IBG Models catalogue 2022 - programme

Homebee

Given their location on the catalog pages, I'd guess that the four 1/72 secret items are variants/different boxings of the Fw.190D-9 and/or Ta.152. I'd like them to be the first four releases in a series of VK-105-powered Yak-9's, but that's just crazy talk. :drunk: That leaves one secret item in 1/32 - a special-markings version of the existing PZL P.11c, perhaps?

• Like 1

Just now, Piotr Mikolajski said:

This is a theme for Azur / Special Hobby.

Is there  a Yalta-style deal like that ;) ?

I agree, that it is likely that Azur works on this as a "the greatest missing" of French airplanes in injection range of kits in 1/72, with a lot of variant from record flights and having many users,  therefore important in many aspects for word history of aviation, not only to the French one.  However the Breg XIX was also for a couple of years the most basic Polish army tactical bomber/recce machine replaced just before WW2 by Karaś. And of Polish spectacular use just to recall Orliński flight to Tokyo (imagine the aftermarket piece of a  bare structure of lower wing tip as happened to real machine in this flight) .  So also on Polish market there  will be a lot of customers for it. I also agree, that design of such model with that much demanding surface structure as Breg had is much more difficult then slim lines next low wing monoplane, lets say the "G-666" :)

Regards

J-W

17 minutes ago, JWM said:

Is there  a Yalta-style deal like that ;) ?

The Breguet XIX is a short-run / mid-run theme, an unprofitable thing for steel moulds. A model manufacturer is not a charity, the project not only has to pay for itself, but also has to earn money for future projects. It really is that simple.

17 minutes ago, JWM said:

However the Breg XIX was also for a couple of years the most basic Polish army tactical bomber/recce machine (...)

And of Polish spectacular use just to recall Orliński flight to Tokyo (...)

So also on Polish market (...)

design of such model with that much demanding surface structure (...)

What kind of construction the plane had and whether it was used in Poland is irrelevant to the decision to design and release the kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

What kind of construction the plane had and whether it was used in Poland is irrelevant to the decision to design and release the kit.

OK, so nothing like "politics" (ideology, vision, mission,...) exist - only fast cash counts.  That is good perhaps to avoid problems in a company. I am afraid that perhaps model making is not the best way to do fast profit anyway.  So far IBG had a bit different image starting with RWD-8 and PZL-42 - not the most popular subjects on world or Polish markets. Then they consequently were enforcing  this image of a brand with long PZL WW2 machines in multiple variants and scales  released. Suddenly the turn to only profit oriented politics appears...  But the image is also a value on market and with a proper politics (ideology, vision, mission...) you can create the market, what seemed to be an idea behind acting so far of both Polish new brands: IBG and Arma.  Is it appeared a fiasco now, and this explains the current turn? 

Regards

J-W

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

OK, so nothing like "politics" (ideology, vision, mission,...) exist - only fast cash counts.

There are a whole range of activities that allow you to earn quick cash. Model making is not one of them.

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

So far IBG had a bit different image starting with RWD-8 and PZL-42 - not the most popular subjects on world or Polish markets.

Most modellers commenting on these models have never bothered to ask at modelling events what principle they were designed on. Instead, nonsense theories are written up to this day.

The RWD-8 was the first aircraft from IBG Models and was intended to be a simple and inexpensive kit. The objectives have been met.

PZL.42 was released only because the Karaś was being made, it would not have been released as a separate project. It was released because an insider asked if it would be possible, and the company replied that if there was space on the mould, PZL.42 would be made. There was space on the mould, the modular design allowed the PZL.42 to be built with just a few parts changed, that's the "secret" why it was released.

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

Then they consequently were enforcing  this image of a brand

Sorry, but these are modelers' delusions, not facts. Nobody ever promised that only models of Polish aircraft would be released. This is something that modellers have made up for themselves and believed in the thing they have invented. Meanwhile, one only had to look at the vehicle catalogue to see that there was basically German and Allied equipment only with one exception.

A selection of three subjects, Karaś, Łoś and PZL fighters, was dictated solely by economics. The existing kits were already old and had many errors, in addition, they did not exhaust the subject. The analysis showed that an investment in a thoroughly developed modern project would provide a return and a profit. That was all.

Two years ago, one of the people working in the modelling industry wrote an elaborate comment on cost-effectiveness of Poland-related designs. Nothing has changed since then, this comment is still valid. Well, even more so now that prices have gone up. Is there any effect from publishing this comment two years ago? None. Readers don't want to accept the facts because they prefer to live in delusions. Since those two years, they regularly ask about models that nobody will make from steel moulds because they are unprofitable.

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

Suddenly the turn to only profit oriented politics appears...

Suddenly? Sorry, but what makes you think that a commercial company would produce something that doesn't make a profit? What makes you expect any company to be charitable at all? Companies release what will bring them a return on investment and allow them to earn money not only for running costs but also for future projects. Over the last decade or so I have spoken to the owners of dozens of businesses, small and large. Nobody works for free, everyone wants their business to be profitable. Why would anyone do otherwise?

