SAMI and MA back.

Whofan

That's not the modern way - see also utility or telecomms companies.  Those who are with you for a long time can be ignored: special offers will be made to draw new customers.  If this does lead to losing some then that's ok, as every company is the same so you will gain as many as you lose.

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

Deeply dishonest and shamelessly profiteering. If they have any subscribers left (and that seems like a VERY big if), there are going to be some disappointed punters out there. Surely keeping your loyal customers happy should be any company's main priority?

Chris. 

One might think, Chris, but there will be those out there who simply are either oblivious or who don't care and will continue to be loyal.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

That's not the modern way - see also utility or telecomms companies.  Those who are with you for a long time can be ignored: special offers will be made to draw new customers.  If this does lead to losing some then that's ok, as every company is the same so you will gain as many as you lose.

Just been through that with our cable and internet provider, Graham. Took me the best part of 5 hours over three days to get our bill reduced to the levels that new subscribers are getting. The days when 'customer is king' are coming to an end. 

2 hours ago, Des said:

Much the same myself but was wondering if it actually existed or if it was going to be another 'phantom' issue beset by a catastrophic string of unlikely coincidences that no other monthly seems to have suffered from in the past two years. 

I think there is more likelihood that it will appear in the shops, but who knows?

I will be very interested to see if the March issue is a repeat.

Just purchased the February issues of MA and SAMI from local WH Smiths, the freebie 1/144 Fairey Battle included, but what a disappointment inside the articles are exactly same as April 2021 issues inside,

• Like 1

In my local newsagent this morning.

With their house style being to have what are ultimately very 'sameish' covers month in/month out I was wondering following the conversation here about recycled content if the freebies with each of this months titles being sealed in poly bags with the magazines were intended to prevent closer examination of the contents and full realisation that it was more than the cover that might seem familiar.

• Like 4

Not only are the issues all the same as before, I know that a fair few of the contributors weren’t paid for their work the first time around. Some of them are owed hundreds of pounds. I’ll not be buying either of these magazines again.

Cheers,

Carl.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, carlstavros said:

Not only are the issues all the same as before, I know that a fair few of the contributors weren’t paid for their work the first time around. Some of them are owed hundreds of pounds. I’ll not be buying either of these magazines again.

Cheers,

Carl.

You are correct. I've been screwed over for at least 4 articles and 2 of them, that l know of, have been used twice. When l confronted the owner about the outstanding payments, he told me, 'I owe you nothing' and I quote: 'People like you but for me would be unknown'. Right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, HartDeco said:

When l confronted the owner about the outstanding payments, he told me, 'I owe you nothing' and I quote: 'People like you but for me would be unknown'. Right.

The previous owner of the company knew squat about modelling, but fancied himself a hotshot businessman. After my Hunter MDF was published, I was asked what I'd like to follow up with and proposed a two-part datafile on the Canberra. Despite the magazine staff all thinking it was a great idea, the owner vetoed it because "the Canberra wasn't a fighter"....... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I'm  glad to have quit buying any modelling mag. Sounds like they are in turmoil. But I did pickup the MAM for the  Battle kit though just because it was there. Had no idea about the repeat editions issues I am also glad I don't  do reviews for SAMI any more and haven't  done so in years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

I was interested to see that the publisher was given as "SAM Publications".  Unless the information hasn't been updated on the Companies House website, this company was dissolved in January 2020.  It makes one wonder exactly what is going to happen in the future.

I thought an organisation called 'MA Publications Ltd., had taken over. Same officers as SAM Publications Ltd had at time of its dissolution. 

MA Publications Ltd has a suspended 'Compulsory Strike Off action, apparently due to overdue accounts and failure to report, so it may have similar troubles. Companies House appears to have very limited powers. 

Edited by John B (Sc)

On 2/20/2022 at 12:15 AM, Paul Bradley said:

The previous owner of the company knew squat about modelling, but fancied himself a hotshot businessman. After my Hunter MDF was published, I was asked what I'd like to follow up with and proposed a two-part datafile on the Canberra. Despite the magazine staff all thinking it was a great idea, the owner vetoed it because "the Canberra wasn't a fighter"....... 

A year or two before your experience I had offered to use my 'retired' status to get access for a helicopter walkround for use in SAMI/MAM but would only request permission if it was going to be used which was agreed.     Wrote off in the proper 'form' and duly arrangements were made after phone calls from the powers that be I knew asking me why they were getting phone calls from the powers that be elsewhere checking on my bona fides.      Few months went by with mention of the article going to appear 'soon' until eventually I was told that the executive decision was 'helicopters don't sell'.     Left me in a hugely embarrassing situation of having to explain this to the operator and although I still have the material on file and have since moved 'digs' subsequent events in the real world  have meant that on grounds of  taste and sensitivity I could never consider using it.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

I thought an organisation called 'MA Publications Ltd., had taken over. Same officers as SAM Publications Ltd had at time of its dissolution. 

MA Publications Ltd has a suspended 'Compulsory Strike Off action, apparently due to overdue accounts and failure to report, so it may have similar troubles. Companies House appears to have very limited powers. 

Weren't they now registered as 666 Printing, or something like that? I guess they ran out of letters to form another 'new' company with....

2 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

I thought an organisation called 'MA Publications Ltd., had taken over.

That is ideed so, with Hobbyzone in between. Why has this latest issue used the name and logo of what appears to be a defunct company I wonder?

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

That is ideed so, with Hobbyzone in between. Why has this latest issue used the name and logo of what appears to be a defunct company I wonder?

Sounds like an oversight somewhere, which given the apparent recycling of previously used material isn't too surprising. Must get tricky keeping track of all these former companies !

• Like 3

As has been pointed out previously, you need to keep such speculation out of these threads. Anything like this, unless you have detailed proof, can lead to accusations of libel. @Mike closed several previous threads discussing MA & SAMI due to similar comments in the past. Stick to what you know, and not to be speculating about what you don't.

Edited by treker_ed