Captured Panther

Hi all, I recently finished the Meng Panther A with Zimmerit in the colours of a vehicle captured and used by the Soviets. I broke away from the colour scheme in several areas but think the final paint job works reasonably well. This was my first stab at making my own zimmerit and I think it's ok, lots learned for next time though. I also put it next to a Panther I madea couple of years back which I think shows a reasonable amount of progress.

Enjoy

51871493688_db178593eb_k.jpg

51872057915_9d695b7290_k.jpg

51870448347_e3a6961c5f_k.jpg

51870450877_43828dd645_k.jpg

51872057990_b777e448b9_k.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

How odd that painting the turret green makes it look smaller. Or is that just me?

Looks great mate, making the Panther a lot more interesting. The Zimmerit looks good. What was your method?

Thanks, you're not wrong about the turret. I suspect there's a complex answer along the lines of 'small things reflect less light and so we perceive darker things as being smaller.'

The Zimmerit was milliput white, scored with a scalpel. I used some rough sandpaper pressed into the surface when nearly dry to create the roughness.

• Thanks 1

Nice to see a different style of finish. The Zimmerit looks very hand applied, rather than the uniform styles you get with the after market or already moulded on styles, adds to the realism of the finish. I agree the turret does look smaller, the eyes definitely play tricks. Good job.

• Thanks 1

Always interesting to see a different scheme like that. Weird how the turret looks smaller! 🥴

Still not plucked up the courage to tackle my Academy StuG IV, might try your method on it. I've used PE Zimmerit but the costs of the Eduard PE is more than I paid for the kit!

Pete