Butterball Cenobite Hellraiser bust

Glen10k

Another 1/4 scale bust from the Hellraiser films, bust produced by Keith Cousins and sculpted by Steve Peacock.

The Cenobite Butterball was a follower of Pinhead. In his human form he led a hedonistic lifestyle and took great pleasure in sin however after finding and solving the lament box he was transformed into the Cenobite character we see here.

Painted in a mix of acrylics and oils.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

1/4 scale? That's huge! That must make for a whole lot of difficulties but you seem to have handled it well. Excellent result, well done.

Thank you, they are large, about 10-12 inches in height. I've completed 4 of these now and starting to develop a different style of painting mainly using an airbrush. This figure for instance was preshaded before some basic flesh tones were airbrushed in thin layers, then veining added, more thin flesh layers allowing the veins to show through, washes and filters added then more airbrush layers which helps blend it all together. There's  about 12 to 15 airbrush layers on this, they are all very thin allowing more control over how much colour goes on. It's a very fluid process of going back and forward with washes and airbrush to achieve the look I want. Finishing touches are brush painted.

I also tend to use oil washes/filters and have not had any problems airbrushing acrylics over them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Glen10k said:

mainly using an airbrush

That didn't surprise me given the area to cover. The process you describe will be useful to me for a large-ish figure I have waiting for me. Were you airbrushing paint or inks? And did you use some king of glaze medium?

29 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That didn't surprise me given the area to cover. The process you describe will be useful to me for a large-ish figure I have waiting for me. Were you airbrushing paint or inks? And did you use some king of glaze medium?

I airbrush scale75 acrylics. They are heavily thinned for spraying so they go on in semi-transparent layers which gives more control in building up the colour. 

All the washes and filters are mixed by myself using artist oils and white spirit.

I struggle with acrylic washes/glazes especially in this scale, oils gives me the flexibility and time to blend and feather the colours.

I've actually just bought some inks but not used them on a model yet, they spray beautifully but some of the colours were very powerful so need to experiment with them

1 hour ago, Glen10k said:

I airbrush scale75 acrylics. They are heavily thinned for spraying so they go on in semi-transparent layers which gives more control in building up the colour. 

All the washes and filters are mixed by myself using artist oils and white spirit.

I struggle with acrylic washes/glazes especially in this scale, oils gives me the flexibility and time to blend and feather the colours.

I've actually just bought some inks but not used them on a model yet, they spray beautifully but some of the colours were very powerful so need to experiment with them

That's brilliant. Your method matches my own, though I'm a few giant steps behind you. I'm using the same basic ideas but haven't much experience yet. I use artists oils with  sansodor rather than white spirit and find Tamiya acrylic paints, heavily thinned, will glaze well. I haven't yet tried acrylics over oils thought. I just assumed it wouldn't work. That's a door opened to me that I thought was locked by physics. 

I've sprayed inks a few times and find them amazing, I've just bought a few more and mean to make more use of them. I like to apply them with a paintbrush too, when I want to keep the brushstrokes. Maybe on fur?

Thanks for all the help. :thanks:

• Like 1