1/72 - Pioneer 2 - Hawker Sea Fury 155 (WJ 236)

One kit finishes and a new one is started. This time a Hawker Sea-fury of the Royal Canadian Navy. Just started this and looking forward to the build. Got the fuselage under way tonight. Not much detail on the interior of the kit, so just a coat of cockpit green and stick the seat and floor into position. The plastic on the cockpit was a little uneven so I filed it symmetrical. Just spent most of my evening doing some research into the kit and aircraft itself. If there are any mistakes please bear with me. However, Iam open to any suggestions and advice. Cheers Keith.  

spacer.png  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
  • Like 4

• Valleyforge changed the title to 1/72 - Pioneer 2 - Royal Canadian Navy Hawker Sea Fury 114.

First problem Ive come across this evening and after a test fit of the drop tanks, in the holes provided and then cut, it looks a little close to the parts that hold the rockets in place. Iam sure that cant be right. I see that the drop tanks are close. However, if this was real life its a little to close for comfort. Those drop tanks must be made of strong stuff to take the back lash as the rocket goes off on its journey.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Well its coming together. However, Iam a little concerned that those drop tanks are not in the right place and I am beginning to think this is a manufacturers mistake. Keep looking at the picture on the box and there does seem to be a little bit of difference as the the gaps on the kit and the gaps in the picture. 

That will do for tonight. ill have to work out the drop tank and rocket situation.

spacer.png

• Like 4

18 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Sea Fury cockpits were black.

I shall have a further look into it. Thats a good point if I decide to look into making one again. Thanks

For this build its a little to late as Ive really moved on and its nearly complete. 

Ill live with it and put it down to artistic license. 

Edited by Valleyforge

Lost a few images on the phone. So all the pictures I took on Thursday of the advancement on the Sea-fury have been lost. Here are the ones from today showing the tone colour scheme that I did. EDSG and Sky type S. All gloss varnishing as been done and the kit is ready for some decals now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• Valleyforge changed the title to 1/72 - Pioneer 2 - Hawker Sea Fury 155 (WJ 236)

Not been able to work on the models for a while. So made some movement on the Hawker Sea Fury to get myself going again. All changed now to what I originally set out to do due to the colour all being wrong. Decided to have a go at making my own decals. Plenty of trial and error. However, Ive come up with these and just printed a set out; due to the decals with the kit just totally disintegrating in the water. Ill leave them over night and apply some clear lacquer in the morning with the hope of putting them on tomorrow.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Well @Valleyforge, count your blessings for the RCN decals breaking up. The Canadian Sea Furies went through four colour schemes, and the last two schemes did not use Sky as the lighter colour because the RCN did not want green airplanes, they wanted grey ones. The decals you had were for CSMA IV, the last colour scheme used. A good colour match for CSMA III and CSMA IV is Tamiya XF-24 (Dark Grey) over Tamiya XF-19 (Sky Grey).

Good luck with your home made decals.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

Looks smashing in the Sky/EDSG scheme.

Did you end up moving the rockets/tanks from their kit-provided locating holes or are they where the kit makers intended? Taking notes from your build for an Airfix re-pop in the stash.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Just a few pictures on the Sea-fury and very little work done on anything again this week. I fitted the black numbering and lettering and Iam pretty pleased with how they turned out. Did a fair bit of research on the fonts for the aircraft and this particular one seems to tick all the boxes. Apparently this style was used towards the end of WW2 and mostly used on single seat fighter planes into the 50s. Seeing that this aircraft was from 1952 it looked like the right one to use. Going to try and get on with the roundels this week, which should be fun. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Sprayed up the necessary areas in Vallejo Matt White ready to receive the decals that I made a couple of weeks a go. 

Sorry for the crazy photo sizes, Ive changed the image size back to something a little more normal.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 1:06 AM, AdrianMF said:

Did you end up moving the rockets/tanks

I did not move the tanks. However, I did move one set of rockets and re located them a little closer to the edge of the wing. I really thought the rockets were way to close to the tanks. I am sure thats a kit mistake, as if that was real life the rocket launcher would be inches away from the drop tanks. 

Looks smashing in the Sky/EDSG scheme.

I think it looks good in this scheme to. I was going to do a Canadian version. However, I read up a lot about the apparent confusion, for the colour schemes, when they were ordered in real life. It sounds like some body made a big mistake when they were painted and they did not meet the RCN approval. 

Airfix re-pop in the stash.

Good luck with the build.  

On 3/16/2022 at 11:52 PM, Wlad said:

RCN decals breaking up

Yes fortunate in away as Ive learnt how to make my own and hopefully use the right fonts to

The Canadian Sea Furies went through four colour schemes,

Ive read all about the confusion that was caused in the 50s with the colour schemes. Very interesting.

A good colour match for CSMA III and CSMA IV is Tamiya XF-24 (Dark Grey) over Tamiya XF-19 (Sky Grey).

I think the Canadian Sea Fury is on the cards for a build some time in the future.

Good luck with your home made decals.

Thanks for that. They came out OK, not brilliant, but OK. 

Really quite impressed with the whole home made decal thing. I can see that there are easier ways to do this. However at the time I just went with the idea I had. After painting the initial area with the flat white paint I put on the decals and some and some Mig decal set; to settle it and see if it would sink a little more into the recesses. Things have been learnt and maybe some changes for next time. However, for now, Iam really satisfied with the results. 

spacer.png

Now to fix the rocket back on that came off.

spacer.png

Long over due. However, an excellent bit of learning.

• Like 3

Well finally after a cracking start and then a long delay in working on the decals, the Sea-fury is done. Really happy with the way this turned out and as to how the home made decals have finished off the model. Will be hopefully looking to make a few more with the home made decal set up as it really does make you feel like you have put that bit more of an extra stamp on to the build. 

spacer.png 

• Like 4