1:48 Fairey Albacore Mk.II

Dunny

Hi All,

My next project will be Special Hobby's Albacore Mk.II. I built Tamiya's mighty Swordfish last year and had another biplane itch, so what better than the Stringbag's replacement to scratch it ?! (ICM's 1:32 Gladiator almost got the gig, but I fancied an FAA build!) Here's the box art:

20220212-103032.jpg

You can see that an Operation Torch aircraft is one of the schemes included - here's all three options:

20220212-103540.jpg

20220212-103559.jpg

I'm not sure that any of those schemes really float my boat - more on that later. Here's the sprue shots:

20220212-103124.jpg

20220212-103144.jpg

20220212-103211.jpg

All usual SH fare, with their hard mid-grey plastic and what looks to be good surface detail. Here's the decals, PE and instrument panel film:

20220212-103250.jpg

All look to be nicely done. Here's the resin components for the engine, machine gun and other assorted bits & pieces:

20220212-103400.jpg

Finally to the ordnance. This kit is supplied without a torpedo, but fortunately I did not use the tin fish from my Swordfish build, so here it is in all its glory:

20220212-103517.jpg

That will do nicely! As to the scheme, I'm rather tempted to have a go at a TSS/Night combination such as this one, X8942 of 828 Sqn FAA, based at Hal Far in 1942.

mm3.jpg

There are a few nice photos of aircraft in similar schemes:

Fairey-Albacore-with-full-bomb-racks-bei

download-1.jpg

Loading-250lb-bombs-onto-a-Fairey-Albaco

All show a significant amount of wear, which I shall attempt to replicate. So, on with the build!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 17

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely choice Roger either this or the Gladiator are great choices.  Looking forward to the Applecore and in a Malta scheme too, brilliant.  Got one in the stash too and will watch with interest.

Chris

Thanks Chris! Just had to get another FAA build on the go - might chuck my Chipmunk into the mix too after seeing the lovely finish of yours,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Don't blame you fella you can't beat an FAA machine!!! The Chipmunk too, you'll love that one, it's  a wonderful kit that goes together very well,  just make sure mating surfaces are clear of paint. It will be great to see both on the go Roger.

Chris

• Thanks 1

That’s funny Roger, I was thinking of starting the Applecore last weekend but instead opted for an BPF Avenger.  I had actually identified the same photos in my research.  Strangely I too was going to do an Operation Torch Aircraft and I think I’ve found an 820 NAS Aircraft with Stars & Night undersides but it was Bomb not torpedo armed..

If you want to do a Malta Aircraft @tonyot is your man, having written several articles on the subject.

Good luck with your build and, if you don’t mind, I’ll linger at the back here and take notes..

Oh btw you probably need one of these to go with it....

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48006E?result-token=fcFfu

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great to see an Albacore in the offing. I built this kit a couple of years ago (as X8942, which was a kit option in my boxing, I think) and it’s not bad. As with most Special Hobby kits the internal parts are all a little wide and need sanding down a bit to close the fuselage more easily. What is nice is that the top wings can be securely fixed to the top of the canopy before the interplane struts need to be added. It won’t be as easy as the lovely Tamiya Swordfish, but I’m sure you will make a cracking job of it!

Cheers,

Nick.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Don't blame you fella you can't beat an FAA machine!!! The Chipmunk too, you'll love that one, it's  a wonderful kit that goes together very well,  just make sure mating surfaces are clear of paint. It will be great to see both on the go Roger.

Chris

Thanks Chris - looking forward to the Applecore and I have heard nothing but good things about the Chipmunk!

44 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

That’s funny Roger, I was thinking of starting the Applecore last weekend but instead opted for an BPF Avenger.  I had actually identified the same photos in my research.  Strangely I too was going to do an Operation Torch Aircraft and I think I’ve found an 820 NAS Aircraft with Stars & Night undersides but it was Bomb not torpedo armed..

If you want to do a Malta Aircraft @tonyot is your man, having written several articles on the subject.

Good luck with your build and, if you don’t mind, I’ll linger at the back here and take notes..

Oh btw you probably need one of these to go with it....

