PK-303 Porsche 917/10 . Finished

OK,  here's the starting point for my Porsche 917/10 .  It's been badly started and then stuck away in the stash for over 30 years .  The price ticket on the box is from E N Carless Lrd of Crewe and I know for a fact that the shop closed on 1st April 1989 , so I've definitely had it since then .  It's one of those kits which I've pulled out countless times over the years , looked at and then put away again , so it's time I did something with it .

20220208-231815.jpg

Edited by rs2man
Completed build
  • Like 12

Be still my pounding heart!   

A car that I saw racing at Silverstone in the 1970s - truly epic!

Then a kit that I built when it came out.  

Where oh where is that model now?  

The Porsche 917 is my very favourite car.  Such a beast.

• Like 1

Great to see a Porsche 917 making an appearance. I remember sitting in front of the fire on Christmas morning putting one of these and a Dornier Skyservant together around 1975.

• Like 1

No real progress on the model , though I did manage to remove the top half of the main body so I can make a better job of painting the interior .  I did , however , order some decals on Ebay from a seller in the USA for the Liggett & Myers livery .  The confirmation of shipment included a lot more info than the Ebay listing and it turns out they're laser printed so could well be rubbish .  Consequently I won't be painting the main bodywork till I've received and tried the decals,  in case I have to fall back on the kit colour scheme 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 1:33 AM, TimJ said:

Great to see a Porsche 917 making an appearance. I remember sitting in front of the fire on Christmas morning putting one of these and a Dornier Skyservant together around 1975.

I think most of us here would still smile at the thought of unwrapping these two kits this Christmas.

Gifts were easy back then, however I'd still prefer a $50 model kit then some of the more expensive items I (still gratefully) receive these days. For me Christmas was a model kit and hopefully the Squadron Signal in action book of the same subject to go with it! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

A belated official welcome from me @rs2man and it's so good to have this 917 join the other great car builds we now have here. It's time she finally got finished and I'm glad you've decided to have a go within this GB. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I think most of us here would still smile at the thought of unwrapping these two kits this Christmas.

Gifts were easy back then, however I'd still prefer a $50 model kit then some of the more expensive items I (still gratefully) receive these days. For me Christmas was a model kit and hopefully the Squadron Signal in action book of the same subject to go with it! 

Cheers.. Dave 

I think my best Christmas haul was the first year I got into building kits, probably aged about 11 or 12; I received a Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper S, Italeri Bugatti Royale Berline De Voyage (both long gone) and a Hasegawa Buick Wildcat, which I still have.  All three were then built over the remainder of the Christmas holiday, I don't think I'd have got away with building them on Christmas day.

Nothing to do with Matchbox, but it's nice to look back on what were simpler times with none of the stress of adult life.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

20220315-201153.jpg

Body tub , rear subframe and front and rear suspension assembled , primed and painted .  Front and rear body sections white primed .  Bit of work on the engine . 

Sadly , I will be pausing for a while once the engine is finished because the Liggett and Myers decals I got from Ebay are a bit rubbish so I've ordered some hopefully better ones from Indycals in the US and am waiting their arrival .  Annoyingly , I had to order 2 sets because photos on their website show the decals to be incomplete- neither Indycals nor the laser-printed ones I got from Ebay have striping for the underside of the rear wings .

• Like 4

Nice progress and good to wait until a better set of decals comes along. Bad decals can really hurt a well made model, so I’m glad your taking a slight pause in order to get this one right. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• 3 weeks later...

20220411-210308.jpg

A little more progress with the Porsche.  I masked and sprayed the rollover hoop white , then added the pre-painted seats and battery . I could find no car seatbelts in 1/32 so I bought an Airwaves etched set for an F-4 Phantom , which look the part when sprayed red .  Wheels have been painted and then matt varnished to take the edge off the chrome and the tyres have been decalled and matt varnished to seal the decals in .  The wheels are only fitted temporarily as the suspension still needs detail painting .  Finally , and barely visible in this shot , I picked out all the moulded-on pipework in the engine bay with a black Sharpie .

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

Too late, I know, but for 1/32 car belts, try here 

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=16489

I have a set, they're quite nice. Eventually, I'll finish a car to a stage where they're needed. 

The 917 is looking good! 

Thanks for the info .  Very useful to know that is available .  I really need to look at Spotmodel more often .

• rs2man changed the title to PK-303 Porsche 917/10 . Finished

Superb decal work. The model looks to be larger than 1.32.

The seatbelts really set the whole model off to perfection. Those, and the yellow fan catch the viewers eye and frame the rest of the detailing in a very satisfying way.