Revell (née Eduard) 1/48 MiG-21 SMT - another one!

Icarus

Hi all.

I would like to contribute this lovely kit to the MiG-21 fun.  Aiming for OOB given the quality of the plastic.  I saw a discussion elsewhere about camo vs aluminium version, and to be honest I still haven't decided which to go for...

h0AxogxPJx0SE2FTAFvv014aFcTht0ztW2TJGr3N

A camo MiG-21 would be visually interesting (sorry about the flash flare) but the "Cold War" look of the Aluminium scheme is tempting, especially as this will allow me to have some fun with weathering.

1MrhEngjZEVWiQikB3sFbpQhJyxRozqam9WfURra

PtthWX7OeU3x1G3PZyE-JJw9BjsPhuHocoY11fiy

I can ponder for a bit whilst I do the innards, and build up the major components.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 10

Nice choice Icarus

Is there any photo etch in the Revell boxing! I ask as there’s one on the shelf at my LMS😉

Id go for the silver finish if it was my choice although as Craig says above it will great either way. 

James

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. 

No etch with this boxing James, although looking at the plastic this should be fine.  I have some spare Soviet era etch seatbelts lurking in The Vault somewhere if the decals don't look convincing, but to be honest whacking great lumps of metal aren't always the best representation of webbing and straps!

Icarus

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning.  Very initial stages in this, but looking promising.  There was a bit of a squeeze getting the fuselage halves together, but I think this was my fault - a bit of misalignment earlier on, and typical strict Eduard tolerances.

f_vieUwecD31VBPNf-0-F0vMQXNbVPogdw3c64Od

BTW I have decided to go with the camouflages option - looks like a nice challenge with the airbrush.  Just need to find appropriate colours for this, as the Revell instruction call outs are not wholly convincing ("ochre" and "rust matt" anyone?)

Kind regards,

Icarus 

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning.  Having finished the Revell 1/48 F/A-18F, I now have a bit of time to progress this build.  As you can see, I have just masked the canopies using the rather excellent Canopy Survival Kit from Maketar Paint masks - very impressive, and I will be using this set up again.  

80HfLkbEzDFP8bKWevG3JqCPXqlKh88FU35DZ2Po

Still going with the camouflaged option on this SMT, so will start that after painting the inner layer of the canopies that "lovely" Russian cockpit turquoise.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 7

So, I have been having a bit of fun with the airbrush this morning...

eJAVZxt47xl6vJkTAODzUDCDgrEDpauoPy72L1kA

1wh2xt24uM75gmKaUsgGWVJjR0Pgrdd-Tm-mykhz

I have tried to mirror the reference photos on this, but to be honest they vary as well!

Need to add the steel exhaust surround, and green details on the main fin and ventral "finlet", before varnishing, then the extremely extensive decal sheet (including many stencils!)

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 12

Thank you James.  The "Yellow Ochre" and "German Red/Brown" are Vallejo acrylics (70.913 and 71.271 respectively).   The Olive Green is Humbrol enamel #86, whilst the Black green is Tamiya XF-27.  The Vallejo and Tamiya paints are diluted for 50% with water, the enamel diluted 50% with standard thinners.  These paints are the closest matches I could find to the reference photos.  With weathering the colour contrasts will be toned down.

I spray at 15 PSI with a 0.5mm needle - I was going to use a smaller needle, but in the end didn't need to.

Icarus

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So, just in time this was finished this evening..

CUmmhKehYru3Ug6Sgj16a5U-yPfsn1JgSFJ-Ex2x

kqUzFjw8qU9C6RfchDcLIkH8l7F_rbu2ExRDc6sm

_41j5MTQ3TI65gRKbN9RE6GB8dNuHZwYk6leD9L7

XvnWAlImju-MN_3yECQOQCtmvOGnnrBPTotSbudr

Phew!

The kit-supplied ejector seat is a real disappointment.  I suspect I will replace this in time with a resin version.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 4