Aoshima 1968 MGB roadster in 1/24 scale

Einar

My latest build is the iconic British sports car, the 1968 model of the MGB roadster. The Aoshima kit in 1/24 was really very enjoyable to assemble. The fit of the highly detailed parts was excellent and the instructions clear and self-explanatory.

The Aoshima kit is a curbside one with the only lower parts of the engine visible in the chassis. It has two options, either an MGB with an open roof or a closed one . There are good quality decals and photoetched parts for the dashboard meters, MG badges and register plates. The spoked wire wheels of the kit look very smart.

I decided to paint the bodywork with Tamiya TS-8 Italian red. The inner parts were painted with Revell’s semi-black enamel 302 except for the floor which I painted matt black with Revell number 6. To paint and patch up the chrome parts I used a Molotow 1mm liquid chrome pen. The chrome lines on the sides of the body I made from Bare-metal foil.

After painting the body red I made a big mistake. I sprayed too much and too early the Tamiya TS-13 gloss varnish on the body. The varnish ate itself all the way to the plastic in the seams in the bonnet and the trunk door and diluted the red colour from those grooves. I tried to highlight the seams with black acrylic wash but the end result doesn’t look good 😞 The doors hovever were saved from the catastrophe and the wash worked allright there. I decided to leave the bodywork unpolished.

There was one part that I had change i.e. the thin back mirror rod that stretches from the dashboard to the upper frame of the windscreen. The kit’s part was way too thick and chromed so it looked really striking. I made a new and thinner rod from stretched sprue which I then painted with dark aluminium. I don’t know if the rod is still too thick but anyway it looks much better.

Apart from the seam-gate I’m pretty satisfied with the outcome. And I must say that this was a good lesson to learn for my next builds, Patience, patience and patience!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

Good work on that, it may be a simple little kit but you've shown it can look very nice when built up. Hopefully mine will reach the same standard.

As for your paint issues, I can't see them so your fix has obviously worked. And from the finish I wouldn't have guessed that you haven't polished it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spiny said:

Good work on that, it may be a simple little kit but you've shown it can look very nice when built up. Hopefully mine will reach the same standard.

As for your paint issues, I can't see them so your fix has obviously worked. And from the finish I wouldn't have guessed that you haven't polished it.

Thanks Siny for your comments and reassuring words!

Einar

36 minutes ago, JohnE said:

Nice work, a lovely MGB. And TS-13 is indeed dangerous stuff, it destroyed the Humbrol two-tone enamel paint of my Revell Samba Bus, so I was back to square one.

Thanks John!

yes, we have to be careful out there with TS-13!

Einar 

Superb! Thank you for producing such a beautiful model of our great British sports car.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PatW said:

Superb! Thank you for producing such a beautiful model of our great British sports car.

Thank you Pat!

Cheers 

Einar 

9 hours ago, Natter said:

I think you are being quite hard on yourself, that is a gorgeous MGB.

Thank you Natter,

Einar