HMS Tiger, C20, mid-70's (Revell/ Matchbox)

To attain closure, I attach here some final photos of my completed HMS Tiger. The "in progress" thread can be found here:

In the end I decided not to create a customised sea base, primarily due to space constraints - have limited shelf space, so the size of each model is starting to be a consideration. Instead I placed it on a generic sea base, which I made in the hope that it can be recycled to take photos of multiple future models. I also include images of this model next to the Fujimi 1/700 HMS Eagle, for scale. It looks like the Eagle is rushing past a stationary Tiger... 

I will be posting more photos and detailed tips in my models web site (address in my signature panel); feel free to send me an email if you are planning to build this ship and would like some tips.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

f6d3b4_8798ae6c14154392a1013fee229a3344~spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.

I did the deal to sell a very sad and sorry HMS Tiger for scrap to a Spanish breaker's yard, Desguaces Varela SA, in 1986.  I had the desk in MOD PE for commercial ship, boat and maritime equipment disposals at the time.  And I discovered a couple of days ago that an acquiantance flew a Sea King from her, among other aircraft and ships.

There was a lot of interest in chunks of her steel as it was pre-atomic: smelted before the first nuclear weapon tests and without any background radioactivity.  And being armoured, available in relatively thick pieces.  All steel (and presumably other metals?) smelted since then contains small amounts of radioactivity from atmospheric nuclear weapon detonations.  Her steel was ideal for use in radiation monitoring equipment, medical imaging and other very sensitive applications.

What price a nice heavily-armoured warship and a large-calibre gun in the current situation?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Very nice.

I did the deal to sell a very sad and sorry HMS Tiger for scrap to a Spanish breaker's yard, Desguaces Varela SA, in 1986.  I had the desk in MOD PE for commercial ship, boat and maritime equipment disposals at the time.  And I discovered a couple of days ago that an acquiantance flew a Sea King from her, among other aircraft and ships.

There was a lot of interest in chunks of her steel as it was pre-atomic: smelted before the first nuclear weapon tests and without any background radioactivity.  And being armoured, available in relatively thick pieces.  All steel (and presumably other metals?) smelted since then contains small amounts of radioactivity from atmospheric nuclear weapon detonations.  Her steel was ideal for use in radiation monitoring equipment, medical imaging and other very sensitive applications.

What price a nice heavily-armoured warship and a large-calibre gun in the current situation?

Yes, it was a sad story in particular because they did not get much service time after the refit to helicopter cruiser. All reference images I got show the Tiger as a very well maintained ship, with little weathering. It was probably still good for many years.

Both Tiger and Blake were docked for re-activation for the Falklands conflict.  But for a heap of reasons their refits were called-off.  Needing crews of 800+ was a major factor, also in them going out of service.  And they were still steam ships.  And their weapon systems were really behind the times, maintenance-intensive and dubiously reliable.  Neither had fired their guns since 1979 and they weren't exactly reliable then.  Presumably the ammunition was still stocked while they were held in reserve.

6 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Both Tiger and Blake were docked for re-activation for the Falklands conflict.  But for a heap of reasons their refits were called-off.  Needing crews of 800+ was a major factor, also in them going out of service.  And they were still steam ships.  And their weapon systems were really behind the times, maintenance-intensive and dubiously reliable.  Neither had fired their guns since 1979 and they weren't exactly reliable then.  Presumably the ammunition was still stocked while they were held in reserve.

I read that the Seacat proved more effective in scaring away enemy pilots (making them miss the bomb run) than in actually hitting anything.

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I really like that  -it looks far too sophisticated and detailed to be a Matchbox ship!

Rob

The kit does not lie about its origins and vintage...

Although, as it as been pointed out to me by another Britmodeller, this was probably the Revell re-box, given the fact that the plastic was all grey.

(I bought it as an "used item" from eBay, so I did not get it in the proper box)

spacer.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hat's off to whoever makes your magnifying glasses! That rigging is microscopic. Very clever work throughout. Well done.

I got them free from a retiring dentist. Really great stuff, these guys have the most comfortable equipment to wear (not surprisingly I guess)

• Like 1

On 09/02/2022 at 03:37, Das Abteilung said:

Both were looked at for re-activation, their larger guns would have been ideal for fire support, but sadly, one of the main reasons they were not re-activated was that we had disposed of the ammo for their guns shortly before 1982.