HobbyBoss 1/48 F-105D Thunderchief

2 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Wow that is a stunner! Incredible paintwork and weathering really brings the model to life. What a machine The Thud was....and your model really does the aircraft justice. A great bit of modelling ...thanks for sharing 👍👍

Thank you!

Absolutely superb Thud, George.  I am a big fan of all things from SEA and that is magnificent.  I would think that my wife would not be too happy either....!!! (I have decals in 72 scale for the same bird).  I would love to see you do a 1/48 F-4 to the same standard.

Phil

39 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

Absolutely superb Thud, George.  I am a big fan of all things from SEA and that is magnificent.  I would think that my wife would not be too happy either....!!! (I have decals in 72 scale for the same bird).  I would love to see you do a 1/48 F-4 to the same standard.

Phil

Thank you! An SEA Phantom is in my wish list. I've done one in US Navy standard, but grey is really boring.

Very nice Thud!

Often seen scheme, but understandably so.  ..

The HB kit seems to be one of their better ones, save the MadRiveter :D

:thumbsup:

Very nice Thud!

Very nice Thud!

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice Thud!

Very nice Thud!

Very nice Thud!

Thank you!

That's one heck of a Thud you've got there. You've successfully tackled the foibles of the kit to produce a superb model. Really like the mottling/fading you've achieved with the paint, especially the greens. The panel and rivet detail is striking. Weathering is nicely restrained. As for the sheila on the nose... Strewth! She's a bit racy, isn't she? No wonder the Missus' nose is out of joint.

You've inspired me to think about making one of these (eventually) for my oldest mate, who had a profound childhood experience when he was sat in the cockpit of an F-105 that visited New Zealand in the 60s, watched it perform at the airshow, then got to know the Colonel who stayed with the family trout fishing in the local river (Dad was a renowned guide who once took Queen Elizabeth II [edit 15/02/22] the Queen Mother fishing).

I've just gotta award you only the second Gold Kookaburra Stamp for one of the better models I've seen on the web and for floating my boat.

golden-Kookaburra.jpg

21 minutes ago, Maginot said:

That's one heck of a Thud you've got there. You've successfully tackled the foibles of the kit to produce a superb model. Really like the mottling/fading you've achieved with the paint, especially the greens. The panel and rivet detail is striking. Weathering is nicely restrained. As for the sheila on the nose... Strewth! She's a bit racy, isn't she. No wonder the Missus' nose is out of joint.

You've inspired me to think about making one of these (eventually) for my oldest mate, who had a profound childhood experience when he was sat in the cockpit of one of these that visited New Zealand in the 60s, watched it perform at the airshow, then got to know the Colonel who stayed with the family trout fishing in the local river (Dad was a renowned guide who once took the Queen fishing).

I've just gotta award you only the second Gold Kookaburra Stamp for one of the better models I've seen on the web and for floating my boat.

golden-Kookaburra.jpg

Well Sir, thank you very much! I'll save that stamp right here.

• Like 1

Superb Thud as had been said. There is nothing to add. Just simply brilliant.

I have the same kit in the stash but I recalled that there is no option for the centerline pylon with bomb rack. The HB kit only provided the centerline drop tank. May I know where is the centerline pylon is from? I would want to model mine with a centerline bomb rack with 750lb GP bombs and Sidewinder/ECM pod on the outer wing pylons.

Once again, a brilliant build. I will be more than happy if mine come out half as nice as yours.

13 hours ago, Sarawakia said:

Superb Thud as had been said. There is nothing to add. Just simply brilliant.

I have the same kit in the stash but I recalled that there is no option for the centerline pylon with bomb rack. The HB kit only provided the centerline drop tank. May I know where is the centerline pylon is from? I would want to model mine with a centerline bomb rack with 750lb GP bombs and Sidewinder/ECM pod on the outer wing pylons.

Once again, a brilliant build. I will be more than happy if mine come out half as nice as yours.

Thank you! You're right, the kit has no option for a center line rack, which was the most common configuration.

So, I took one of the wing bomb racks (for 4 bombs only) and added two more fins, cut from the other wing rack, and glued them in the former, so now I have a single 6 bombs rack. Took one of their pylons, cut it along the longitudinal axle, to make it narrower, and glued with superglue along the centerline. The original centerline rack would be slightly different, but it is mostly hidden by the bombs.

Edited by George72

13 hours ago, George72 said:

Thank you! You're right, the kit has no option for a center line rack, which was the most common configuration.

So, I took one of the wing bomb racks (for 4 bombs only) and added two more fins, cut from the other wing rack, and glued them in the former, so now I have a single 6 bombs rack. Took one of their pylons, cut it along the longitudinal axle, to make it narrower, and glued with superglue along the centerline. The original centerline rack would be slightly different, but it is mostly hidden by the bombs.

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.