What make and model is this ambulance?

bootneck

The two vehicles in this view used to be driven by my daughter when she was in St John's.  I know the details of the Land Rover but can anyone please help with the make and model of the ambulance on the right?  Once I can identify the type then, hopefully, I can find a 1:32 model kit of it to build for her.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

6 minutes ago, bootneck said:

The two vehicles in this view used to be driven by my daughter when she was in St John's.  I know the details of the Land Rover but can anyone please help with the make and model of the ambulance on the right?  Once I can identify the type then, hopefully, I can find a 1:32 model kit of it to build for her.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

I'm not sure...but it looks like a Ford Transit from the early 1990s

Marco F 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

I'm not sure...but it looks like a Ford Transit from the early 1990s

Marco F 

Another vote for Ford Transit, it might even be a late 1980s example, I can't remember exactly when the Mk.III shape was introduced (1986, apparently, according to Parkers) and the basic shape ran until 2000 but with a facelift in the mid '90s to look more like the example Trevor posted.  I'm not sure if anyone makes a model in 1:32, most models I can see are Oxford Diecast 1:76 types.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the information.  That's a shame if there isn't a plastic kit of this vehicle, daughter wanted a largish scale model.  I shall just continue with doing the Land Rover Defender for her.

cheers,
Mike

Not to happy converting die casts myself so I know what you mean. I'm about to start cutting in a die cast tram but I just push it further in the future.

ambulance.jpg

I think that if I was going to build this ambulance I would try to find two cheap second hand cars and cut them like this. It would get more surface for glue and just two pieces instead of adding a third part in the middle. Less joints to try to hide. I guess that building the raised roof on it would add to the strength of the joints.

Edited by Orso
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Britains also did a Mk 3 Transit in 1/32 scale, which I think the photo above is (owned a couple myself). There were two different grilles for that mark though and I think the photo is the earlier grille. The Britains model is quite nice and came in a variety of guises. Without Googling, I'm not sure if the Britains model was a Mk 3, 4 or 5, but it would still make a useful starting point.

Steve

The britains is a newer version, that was a ground up new model, and was the first front wheel drive option on the transit 👍

what you call a Mk2 is a facelift Mk1, the one Mike wants is a version 2,  pre-facelift, the ‘smiley face’ is a mark 2 facelift.

Britain's did the version 3, (mark 6) year 200 model 

Bootneck,

While looking for something totally different (Mini Moke kits) I Googled upon this website https://motobitz.uk/kits--trans-kits1.html

They offer conversions for the earlier 1/24th model Ford Transit kit mentioned above and all also a couple of 1/24th Land Rover conversions (front grill and wheels).  Warning not cheap.  

You wanted large.  Here in NZ they are offering 1/18th scale diecast Transits made by IXO.  See https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/toys-models/die-casts/other/listing/3508618137?bof=6HFUXbKK   Unfortunately it is several Ford versions before the one in your photo (a Mk 5?).  It does not appear they make any later versions?

This one claimed to be 1/36th is the closest I can find https://www.ebay.com/itm/114161444573 but being from Belarus shipping/payment at the moment ???? Just a word of warning when diecasts are listed as 1/36th they can be anything from 1/43 to 1/29th not that I think scale is actually too much of an issue for you as you want it as a standalone vehicle. 

Edited by dcrfan