Necco Wafers

Mike

A few years ago my wife bought 'Hershey's Kisses' and decided they tasted like vomit. She tried offering them to everyone and anyone who came close but her opening line of "Would you like to try these, they taste like puke?" never seemed to result in anyone willing to try it. 

I recall someone of the American persuasion once told me that, during WWII the US confectionary manufactures turned to cheap and 'long life' ingredients as their contribution to the War effort and, after the war decided that the profits were so much better that they decided not to change back. Perhaps apocryphal then again perhaps not. 

The 'Almond Joy was a huge disappointment to me as I love almonds and marzipan and thought it would be something delicious on those sort of lines. Imagine how dissed my gruntle was when I hungrily grabbed one only to discover that it was simply a 'Bounty Bar' piece with a bleedin' almond superglued on top!

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Beardie said:

I recall someone of the American persuasion once told me that, during WWII the US confectionary manufactures turned to cheap and 'long life' ingredients as their contribution to the War effort and, after the war decided that the profits were so much better that they decided not to change back. Perhaps apocryphal then again perhaps not. 

Maybe related to that, I remember reading somewhere years ago that the chocolate issued by the US army in WWII ration packs was deliberately given an unpleasant taste to discourage them being eaten other than in emergencies. I've often wondered if it backfired resulting in a lot of GIs developing a taste for the stuff with that type of chocolate then being produced and sold commercially.

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, -Ian- said:

Maybe related to that, I remember reading somewhere years ago that the chocolate issued by the US army in WWII ration packs was deliberately given an unpleasant taste to discourage them being eaten other than in emergencies. I've often wondered if it backfired resulting in a lot of GIs developing a taste for the stuff with that type of chocolate then being produced and sold commercially.

Could explain a lot.  Mind you, since Cadbury's was bought out by some American company, the quality (and size) of their output had diminished while the price has skyrocketed. :shrug: It's a good job I'm not a chocolate fan per se.

• Like 1

Having visited the US a few times what strikes me about American food in general is how sweet a lot if stuff is and the portion sizes ridiculous. Even the bread had a sweet taste to it. My daughter spent a semester at Kansas University in Lawrence and found the eating experience 'interesting'. Never rated the chocolate, even the quality stuff was about as good as modern Thorntons. It is telling that the manufacturers in the US do not appear to put the percentage of cocoa butter in the ingredients list. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Having visited the US a few times what strikes me about American food in general is how sweet a lot if stuff is and the portion sizes ridiculous. Even the bread had a sweet taste to it.

Indeed. I was never happy with store-bought bread, so we've been making our own for 20-odd years. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:20 PM, Mike said:

It's interesting that even in this global world, there are still differences within a single country with what's available. 

Too right.   Can't find any Scottish macaroni cheese pies in the Midlands !!

Edited by IanHx

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking as an American, the problem with just about everything that most of the world sees as "American" is the only the overly hyped commercialized swill that is made for the "average white-bread American". I can however say that the actual experience is somewhat different. Most Americans equally gripe and hold a distain for those things and would much rather eat the local, regional, or more exotic fare in their own neck of the woods. Sure there seems to be a McDonald's every thirteen feet here, but in-between them are much better options.

Being such a "melting pot" of different cultures has a distinct advantage. Here in Tacoma (a smaller city just south of Seattle) we are spoilt for choice. Within a few blocks can be found mind alteringly good Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Italian, English, Mexican, French (my wife is a Cordon Blue trained chef), or "traditional" American restaurants. But they are all small, hole-in-the-wall type places that out-of-towners have never heard of. Or for the uninspired, you can pick one of the three McDonalds' here in town.

I can't speak for the British Isles, having only ever been to Ireland on a layover, but I found my time in continental Europe much less varied. Sure, the German food was great in Germany, the French food was great in France, and the Spanish food was "present" in Spain, but there was no vast variety that I could find.

As for Necco Wafers, as I don't have a sweet tooth, I love them. Many don't as they are a decidedly "old fashioned" taste; very powdery, and quite bittersweet. But those that like them, will defend their honor to the grave.

Edited by RainierHooker
spelling
  • Like 5

On 2/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, Paul Bradley said:

Apparently, according to the BBC, the difference is in how they treat the milk -  "Hershey's puts milk through a process called lipolysis, Earle says. This partially sours the milk, and creates butyric acid - a compound found in such diverse substances as parmesan cheese and baby spit-up. "

Hadn't realised it's actually intended to taste like baby-sick.  They succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

• Haha 4

On 2/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, Paul Bradley said:

Apparently, according to the BBC, the difference is in how they treat the milk -  "Hershey's puts milk through a process called lipolysis, Earle says. This partially sours the milk, and creates butyric acid - a compound found in such diverse substances as parmesan cheese and baby spit-up. It gives the chocolate a "tangy taste" as Earle puts it. The chief advantage of this method is that chocolate can remain on shelves longer without the taste changing - but it's also a taste American consumers have become accustomed to and nowadays even expect." So, yeah - there's a bit of an aftertaste...

Butyric acid?  I'm given to understand that it's a fermentation product which gives silage its characteristic smell.  Can't imagine that catching on as a sweet flavouring where I come from.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:20 AM, JosephLalor said:

Butyric acid?  I'm given to understand that it's a fermentation product which gives silage its characteristic smell.  Can't imagine that catching on as a sweet flavouring where I come from.

No, only in America ...