Tamiya 1/6 Suzuki Katana

Thirsty

OK so I've decided to do the Katana next. Going to try and make this better than the CB1100R. I've decided with my modelling generally I'm not going to try for 100% accuracy, just as close to 100% realistic as I can. many of these bikes will have been changed over the years and I'm not building brand new/restored bikes anyway so I think that's OK. Obligatory box art and shot of parts in box following.

51873063843_e61d24b21c_b.jpg

51873626405_34927a56bf_b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

I have had my eyes on this kit for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I look forward to following your build.

It's cheap as chips for what you get. I paid $130ish aussie dollars - about 70ish pounds I think. It's a bargain as nobody seems to want this kit. The CB1100R goes for hundreds of dollars same as the CX. Don't know why.

2 minutes ago, Thirsty said:

It's cheap as chips for what you get. I paid $130ish aussie dollars - about 70ish pounds I think. It's a bargain as nobody seems to want this kit. The CB1100R goes for hundreds of dollars same as the CX. Don't know why.

Yeah it is not my favourite bike but I want to build a 1:6 Tamiya bike and as you say it is considerably cheaper than the others I have found. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alan R said:

I had this kit way back when. From what I remember, it builds into a smashing replica even out of the box.

Cheers,

Alan.

Yes the quality of the kit is just as good as the cb1100.

• Like 1

Experiments in bolt making! Because it costs so much to buy miniature bolts I'm trying to make my own. Here are a couple of sizes I'm trying out:

51875163135_5b1405cb75_b.jpg

1.6mm bullet head nails.

51874596253_cef4acff78_b.jpg

1.2mm bullet head nails

Will be using these on the Katana so we'll see how we go.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

More exercises in bolt making. Not happy with the above idea so have been experimenting with making bolts on my lathe/milling machine. Here is the result so far:

51892559949_8e45b61f32_b.jpg

Shaft is just over 1mm. Pretty happy with the result and it's repeatable. Takes about 5 mins to make one.

I've started sanding seam lines on the frame so won't be long before some progress.

• Like 3

Spent some time today making bolts. Got 9 made in half an hour - getting quicker! Using steel now as well as aluminium as I can get the shaft size down to .8mm with steel.

51897039529_f45fa033db_b.jpg

Here's what I'm using to make them if anyone is interested.

51896793358_84001a2b2a_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So a slow start to this one but I've been busy in my other main hobby - been helping my friend with his ultralight aircraft. It's now flying so back to model building!

I've got the frame glued together now just fixing seams etc before painting. 

51919038354_8d46ae9c3c_b.jpg

51918709076_a120f3ee9b_b.jpg

I'll install the main stand after painting.

51917742802_2590aee171_b.jpg

Sanding and filling :(

51918710531_2eeb402032_b.jpg

In my quest to make this model better than the last I need to do things like making individual plugs for the battery fluid access.

51919331525_ef9e8d4de3_b.jpg

Battery leads made up and ready to go.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm building a shed for my wife and her hobbies so not much time for mine :(

I have managed to paint the frame and some other bits but I only took a photo of the frame.

51928306112_b2bafe0310_b.jpg

Will get more done today as it's a holiday here today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone following this I've had to delay a bit due to ordering some lathe tools to allow me to make my bolts. They won't be here until late April so in the meantime I'll make a start soon on other areas like bodywork.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I've had to suspend working on this model due to life getting in the way! I've moved house and don't have the milling machine or lathe anymore. I will get back to it but probably not for  while.

• Like 1