is some crew to give a sense of scale? Not really a minus point, but helps give perspective, otherwise I really gave this a good look over and have come up short trying to find negatives.

David

I think that quarterdeck wood railing bit has come out really well too. PE work overall is some of the best I've seen.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

This one is outstanding. The rigging really does make a difference, doesn't it?

I'm pretty happy with how ot turned out, I thibk planning it out earlier would have made it easier but it wasn't originally my intention to rig her. Glad I did though as the 'crown' really calls out for it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...