Big, fat and lazy - Eduard Bf110E

The Eduard Bf110 kits promised so much but delivered so little; they are over-engineered in many areas, unnecessarily complicated and poorly fitting in all the places you’ve discovered. Thoroughly nasty in my opinion! The older Monogram/Revell offering has its issues but is a much more pleasant build.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, galgos said:

The Eduard Bf110 kits promised so much but delivered so little; they are over-engineered in many areas, unnecessarily complicated and poorly fitting in all the places you’ve discovered. Thoroughly nasty in my opinion!

As much as I'd love to disagree, I think you're right.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After having definitely having some time available on Monday after work, then Wednesday after work, then Thursday after work, and then yesterday after getting jobs done, I finally got to spraying the underside in RLM76 this evening.  The picture doesn't show the full effect, but in principle I'm happy with the mottled black base.

spacer.png

I'll try to take some better pictures as I go, but in reality you can see much more tonal variation than you can in the above image.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 7

Some nice progress, good to see you’re still plugging away on this.  That pic of the underside shows what a great save you’ve made on the misaligned nacelles, grea5 job with that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After nearly four months (how the hell did that happen?) I finally seem to have well and truly got my groove back and am hammering away at the part-built kits that were languishing in the loft following the house move.

Look what the cat dragged in!!:

spacer.png

Previously I seemed to have been struggling to do much with this build but I'd done more of it than I thought.  It turns out that I'd sprayed the RLM75 areas of the upper sides (other than the nose, for some reason, but hey...) prior to moving, but I'd not documented it on BM and had forgotten about having done so.  I'd also done 80% of the masking for the RLM74, so when I brought the build down out of the loft yesterday I decided to crack on with it.  After working on my wee Stuka this morning, and the F-5F earlier this afternoon I decided that the time was ripe to extend the building session and the above is the result.  I'm not going to go too wild getting it perfect as the whole lot will disappear under a coat of white distemper before the build is finished, but given that the white will be heavily weathered I wanted whatever is underneath it to look presentable.

I need to get some RLM75 on the nose, get some RLM65 on the fuselage sides and then get the mottling on next, but for the moment I'm just happy to have made some progress.

Cheers,

(A very chuffed) JRK

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Time still seems to be passing very slowly where this build is concerned; I have, however, managed to get the fuselage mottling, yellow Ostfront markings, and the gloss coat on.  I've also got round to little things like re-attaching the nose guns, painting the airscrews, spinners and tailwheel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm feeling much better about the whole affair now - it's looking reasonably good, and, disasters aside, coming along well.  I'm hopefully going to be able to get the decals on soon, and then attempt some paint chipping, panel-lining etc.  I won't do too much weathering as it'll all disappear under the white distemper soon, and that will herald a pretty hefty chunk of weathering in itself.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 11

spacer.png

Most of the major decals are on - yay!  However, I screwed up one of the underwing Balkenkreuz decals and have had to order replacements - boo!  The nose panel isn't fixed down yet, hence the slight gaps in the Wespe emblem.

We are getting there.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Definitely looking the part! Those Wespe markings must have been a bit of a nightmare to get on. 

Craig. 

Yes and no; they went on better than I thought they would but they don't fit as well as I assumed would be the case.  A little work with a paintbrush and all will be good, I think.

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2022 at 16:50, jackroadkill said:

We are getting there.

In a slightly Trumpian manner, I have been hoisted by my own internet posting; it's been weeks since I made the above confident statement.

However, as you can see, I have actually got a little work done; the (frankly awful) undercarriage legs have been affixed more than once.  I don't understand how a manufacturer of Eduard's calibre can get away with having you stick the legs onto a 2mm square mount and thinking "Yeah, that'll support the weight, no problem".  Next time they break off I'll have to resort to drilling and pinning, or something equally as tedious, to make the bloody thing work.

spacer.png

I've also splattered some PLW onto the gaps (topsides too) and hopefully I'll be able to wash them down and get a matt coat on before August 2314.

• Like 11

You’ve put so much effort into this, and achieved the proverbial silk purse as a result, it would be a shame to wait two hundred years to slap a flat coat on it and call it done.

• Haha 1

As much of a pig as this one's been, it's becoming a great model. And also acting as a warning for anyone else tempted to try one...

James

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 81-er said:

And also acting as a warning

I've been told that I often stand as either a good example or a terrible warning.  Maybe in this case I'm a good example of a terrible warning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Due to desperately trying to keep occupied I have resorted to slapping some white distemper over the beast:

spacer.png

This is only a first go, and depending on how well it turns out I might put some more on before staining it up.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 9

I was wondering where this one had got to.  Happy to see more progress, and good progress too - that distemper is great and I wouldn’t touch it if you’re going for a late winter/worn out look, it’s very convincing as is.

Edited by mark.au
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

I was wondering where this one had got to.  Happy to see more progress, and good progress too - that distemper is great and I wouldn’t touch it if you’re going for a late winter/worn out look, it’s very convincing as is.

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

I'm absolutely agreeing with Mark, leave it at that as it looks great! Good to see you getting some bench time in too :)

James

Thanks chaps.  It needs some tidying up and maybe a bit of messing up with some mud splatter etc but I'm reasonably happy with the first step of the process.  I think I can improve it a bit before it's finished. 

• Like 2