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

But the image is also a value on market

Forgive me, but that is what delusions are. A brand in the model market is built internationally, not locally. A brand is built by producing kits such as the Fw 190D family, in which the whole world is interested, and not by producing niche models of aircraft which nobody in the world has heard of or, if they have, they are not interested in anyway.

How did Eduard build his brand? By producing kits of Czechoslovakian aircraft that no one had heard of? Or did they start with the Ki-115 Tsurugi in 1989 and not release a single Czech aircraft model for another decade either? Their first Czechoslovak aircraft model was the L-39, released in 2002. If I count correctly, out of 105 new tool aircraft already released only 5 are Czechoslovak aircraft.

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

and with a proper politics (ideology, vision, mission...) you can create the market

And these are, once again, delusions. You cannot create a global market from a niche. The Czech model industry is very dynamic, and yet neither Eduard, nor Special Hobby, nor RS Models, Sword and a few others have managed to create a worldwide market for Czech aviation constructions. Which are much better known than Polish ones and which were used by more countries.

Anyway, not even all Luftwaffe aircrafts were produced as injection models, although it is known that Luftwaffe sells very well. But even the swastika does not guarantee a return on investment if it were to be a model of a little known aircraft.

3 minutes ago, JWM said:

both Polish new brands

IBG Models was established in 2006, sixteen years ago.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Not my cup of tea in fact... I will buy two or three Breg XIX if they appear whatever company will release it to add two two Hit-Kit one standing on shelves... I wish all the best to IBG as to whole branch. I am the client, not the owner so my perspective is different... I ern my money differently, here I only 😆spent then!

Regards

J-W

After the Dora, a good item could be a new Spitfire Mk V family. With Eduard that after promising this family some years ago now seems busy with other 1/72 projects and more interested in developing 1/48 scale projects, it would be a winner. A lot of camouflage and markings possibility, several with polish markings and famous polish pilots and aces ... and the possibility to develope also the Mk I family and some recon ... yes on this bet I make my money on a new Spitfire from IBG ! 

5 hours ago, JWM said:

Not my cup of tea in fact...

I'm just not writing anything new, I wrote the same thing a year ago in a thread about the 2021 catalogue.

There was an explanation why there are so many boxes with the "same" models. I explained how the modeller's point of view differs from the manufacturer's point of view. I also wrote why the Polish market does not dictate topics and why the demands of the Polish market are unrealistic when it comes to producing kits from steel moulds. I am not even mentioning the absurdity of demanding models of aircraft for which there is absolutely no documentation and only a few photographs.

Moreover, you participated in this thread and found my lack of answer about Breguet XIX interesting, meanwhile the answer was given in earlier comments and is the same answer I gave in this thread, a year later.

Polish niche subjects are waiting for a Polish equivalent of Special Hobby, RS Models or Sword, only that we don't have any such company in Poland. Answer Model Kits, which has announced quite a few things, has not yet released anything from the 1/72 announcements, and given the incoming rumours about some kind of conflict with the mould maker, it doesn't look like those models are going to appear for now.

This means that there is a place on the Polish market for a manufacturer of high quality injection short-runs with Polish inter-war themes, and certainly IBG Models will not take away from him themes such as Bartels, Jastrząb, Junak, Kania, Lampart, Miś, Ogar, Ryś, Sum, Wicher, Wilk, Wyżeł and dozens of others.

3 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I'm just not writing anything new, I wrote the same thing a year ago in a thread about the 2021 catalogue.

There was an explanation why there are so many boxes with the "same" models. I explained how the modeller's point of view differs from the manufacturer's point of view. I also wrote why the Polish market does not dictate topics and why the demands of the Polish market are unrealistic when it comes to producing kits from steel moulds. I am not even mentioning the absurdity of demanding models of aircraft for which there is absolutely no documentation and only a few photographs.

Moreover, you participated in this thread and found my lack of answer about Breguet XIX interesting, meanwhile the answer was given in earlier comments and is the same answer I gave in this thread, a year later.

Polish niche subjects are waiting for a Polish equivalent of Special Hobby, RS Models or Sword, only that we don't have any such company in Poland. Answer Model Kits, which has announced quite a few things, has not yet released anything from the 1/72 announcements, and given the incoming rumours about some kind of conflict with the mould maker, it doesn't look like those models are going to appear for now.

This means that there is a place on the Polish market for a manufacturer of high quality injection short-runs with Polish inter-war themes, and certainly IBG Models will not take away from him themes such as Bartels, Jastrząb, Junak, Kania, Lampart, Miś, Ogar, Ryś, Sum, Wicher, Wilk, Wyżeł and dozens of others.

Thanks for your work. I bought the Karas about 18 months ago and was so impressed I got the Los too. These are excellent models that maybe wouldn't have been made, (or wouldn't have had such good quality) if you hadn't done them. 

