vaoinas

Thank you, guys!

Like everybody, I've spent most of my time lately doomscrolling the news,

but I have also found some time to do some modelling when the news get depressing and tiresome.

I've finally got and replaced the track tensioner bolts with a brass 0.8x0.6mm bolts and

these look pretty neat now.

spacer.png

Since it was the last thing to do with the hull, I got on with the turret.

Gun mantlet was replaced with a TMD resin one that I had and it needed some knife work to fit correctly.

Gun itself is a Aber aluminum replacement that for some reason had some pretty deep scratches on it.

hence the grey filler on the photo. Besa gun however was flawless. 

spacer.png

I replaced some larger screw heads on the turret roof as well. Tamiya also wants you to drill out a bunch

of location holes on the turret shell. I really won't need the holes as I'll use PE parts, but drilled these

out anyway just to seal with styrene rod. I mainly did this to mark the correct location of the details later.

spacer.png

Commanders cupola needed some more work. I remade the hatch struts scratch

But only had one for either hatch instead of two. It seems they had these in both configurations.

spacer.png

That's how she looks a turret on. I tried and fit a commanders

figure also in. It may need some more work there though.

Looks like a contemporary superstar with his mic and haircut up there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers!

kristjan

• Like 18

Awesome detail there @vaoinas. Very impressive.

Seeing your developing Matilda II reminded me of a book I read years ago entitled "Tramp in Armour" about a Matilda and crew caught behind enemy lines in France in 1940. Although fictional it made a good read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jack Klugman said:

Oh I have a question, how did you make the metal alloy screw heads ? Did you use a tool ?

I need something similar for my 1/16th Panzer 1 (in the appropriate scale !)

Hi Jack.

I used screw heads PE set made by Aber, the code is 35A101. 

There are plenty of these in various sizes on the fret.

Kristjan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Thanks, everyone!

Continuing with the details on the turret. The rack on the left side of the turret were straight out

of the Voyager set. Due to my lazy nature I didn't bother with the tarps on this, the rack quite often can be seen bare and empty on the photos 

spacer.png

Antenna mount needed a lot more attention. Both Tamiya and Voyager got it way too simplified. 

I didn't have a clear photo of the real thing but I think I got it quite right in the end.

The antenna is somewhat lose on the photos due to the fact that it is dry fitted there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the other hand, building the smoke launchers were quite straightforward only to add some rivets here and there.

Voyager provided resin pistol grips to these too, but unfortunately I got mine lost somewhere.

So I opted for Tamiya plastic here.

spacer.png

And that's pretty much it for the turret. The little boxes hanging on the turret edge that kit provides I didn't use as 

apparently desert Matildas weren't equipped with these. 

Here's also a shot of a headlight details I mentioned earlier - a reflector, a cover and a lense

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

• Like 14

And that's it for the build. 

It was surprisingly quick and straightforward this time.

Next to paint her to the caunter scheme.

Here's a little gallery for you:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

• Like 18

Superb work!

But you really need to change the commander's hair - it looks a bit too bouffant for the 1940s - even for an officer... If he's an NCO you need short back and sides, or a lot of brylcreem in it. 😄

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you very much, guys.

It's been an awful lot of a time since the last update. Painting is really not my favorite part of the hobby and
I tend to take far less photos of the progress at this phase.

It hasn't been a too fast progress either since the last update, but here we are with some that I've been busy with.

For the Caunter scheme I tried to follow the painting part of the Andy Moore's excellent Rolls-Royce build he had a few years back. 
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052137-rolls-royce-armoured-car/

So the base color to go was an AK RC104 Iraqi Sand, that was shaded with a RC079 Carc tan and lightly oversprayed  with a RC041 Portland Stone.
Silver Gray is a Mike Starmer mix as Andy used, but mine turned out pretty much the same as the AK RC038 Silver Gray straight out of the jar.
And Slate is an AK RC039 as it is.
Masking all that was a tad trickier than I initially thought but I think I got it alright this time.

Here's a few photos how it turned out.
spacer.png 

spacer.png

Even though Tamiya had the decals for the vehicle I was going to, I opted for the Echelon aftermarket decals, as Tamiya misses the triangular markings on the turret and overall the Echelon seem to be 

more accurately executed. Only issue to note is that Echelon misses some of the white-red-white markings on this particular scheme but these can be combined using other decals on the sheet.

Here, at the photos the model has had some oils and washes as well

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the tracks that has been burnished by now.

spacer.png

That's all for today.

Cheers!
Kristjan

• Like 21

Nice to see this one back on the bench, it looks stunning in it's war paint - great work

Stay safe             Roger

• Thanks 1

This is looking so good! You are a PE/scratchbuild wizard!!! I'm hoping some day i'll be half as good. 

The amount of detail you have put in is just stunning and it realy does the model justice. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all!

A few more photos of the progress before the finish line.

Here are the figures painted. Nothing to be proud of here though.
Left one turned out worst, but it will be hidden inside the turret, so it should be alright there.

spacer.png

The tracks went on without any hitches. These were a half a link too short (or too long if add an extra link) so I connected

the ends with a thin wire and hid the connection behind the side plate. 

spacer.png

Here are the headlights.

spacer.png

And last the pennants. I used a thin plastic bag for these. 

The blue one was later replaced though as I didn't fancy the chromatic color it had.

spacer.png

Cheers!
Kristjan

• Like 12

And that pretty much concludes this build

Thank you everyone for following this one.

It was a nice kit and a fun build and the TMD resin add-ons added some finesse to it all.

RFI is here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235113136-matilda-ii-mkiv/

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
  • Like 14