50th Anniversary Puma, Duxford, 10th February 2022

Mr T

While we were at Duxford last Thursday, this Puma dropped in for an hour or so. It is XW224 and presumably one of the oldest Pumas left in service. It was marked up with all the unit badges that have operated Pumas over the years, and had the current fad for silly Union Jack shapes on the tail. This was not fairing well with a muck from the exhaust. Not the greatest photo, but it was parked a distance away and as always at Duxford, the sun was in the wrong place.

51879045091_70edc09773_k_d.jpg

It was taken on our Canon PowerShot SX720. Long since ditched my SLR after my stroke.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s lovely, so good to see in proper camo not all over green too.

It's not quite there, the original scheme was DSG/DG/Black undersides, then it went to DG/Lichen Green then the overall green, this one looks like it doesn't have the black undersides.

30 minutes ago, Wez said:

It's not quite there, the original scheme was DSG/DG/Black undersides, then it went to DG/Lichen Green then the overall green, this one looks like it doesn't have the black undersides.

Although Mr T's pic above doesn't clearly show it, the undersides are indeed black as my photo beneath indicates.

img%5D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, canberraman said:

Although Mr T's pic above doesn't clearly show it, the undersides are indeed black as my photo beneath indicates.

Thanks for that, the black had a much higher demarcation in my day, especially on the cabin.  Still looks nice though and brings back some memories.

• Like 1

So that's what it looked like when it was first done and still clean. Looking at the photo it never occurred to me that it was in the original scheme. Just my memory telling me that is the colours a Puma should be. That's why it looks so much nicer than most of the other Pumas I have seen over the last few years. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Just my memory telling me that is the colours a Puma should be.

You're right, it's how they were when I first started working on them.

Some time in the early 90's they went away for a structural mod after which, they came back painted in the DG/Lichen Green scheme, unfortunately, one of ours needed to have its tail boom replaced and the only replacement tail boom was painted in the earlier DSG/DG/Black scheme.  We the groundcrew liked our mix'n'match cab but the sqn boss wasn't too happy with it, eventually it went in for a Minor servicing and it came back with the tailboom either replaced or repainted with a green/green example.  The boss was much happier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Evalman said:

I seem to remember the demarcation line between the cammo and black in the early days wasn't a straight line but wavy. 

You're right although it did vary an awful lot.