MPC 1/72 Hawk #2 underway

My first build for 2022. This will be the companion Hawk to the all-white version I posted up here last year. Similar paint colors with the exception of using Tamiya X-6 Orange, which is a gloss but will be flattened with TS-80 after decals are done.

6HLoGpB.jpg

Nasty seams! 😠

PfenmuC.jpg

I ran some Tamiya masking tape on both sides of the command module and puttied them up:

JZJikGf.jpg

The result after masking tape is pulled:

neX5oVE.jpg

Some elbow grease, all better now!

w70kYS3.jpg

Hmm, something's missing... 🤔

rABawV3.jpg

Ready to hunt some Eagles! 😆

oWMutee.jpg

Time to sling some of that signature orange livery. top and bottom.

iDnMMoo.jpg

JAZdC76.jpg

After the tape is pulled. I swear, a clean masking job reveal is like unwrapping gifts on Christmas morning.

HNx2Mrf.jpg

zTQwLuk.jpg

7U3q4WB.jpg

S3oSxl5.jpg

More to follow later!

• Like 14

Dry-fitting painted sub-assemblies today (main engine, side boosters & missile pods). Still have a fair amount of final painting before decal application can start.

OGNyVMA.jpg

qCM0zb1.jpg

CuDYtsf.jpg

8m7wdBb.jpg

ZAaFYc0.jpg

BTfmEy4.jpg

LNa8qnR.jpg

Edited by HadesOmega
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...

More progress! Weathering added this round. I use a homemade wash mix I found on the interwebz:

4 pts. dish soap (I use detergent)
1 pt. paint (Tamiya Nato Black)
1 pt. plain water

Apply and wait for it to dry completely before rubbing it off with a Q-Tip (or cotton bud, for our friends across the pond). The major advantage is that it doesn't attack certain plastics, such as Bandai, and if you don't like it you can easily clean up with a damp cloth/Q-Tip and try again. I found that the color I used gave the plain white paint a nice off-white finish in addition to building up in crevices and making raised features pop a bit. I'll be adding some more subtle weathering before gluing on the last of the details and tying it all together with a couple of light coats of clear Tamiya TS-80 flat lacquer. One caveat about this last, though...don't use it over any metallic paints, because it really dulls down the shine, hence the engine bells, vertical lifters and side maneuvering thrusters will be the very last things added.

VFSFKmW.jpg
dUpO64F.jpg
lv18OAt.jpg
YSYkIjE.jpg
O4KXtue.jpg
EvtrOoH.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...