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48006E?result-token=fcFfu

Thanks GB - as always you are most welcome, and your advice is most appreciated!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

Great to see an Albacore in the offing. I built this kit a couple of years ago (as X8942, which was a kit option in my boxing, I think) and it’s not bad. As with most Special Hobby kits the internal parts are all a little wide and need sanding down a bit to close the fuselage more easily. What is nice is that the top wings can be securely fixed to the top of the canopy before the interplane struts need to be added. It won’t be as easy as the lovely Tamiya Swordfish, but I’m sure you will make a cracking job of it!

Cheers,

Nick.

Thanks very much Nick - did you have a WIP for this build? Would love to see how you handled the usual SH foibles,

Cheers,

Roger

Just now, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Nick - did you have a WIP for this build? Would love to see how you handled the usual SH foibles,

Cheers,

Roger

I’m sorry Roger, I didn’t record much of the build and not as a WIP on this fine site…

From looking back at a couple of photos I’ve recalled that I built, painted and decalled the fuselage complete with those chunky undercarriage legs, as one unit. Then I think I did the same with each set of wings before bringing everything together. Of slight concern is that there is a picture of the model with three big clamps holding the top and bottom wings in place - I hadn’t remembered it being the struggle that the picture suggests!
I think the inboard struts were a little short and I had to add a shim to get them to touch at both ends.

Like you I wanted to try and recreate the weathered look. I recall using a linen colour enamel paint, then scuffing away at the acrylic top coat on the leading edges. I have since read about anti icing paste being added to the leading edges so I may have got that wrong…

If you don’t object, I could post up a pic on your thread - if I can still remember how to do it…

Nick.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nickthebrief said:

I’m sorry Roger, I didn’t record much of the build and not as a WIP on this fine site…

From looking back at a couple of photos I’ve recalled that I built, painted and decalled the fuselage complete with those chunky undercarriage legs, as one unit. Then I think I did the same with each set of wings before bringing everything together. Of slight concern is that there is a picture of the model with three big clamps holding the top and bottom wings in place - I hadn’t remembered it being the struggle that the picture suggests!
I think the inboard struts were a little short and I had to add a shim to get them to touch at both ends.

Like you I wanted to try and recreate the weathered look. I recall using a linen colour enamel paint, then scuffing away at the acrylic top coat on the leading edges. I have since read about anti icing paste being added to the leading edges so I may have got that wrong…

If you don’t object, I could post up a pic on your thread - if I can still remember how to do it…

Nick.

Nick I most certainly do not object - the more the merrier. I look forward to seeing it,

Cheers,

Roger

Looking forward to this mate,...... I`ve built one but it was quite a long time ago. try to keep on top of the wings and stop them from drooping. Also,.... take care with the rigging,...... some of the wires are doubled and they have cuffs where they join the wings,.... you can see it in pics of the real aircraft,.... I think this later release might include resin parts for these cuffs,..... I used masking tape for mine!

Here is a WIP that I did for a more recent Trumpeter kit,..... which has a few pics of the real aeroplane which may help,.... plus a couple of my Special Hobby kit too;

I did an article about the SH Albacore in this magazine,....vol 6, issue 6;

Model-Aircraft-Monthly-Magazine-Vol-6-Is

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like we’re riffing off each other’s builds…. FAA build, mine is on the go - an Avenger like yours last year; I’m doing a Swordfish later this year, you did one too.

This should be fun to follow along with, sign me up! Rest assured, I’m not going to build one of these any time soon! :D  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looking forward to this mate,...... I`ve built one but it was quite a long time ago. try to keep on top of the wings and stop them from drooping. Also,.... take care with the rigging,...... some of the wires are doubled and they have cuffs where they join the wings,.... you can see it in pics of the real aircraft,.... I think this later release might include resin parts for these cuffs,..... I used masking tape for mine!

Here is a WIP that I did for a more recent Trumpeter kit,..... which has a few pics of the real aeroplane which may help,.... plus a couple of my Special Hobby kit too;

I did an article about the SH Albacore in this magazine,....vol 6, issue 6;

Model-Aircraft-Monthly-Magazine-Vol-6-Is

Cheers

Tony

Thanks very much Tony - I may have a copy of your excellent article in my hot little hand to help me along the way 😉

I have the later boxing with the resin cuffs, which should be interesting!

