Fiat CR.42 „Falco” 1:32 ICM

Kriss

Hello! Here is another model that landed in my workshop, the first one because in such a large for me scale 1:32. And the hero that landed in the workshop is Fiat CR.42 "Falco" in the already mentioned scale 1:32 from the company ICM. 32020. In the box we find 6 frames of grey plastic and one transparent, a decal and a manual with two variants of camouflage. On the frames the manufacturer has placed a whole range of accessories for building various versions of the "Falco", which is included in the ICM offer. Returning to the mouldings, ICM has included different surfaces on the model, so where the surface is covered with sheet metal it is smooth, and where it is covered with canvas, apart from the realistic reflection of the canvas deflection it also has a different surface texture corresponding to that of the canvas. ICM has also included in the instructions a template for making masks for the windshield, but I will write about it later when I am at that stage of building the Fiat. ICM has also released a very nice supplement not only for "Falco" in the form of a set of Italian pilot figures, which will also fit other models of Italian aviation.  I'm going to use following extras while building my model:

Eduard 33979 

Eduard 33271 seatbelts.

Yahu models YMA3267 instrument panel

CMK 5141 main wheels - ordered and waiting for delivery.

KAGERO TOPDRAWINGS 102 Fiat CR.42

Pzl0jbY.jpg

S0LDacV.jpg

4wulv8E.jpg

gB8yJfU.jpg

fkGqeCA.jpg

F7zRBf3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The introduction has been made so it is time to show that something is going on with the model. After putting it to the plans this "Falco" fits perfectly, but it lacks riveting and I have to mark some dividing lines and also some flaps. Some of the riveting and marking out I did on the fuselage before making the interior, it's just easier for me.

fXmlKge.jpg

Nqj2uxo.jpg

4BPqdiE.jpg

• Like 9

Oh, this is a kit I'm quite interested in, I'll watch with interest !

Don't know if you need detail pictures, if so there's a few walkarounds of the Falco on this page, some with pictures taken during the restoration of two aircraft that show well the structure.

https://www.tantopergioco.it/immagini/walkaround/walkaround-aerei-a-elica/gallery/cr42/

• Like 2

I have enriched the interior of the cabin with plates from EDUARD, the only problem was the position of the step in the cabin because the manual does not specify its exact location. I have helped myself with some documentation including photos found on the net and I have assembled the left panel with the floor and in this way I have placed the step on the left side. 

OQsJGAg.jpg

Cabin interior parts waiting for processing.

ynBmMXY.jpg

And partially glued parts waiting for primer.

hZ8fjxe.jpg

• Like 6

I laid the primer and then continued the work. I wanted to make natural looking exposition marks in the cockpit, so I painted the places where there would be bruises and scuffs in the same color as the primer and then applied a coat of hairspray and then the base color for the interior. I used the hairspray so that the base color could be easily used to make paint chips on used surfaces.

AFE7kIN.jpg

• Like 3

The EDUADR kit comes with tinted pilot stripes that you have to ink yourself on the reverse side. I have to paint them on the other side so that after forming I don't have a bare sheet of metal. The seat cushion is a bit more fun as I had to glue it with a piece of plastic to the right thickness and then, like with the belts, also retouch it with the right color. Such a small detail but how happy.

yq8aQgl.jpg

32VbHqq.jpg

• Like 3

The cockpit equipment continues. After the belts it is time for the clocks. I have got not only the company kit but also the EDUARD plate and YAHU Models kit. I have chosen YAHU kit and added some EDUARD parts to it. Now I am putting everything together.

HB39dNo.jpg

G7MQ5oH.jpg

rVwcS6l.jpg

• Like 5

Work in the cockpit is almost finished, I have added missing cables and wires. With the clocks I made the base from YAHU and added some elements from EDUARD sheet. I also made the sight glass. Now I have to close the fuselage and start further construction.

xwiUK9R.jpg

f6RTjO6.jpg

PC198Lp.jpg

jNUYu8e.jpg

WHF6p14.jpg

bDWynO3.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since the last post and construction has slowly moved forward. As well as the renovation of my new workshop. Returning to the model ICM has very nicely done a replica of the double star engine, also interestingly ICM has solved its assembly by hiding the mounting pins cleverly and which are also intended to catch the geometry and proper assembly of the engine and its cowl. The engine can be made in a closed cowl as well as in various combinations of open. With the open option we have to put covers on the cylinders. In the cylinders there is a hole where the plug should be and I used it and made the plugs. I painted engine parts in appropriate colors and completed them with EDUARD plates. Two side covers will be removed so something will be visible. As you can see on the pictures I painted the parts separately and then put them together. Thanks to the pegs it can be put together without any problems.

Eqq2Zuc.jpg

Mgy4QPz.jpg

bgqjCW0.jpg

oYClKtk.jpg

B7hUPrB.jpg

• Like 4

I haven't had the chance, but I'll brag about another addition to "Falco" and that is the resin wheels from CMK. The wheels have realistic tyre deflection, replicated lettering on the tyre and corrected rim. CMK also offers wheels for the Fiat G.50 and these are the same wheels, only without the deflection, I also have the G.50 and I will start it soon. In order to show such a beautiful wheel I will make one undercarriage shin closed and the other open. The model will gain in attractiveness. The next step was to paint the tyre and its masking to be able to paint the rim. While masking, the cabin cover was also masked. As I wrote earlier ICM has included in the instruction a template for making the masks, but due to my laziness I did not use it and made the masks myself.

OOTZymn.jpg

svN6NqP.jpg

gi6Ximk.jpg

CzXWjze.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know how it is for you, but I sometimes take the model to work and there I can build it. Being at night I was able to improve the camouflage painting. The only disadvantage is that I can not take good pictures there as well as now at home due to renovation.

ysONQ9F.jpg

• Like 2

The engine cover was riveted and put together. Except of two side covers which will be next to show engine. Camouflage colors were applied but not all of them. Same goes for the chassis, one built up and the other with covers removed to show the resin wheels with beautiful CMK camouflage. 

nIbjJGu.jpg

• Like 2

I managed to put the last camouflage color, it was fun to paint and you can see the effect in the picture. Slowly the end and next models are waiting in the queue.

86hEmn9.jpg

• Like 2

Assembly is in progress and it's going on at best. And I have to admit that the fit of the parts is perfect, everything fits and nothing needs to be fiddled with to fit the parts. All you have to do is to follow the instructions and look how the pins are positioned. The model is almost ready, and by the way as the "Falco" is put together I would like to ask how the camouflage came out? I ask because it is my first 32.

EiTZXdS.jpg

Qf5wHAQ.jpg

• Like 4