1/72 Tornado GR.4 (modified Revell kit, 41 Sqn special livery)

(Yes, this one’s the 1/72 model too! 👇)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's my attempt at ZA560, a late-model GR.4 in the special livery of 41 Sqn. Not up to the incredible standard of some builds on here, but looks convincing enough from a distance. (Especially in that first diorama shot, where it's partially in shadow!).

Kit: Revell 1/72 GR.1 Tornado

Paint: Hataka Red Line acrylics, mostly airbrushed but some brush painted bits. Mr Color gloss clear, then oil weathered, decals added, and a coat of Winsor & Newton matt varnish to seal.

Decals: Xtradecal Tornado GR4 specials (plus some from the kit and some from Eduard's Tornado stencil sheet)

Aftermarket mods: plenty! Wings with dropped flaps, wing gloves, replacement nose, Paveway IVs, BOL rails and the "Aircraft armed" sign decal all from Air-Graphic models. Aires resin cockpit set. The Sky Shadow, BOZ and Litening pods were Eduard Brassin. Eduard "Remove before flight" tags. Landing lights were some crystal gem-type decorative kids things from Hobbycraft, only because I dropped one of the kit ones on the carpet and never found it! These are a little bigger and better-looking anyway.

Scratchbuilt various antenna from plasticard, and those intake covers from tissue paper and PVA glue - not perfect but they're removable!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by The Shearwater
  • Like 65

Astonishing!  I had to look hard at the photos to determine whether they were the actual machine or not!  First class modelling skills combined with top notch photography.

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

Astonishing!  I had to look hard at the photos to determine whether they were the actual machine or not!  First class modelling skills combined with top notch photography.

Mark

Thank you, nice overlap of two hobbies for when the weather’s rubbish!

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The first photo. It is the model, isn't it? The photography is so clever that it actually distracted me from looking properly at the model!

And on close examination the model is very fine work too.

Thanks, yes I’d planned a ‘night apron’ photo but had assumed it would require at least two light sources. While setting up focus etc, just a single torch lying on the table gave this really good effect... so much simpler than I’d feared! Image is focus stacked too, to increase the DoF and sense of distance. Little extras like the ladder and GPU power cable really add atmosphere 👍

Edited by The Shearwater
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Shearwater said:

Especially in that first diorama shot, where it's partially in shadow!

I thought that was a reference pic of a real one! 

Excellent work - model and photography.

• Thanks 1

Excellent piece of art.  I had to look twice at the first picture, if it is the reference.  Absolute stunning, exactly my taste of photography.

You can be very proud of your work and your photography. All in all a masterpiece!

Andy 

• Thanks 1