56 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I feel like we’re riffing off each other’s builds…. FAA build, mine is on the go - an Avenger like yours last year; I’m doing a Swordfish later this year, you did one too.

This should be fun to follow along with, sign me up! Rest assured, I’m not going to build one of these any time soon! :D  

We clearly inhabit the same universe Mark - the Lightning GB was all your inspiration, and it's great building stuff we all enjoy!

33 minutes ago, Martian said:

Tasty! This Alien will be following this.

Martian 👽

Welcome aboard, oh tentacled one! The build will be all the richer for your attendance...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

We clearly inhabit the same universe Mark - the Lightning GB was all your inspiration, and it's great building stuff we all enjoy!

Ha! I forgot about the Lightning….  :D 

• Haha 1

Hi All,

A bit of progress to report on the Applecore! Although I've been plodding along and getting stuff painted, I haven't really launched into construction proper (not sure why - mojo perhaps?). Anyways, I thought I'd get on and finish at least something! I'd partially constructed the lovely torpedo left over from my Tamiya Stringbag last week, and laid down a base coat of steel and a coat of hairspray. After a week's drying time I judged it safe to mask up and spray a layer of black, getting us to here:

20220220-095546.jpg

I then started the chipping process (a little too enthusiastically, as it turned out) :poo::

20220220-120817.jpg

I therefore carefully selectively reapplied some black until we had this:

20220220-124705.jpg

Better! Finally I sprayed the screws brass, added them in place and applied an oil wash to the lot:

20220220-135353.jpg

I'm reasonably happy with that as an end result - I may add a plywood aerofoil to the rear 'empennage', but will chew on how to best achieve that. Next I turned my attention to the prominent cockpit-mounted fuel tank. This was sprayed Red-brown to simulate the self-sealing coating:

20220220-095604.jpg

Looks like a piece of fudge! I wasn't confident that I would be able to hand paint the straps without stuffing up, so decided instead to make the straps up using Tamiya tape sprayed with interior green. Here's the result:

20220220-112723.jpg

A much cleaner result - I re-applied the upper horizontal strap - as you can see it was misaligned. That's all I've managed on the Applecore, but I have started Airfix' lovely 1:48 Chipmunk as a side build. I'm not going to bother with a WIP, but here's a sneaky shot of the lovely little engine assembly where I decided to start:

20220220-095445.jpg

Cuuuute! Anyway, that's all for now,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Spelling
  • Like 10

The Torpedo looks fantastic with the chipping done on the nose and the fuel tank looks great, I like the tape idea, I will have to remember that .

The Chippie engine looks awesome Roger, some lovely detail included and some cracking painting there too fella.  Looking forward to seeing this and the Albacore both will be fantastic builds.

I hope your Mojo is okay too

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Which scheme are you doing for the Chippie Roger?

Not sure why but my last entry did not take this to the top ???

Chris

This one's personal Chris. I'm going to complete as a 6AEF aircraft based at RAF Abingdon in the 80's. As a keen member of the CCF I accumulated 10-12 hours in 6AEF Chippies, along with other experience flights. I lost my log book many years ago so it might not be an aircraft in which I flew, but who's to know?! It's well outside the normal subject matter, but now you know why!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

This one's personal Chris. I'm going to complete as a 6AEF aircraft based at RAF Abingdon in the 80's. As a keen member of the CCF I accumulated 10-12 hours in 6AEF Chippies, along with other experience flights. I lost my log book many years ago so it might not be an aircraft in which I flew, but who's to know?! It's well outside the normal subject matter, but now you know why!

Cheers,

Roger

That's  going to be lovely , with such a personal connection, making your build all the more a pleasure for you.  I really hope you can enjoy it Roger, it's a lovely little kit. Looking forward  to some more sneaky peeks during your progress.

Chris

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I'll be tagging along with this one, if you don't mind Roger.

All looking brilliant so far.

And a Chippie too, What's not to like.

Cheers,

Alistair

Welcome aboard Alistair - thanks for the kind words!

• Like 1