RAF to buy Dassault Falcon to replace BAe146

Adam Poultney

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/dassault-falcon-trijets-to-replace-rafs-vip-roled-bae-146s/147419.article

I do think the Falcon is a very nice aircraft and it will look good in RAF markings. Just hope that it's not in Boring Standard Grey, or with a big UK flag over the whole tail which just sounds like a nightmare for us scale modellers! 

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:17 AM, Adam Poultney said:

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/dassault-falcon-trijets-to-replace-rafs-vip-roled-bae-146s/147419.article

I do think the Falcon is a very nice aircraft and it will look good in RAF markings. Just hope that it's not in Boring Standard Grey, or with a big UK flag over the whole tail which just sounds like a nightmare for us scale modellers! 

Well it will give the French something to laugh about 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a bad choice I guess, but service entry already in summer?

They must then be built already!

Does this company have any experience operating such high profile passengers? Seems new to the MoD at least...

I have some bad news...

On 2/9/2022 at 2:17 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Just hope that it's not [...] a big UK flag over the whole tail which just sounds like a nightmare for us scale modellers! 

2022-02-11_08-04-16

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Does this company have any experience operating such high profile passengers? Seems new to the MoD at least...

They have over 30 years experience in the executive aircraft business so I'm sure they are more than competent in such operations, let's face it, carrying VIP passengers is just carrying passengers, irrespective of status, additionally I believe it will be a mix of civilian and military crews before becoming full military when military specific kit is added.

I think anyway, these days, the Royal element is negligible, they tend to lease with executive jet companies as needed, this will I guess be used for more governmental and military leadership, which is what the company does.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:27 AM, exdraken said:

According to the internet there are two airframes currently being fitted outfitted in a Dassault facility in the United States.

I wonder if Welsh Models will see an opportunity to add the Falcon to their range alongside the existing Gulfstream/C-37....

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

I wonder when the last French aircraft purchased by the British armed forces was? I'm guessing a SPAD of some variety in about 1917?

You mean purely French?

What about Puma, Gazelle, Squirrel, Alphajet, Tucano, ? They are at least partly French, no?

The other way round is more complicated.... Lynx? 

• Like 2

On 13/02/2022 at 09:15, Beermonster1958 said:

🤮 That's hideous! Almost as bad as that Typhoon display scheme!

John

I'm not so bothered about the Typhoon paint job or the "flowing flag" design per se but it looks wrong there on the Falcon.  Having peered at it a while I think its the proportions between the paint job and the airframe.  If the flag design was smaller and only on the tail and not painted over the upper engine it would look better - maybe??:hmmm::shrug::fraidnot::D

I guess UK Aerospace dont make business jets anymore:(

On 03/04/2022 at 00:15, JohnT said:

I guess UK Aerospace dont make business jets anymore:(

British Aerospace, as it then was, sold its Corporate Jet division along with the rights to the HS125/BAe125 to Raytheon way back in Aug 1993 (yep, it really was that long ago!). They merged it with Beech Aircraft Corp the following year. Sadly the product line and the Hawker name they used for it latterly died in 2013.

And it was Nov 2001 that BAe Systems Regional Aircraft produced its last aircraft, an Avro RJX (aka BAe146). I can remember the type’s first flight! Now I feel really old!😒

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 8:08 AM, Vulcanicity said:

I wonder when the last French aircraft purchased by the British armed forces was? I'm guessing a SPAD of some variety in about 1917?

1937, I think. 

On 4/3/2022 at 12:15 AM, exdraken said:

You mean purely French?

What about Puma, Gazelle, Squirrel, Alphajet, Tucano, ? They are at least partly French, no?

The other way round is more complicated.... Lynx? 

The Squirrel is a purely French type but the status of the HT.1s can be debated, as they are owned by a civilian company. Similar situation for the Dauphins used to provide services to the FAA.

However the Twin Squirrels used by 32 Squadron in the past were operated by the RAF, so they were probably the latest French types in UK military service before the Falcon.

Earlier in 1961 the British Army acquired a total of 17 Alouette Mk.2. These seem to be totally forgotten by modellers and enthusiasts, even if they served for 27 years in various theatres

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Alpha Jets, as I understand, were operated by Qinetic not the RAF.   I'm not sure how the Tucano is French, but the Jaguar was in part, and French engines have powered many types including Jetstreams.  Let us mention Airbus types assembled in Toulouse?

But below the level of airframes and engines, in WW2 the Halifax had Messier undercarriages, the Boulton Paul turrets were from a French original, and the Hispano cannon was French.

• Like 1

Yes I was thinking of "purely" French designs so discounting joint ventures like the Jaguar, Puma etc. I also wasn't really thinking about types like the Qinetiq Alpha Jet and the Dewoitine which didn't see " regular" Service use. I had however totally forgotten the Squirrel and the Alouette - there goes the old ingrained prejudice against helicopters! 😳

• Like 2

The Allouette II has not totally been forgotten by modellers. At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, heres one I made earlier. 

Back on topic, they need to get a decent designer for colour schemes and keep them away from ministers

• Like 2