Necco Wafers

Mike

Howdy y'all? :D :cowboy:

I know, it's a stereotype, but I couldn't resist :wicked:

I was watching How It's Made the other day and saw a segment about the making of Necco Wafers, which had me drooling. :tasty:   To our esteemed Americans that have eaten these nice looking sweeties, are they are tasty as they look?  Couldn't seem to find them over here without buying a ton and risking import duty, which would have made them stupidly expensive for something that probably costs less than a dollah over there.  I imagine they'd taste similar to Edinburgh Rock, which is a crumbly thing, contrary to its rock name.

Your opinions please?  Inquiring and greedy minds need to know. :eat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Must be an East Coast thing - I've been here nigh on 30 years and I've never heard of them! 

For the uninitiated, there's a definite difference in what's available in stores from region to region in this country and I'm sure many West Coast/South West staples are not available elsewhere. We watch a cooking show, based in New England, that rates ingredients and we're often shown groceries that are not available out here. 

• Like 2

Hmmm I never find that American sweeties live up to expectations and cost a fortune here. Last one I tried was 'Charleston Chew'. Read of them in books and hear them mentioned in TV shows so I bought one in a petrol station in Dumbarton (they keep a lot) and it cost two quid for a bar. My assessment? Orrible, reminded me of the cheapest of the cheap toffees that you could buy as a kid. I was so disappointed! The only ones I rate are 'Payday' and 'Butterfingers'

• Sad 1

Not bad tasting as candy goes they remind me of the pink spearmint lozenges I got by the bag as a kid. It's an old fashioned candy, a little powdery tasting. But they do make great shingles for gingerbread houses.:innocent:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Last one I tried was 'Charleston Chew'. 

Like Bit-o-Honeys or the older Mary Janes, the kinda taffy my mom would call a tooth puller. Chew on one of those with a loose tooth and guaranteed said denture would extract itself. 

• Like 2

Sorry I've been late replying, I was tiddling about with a review. It's interesting that even in this global world, there are still differences within a single country with what's available.  We've had no glowing praise of their flavour so far, so I'm guessing they're not the beloved candy that the narrator made them out to be.  I believe production stopped a while back, and has only started going again this last few years, but I read that on the internet, so who knows whether it's true :lol:

I've never not seen them in the stores but thats here in the Eastern U.S. They're definitely not a kit-kat, but if you only had 25cents for a candy bar and everything was 50 cents that's what you chose(quiet, I know I'm telling my age, I still remember Clark bars

at 15 Cents so There:bleh:) But if you want me to send you  a couple Mike wouldn't run that much.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Sorry I've been late replying, I was tiddling about with a review. It's interesting that even in this global world, there are still differences within a single country with what's available.  We've had no glowing praise of their flavour so far, so I'm guessing they're not the beloved candy that the narrator made them out to be.  I believe production stopped a while back, and has only started going again this last few years, but I read that on the internet, so who knows whether it's true :lol:

No production never stopped Ive always seen them in the midwest U.S., however it did fall to very limited amount as they're not really popular with most. Kind of how candy corn is not really liked at Halloween. If you aren't familiar with candy corn, consider yourself lucky. 

• Like 1

You know I might actually quite like those Necco Wafers after looking them up on Wikipedia. Cinnamon, Wintergreen and Licorice are flavours that I am rather fond of, along with rootbeer, that really aren't very common in the UK, in fact, to be honest they are actually quite rare flavours here. 

There is a chain of shops that sell American style 'candy' bars etc here in the UK.I bought some Twinkies a while back,not too bad,but love the jelly beans they sell.Went to the states 30 years ago,had to try a Hershey bar after seeing it in movies,highly disappointed,too sweet.

• Like 1

I like Necco's.  The company that made them went out of business but has recently been brought back by another company.  They only seem to be available at Walgreens or CVS.

Like Sweethearts is the best description.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to annoy a few 'real' Americans here by saying that Hershey's isn't real chocolate. Always reminds me of the really cheap and nasty Easter eggs we used to get as kids. 

I've converted more than a few over here to Cadburys.

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 7

AHH, Necco wafers...

Too bad they are gone, I grew up on the east coast back in the 60's and 70's and remember these well, along with the "Sweethearts" heart-shaped candies with little sayings printed on them for Valentines Day, I think those are gone too.

Oh, and original salt-water taffy...

Yep, too bad. Another icon of the days gone by before corporate greed started meaning more than craftsmanship and originality.

Sad...

1 hour ago, Paul Bradley said:

I'm going to annoy a few 'real' Americans here by saying that Hershey's isn't real chocolate. Always reminds me of the really cheap and nasty Easter eggs we used to get as kids. 

I've converted more than a few over here to Cadburys.

That's a rather generous description of Hershey bars IMO, tried one once and the way I'd describe it is vomit flavoured chocolate.

Isn't US branded Cadburys different to the UK Cadburys too?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

I'm going to annoy a few 'real' Americans here by saying that Hershey's isn't real chocolate. 

agreed. I've always said that Hershey's use sand as a base for their chocolate. It's truly horrible. As for those Necco thingies - I saw them for the first time just the other day in the supermarket, (I'm in the MD/DE/PA tristate area) but I'm not about to try them.  The only US sweeties that I've found decent (at a push) are Milk Duds.

As for putting peanut butter in sweeties... ???  

Gimme lucky tatties or Aztec bars any day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Ian- said:

Isn't US branded Cadburys different to the UK Cadburys too?

Ironically, it's license-made in the US by Hersheys.......

There's a sordid tale involved, but Hersheys bought the license, and while they didn't alter the recipe by much, they do use different ingredients, which means it has a sweeter taste and the texture isn't quite the same. At the same time, they apparently managed to get the import of proper Cadburys from England banned, though I can still find it in certain import stores so I don't know how true that is. 

Apparently, according to the BBC, the difference is in how they treat the milk -  "Hershey's puts milk through a process called lipolysis, Earle says. This partially sours the milk, and creates butyric acid - a compound found in such diverse substances as parmesan cheese and baby spit-up. It gives the chocolate a "tangy taste" as Earle puts it. The chief advantage of this method is that chocolate can remain on shelves longer without the taste changing - but it's also a taste American consumers have become accustomed to and nowadays even expect." So, yeah - there's a bit of an aftertaste...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, -Ian- said:

That's a rather generous description of Hershey bars IMO, tried one once and the way I'd describe it is vomit flavoured chocolate.

I was given some once as part of my initiation into the Great American Experience.  It was vile.  I would have more happily eaten the cardboard stiffener behind the bar.

And now the (American) owners of Cadbury are busily trying, with a considerable degree of success, to ruin that brand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ddw867 said:

AHH, Necco wafers...

Too bad they are gone, I grew up on the east coast back in the 60's and 70's and remember these well, along with the "Sweethearts" heart-shaped candies with little sayings printed on them for Valentines Day, I think those are gone too.

Oh, and original salt-water taffy...

Yep, too bad. Another icon of the days gone by before corporate greed started meaning more than craftsmanship and originality.

Sad...

Where I come from Taffy is a bloke from Wales.......

• Haha 4