Unusual models open our eyes to events and circumstances from the past that would have otherwise remained hidden to us.

People will always ask for other aircraft, don't worry about it. Keep on with your great work.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Piotr

I wholeheartedly agree that the basic Polish aircraft range was very welcome - it was a few years since the 1960s/70's which saw the (excellent for their time) ZTS and Heller kits. My only beef (with all the above!) is lack of crew figures - and if anyone can suggest a source of 1/72 crew in Polish flying helmets (otherwise I make do with Japanese) I would be most grateful. 

However I would suggest that while your argument is true, it is only true in one paradigm - ie a reactive one, where an existing market is tapped. And this is a very sensible strategy which guarantees a reasonable return provided the market remains and provided it does not reach saturation point. The ones that really make it big are the ones who operate in a different praradigm - they create their own market albeit this is often a high-risk strategy and relies on having an innovative idea in the first place and a great deal of luck. We have certainly seen this in the modelling world - with Games Workshop being a prime example, albeit FtF seem to have done something similar, on a much more modest scale of course. It would be wonderful if someone could do for the Polish Air Force what FtF is doing for the Polish Army. 

Edited by KS Gebhard

8 hours ago, KS Gebhard said:

I wholeheartedly agree that the basic Polish aircraft range was very welcome - it was a few years since the 1960s/70's which saw the (excellent for their time) ZTS and Heller kits.

It was the late 1970s (Heller) and 1980s (ZTS Plastyk).

The ones that really make it big are the ones who operate in a different praradigm - they create their own market

Literally a few comments above I wrote that this "market creation" is delusional and I showed it with the example of Czech model companies.

We have certainly seen this in the modelling world - with Games Workshop being a prime example, albeit FtF seem to have done something similar, on a much more modest scale of course. It would be wonderful if someone could do for the Polish Air Force what FtF is doing for the Polish Army. 

Games Workshop is not a modelling company, it is a company that produces accessories for the battle games it has created. In exactly the same way First To Fight produces simplified models for its own battle game. Yes, in 1/72 scale, but nevertheless the entire production relates to this game, which is directly shown on the manufacturer's website.

Wst%C4%99p-i-Organizacja-Zgrupowania-15.

It would be wonderful if someone could do for the Polish Air Force what FtF is doing for the Polish Army. 

I do not want to write out once again why this is not viable and, above all, why it is unrealistic. I wrote about it both in this thread and in a thread from a year ago. Nothing has changed except that the cost of production has gone up, so the profitability is even lower.

It was the late 1970s (Heller) and 1980s (ZTS Plastyk).

Quite right, 60s is stretching it (memory not what it used to be and it wasn't that great to begin with) :). However some ZTS kits, including some interwar jobs, certainly do go back to the 70s.  

I do not want to write out once again why this is not viable and, above all, why it is unrealistic. 

By all means, there is no need. I am sure we have all heard it before. In much the same vein, the nay-sayers said the same thing about Polish tanks, Polish guns and Polish everything for years. FtF proved them wrong and from being the least well-represented ground campaign in WW2 in plastic model kit form, it is now, arguably, the most and still growing.  

Games Workshop is not a modelling company, it is a company that produces accessories for the battle games it has created. In exactly the same way First To Fight produces simplified models for its own battle game. Yes, in 1/72 scale, but nevertheless the entire production relates to this game, which is directly shown on the manufacturer's website.

GW would disagree. From the horses mouth: "We make the best fantasy miniatures in the world, to engage and inspire our customers, and to sell our products globally at a profit". In short it is a company whose core business is making and selling models. It is the games and all the other stuff that are the accessories not the other way around. The games are there to sell models not the models to sell games. If the latter was the case, the company would have gone bust within a year. Someone will corect me if I am wrong I am sure, but the makers of the FtF models and the authors of the Wrzesien 1939 wargames rules are not the same, albeit when they wisely support each other, and co-operate they are symbiotic. In any event, as I recall, by the time the rules became available, the models had been coming out for some time.....and doing well.

Be that as it may, I am not at all sure what any of that has to do with the proverbial price of beef in any case. I don't care if they make the models to decorate christmas trees with! All that matters to me is that they make them, that they make them to an acceptable standard and at an acceptable price - and that goes for GW just as much as it does for FtF, of course.    

Literally a few comments above I wrote that this "market creation" is delusional and I showed it with the example of Czech model companies.

And I am afraid, that regardless where you wrote it, you are wrong. Market creation is not delusional, it is an obvious fact of life which can be seen wherever you go. It is delusional to think otherwise. There is a reason why billions are spent on advertising! And there is a reason why GW, a model manufacturer, is allegedly, more profitable than Google. It's not because humanity woke up one morning in 1986, or whenever exactly it was, became aware suddenly that the World needs models of space marines, set about looking for someone to make them and Citadel were fortuitously there to step into the breach......  

Edited by KS Gebhard
  • Like 2