Trumpeter 1/350, Type 45, HMS Dauntless.

Wafu

Hi all,

Here's my rendition of Trumpter's Type 45 destroyer in 1/350.

After my Type 23 build I was keen to see how this subject evolved, given that the modelling manufactures have offered this in two flavours, Airfix or Trumpeter, I weighed up the reviews on line and being naturally swayed away from Airfix, it was made easier by the presentation of the kit in plastic form. I chose the Trumpeter offering for the following reasons, the first was the clean deck parts (easier in my mind to paint) secondly the old quality of the parts in the Type 23 and the quality of the Merlin helicopter, third and a great thing to me was the quality of the plastic (Airfix plastic is like nothing else and not in a good way)

With the kit sorted a few additions from Atlantic models with the etch set for the Airfix Type 45 and decals for the deck markings and again after my Type 23 build Sovereign Hobbies paints were a must for me. the etch set turned out to be used sparingly for two reasons, the kit comes with three excellent frets that cover most things and the set is for the Airfix kit and so doesn't exactly fit, it did prove invaluable though where the kit was a tad short.

Many thanks to Fishbed for the decals to allow me to make HMS Dauntless, it’s very much appreciated. When I was in the Andrew HMS Dauntless was the WREN’s basic training stone frigate, times change.

The base is a Trumpeter case with a balsa frame, foam insert covered with Polyfilla. Acrylic paints and gloss varnish for the deep blue and Delux materials 'making waves' complimented with clear silicon sealant, a useful tip from Studio Blue Ocean, excellent viewing for me as a beginner. the dolphins are 3d printed for that extra realistic touch. Tamiya 2d figures in 1/350 are also used, not brilliant but adds to the human element  

Anyway, less waffle and more pictures..

IMG_2951

IMG_2950

IMG_2952

IMG_2952

IMG_2955

IMG_2954

IMG_2953

IMG_2949

Thanks for looking.

• Like 31

• Wafu changed the title to Trumpeter 1/350, Type 45, HMS Dauntless.
1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Lovely build of a ship design I like very much, unfortunately it is in the wrong diorama, it should be dockside under repair....😉

Gidday, perhaps this model is a "What if .   .   ." 😀 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Great little diorama, as others have said the dolphins are a nice touch. The build itself is really well done and nice and clean. Just a shame I think the ship itself is, er, not perhaps the best looking specimen. Personal preference ofc, but I'd love to see her next to the Type 23.

David

And as if by magic,

IMG_4149

and in their cases.

IMG_4148

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wafu said:

IMG_4149

An excellent pair of models, hopefully you'll allow me to ask a question which crossed my mind after seeing the two ships next to each other:

Do the different wake patterns along the ships hulls simply denote that the two vessels are depicted travelling at different speeds or would the hull design affect the pattern of the wake the ship generates ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Do the different wake patterns along the ships hulls simply denote that the two vessels are depicted travelling at different speeds or would the hull design affect the pattern of the wake the ship generates ?

Happy to answer any questions. I can only give you what I was aiming for for each model and my experience of being at sea in all sizes of craft.

The Type 23, I aimed for a Summer Mid Atlantic look, with a rolling swell. I’ve gone for three bow waves coming away from the hull and the stern wake of a ship cruising. If I was honest, I would of maybe stuck to one bow wave and left it at that but I had committed with the Polyfilla so was stuck with what I had. 
I would say that the hull of the Type 23 reminds me of the Flower class in WWII, very bowl type hull as Appleseed to the usual Type 21/22 hulls.

Type 45, this was different and on the back of my Type 23 I decided for a flat calm see and a ship at speed, this was why the bow wave are close to the hull and the stern is more agitated. The sea colour was more darker sky, South Western Approaches.  I’ve used Dulux Making Waves and Gloss varnish to lift the flatness of the sea to show a slight ripple of a gentle breeze. 

I would really recommend The YouTube channel of Blue Studio Modelling, I learnt a lot even if I didn’t use exactly the same materials.

• Thanks 2