SAMI and MA back.

Whofan

I noticed that the website for SAMI, MA and MMI  is showing February 2022 issues with free gifts - sanding pads for SAMI, 1/144 Zvezda fairey battle and a German machine gun with crew (1/72).

I'm assuming these will be on the shelves in WH Smiths this week, have there been any sightings?

36 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

So they have spare money to give away freebies, but not enough to pay the contributors they’ve ripped off over the past couple of years? Riiiiiiiight.

They have included freebies before , funded by the maker/distributor and usually confined to specific shop chains , much the same as other publishers such as Key bundle free publications with their monthlies occasionally for Tesco or WH Smith etc. , always feel that it makes a mockery of the often promoted idea that a monthly reserved copy with the outlet of your choice is next best thing to a subscription.

• Like 1

Although I have not seen them myself, I am reliable told that the latest February 2022 SAMI issue is in fact a redacted version of April 2021's issue with the editorial and diary pages replaced but the same cover and articles - even the 'NEWS". or more correctly YEAR OLD NEWS. The same is true for February's MAM and SMMI. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Although I have not seen them myself, I am reliable told that the latest February 2022 SAMI issue is in fact a redacted version of April 2021's issue with the editorial and diary pages replaced but the same cover and articles - even the 'NEWS". or more correctly YEAR OLD NEWS. The same is true for February's MAM and SMMI. 

Just checked and the April and May issues were the missing ones, weren;t they? So if this is what they have done, it ought to be made clear.

Edited by Whofan

A hypothetical question asked out of curiosity: if a contributor has an article for which they are entitled to payment published in one issue, then that article is published again in a subsequent issue, are they entitled to payment again?

54 minutes ago, MikeC said:

A hypothetical question asked out of curiosity: if a contributor has an article for which they are entitled to payment published in one issue, then that article is published again in a subsequent issue, are they entitled to payment again?

I suspect that it depends on any contract signed or agreed and it’s terms. My bet is that the publisher pays a fee and contracts to use the article as sees fit in any and all publications including reprints. You would need to see the actual terms to know for sure though. 

The publishers will be in breach of contract to magazine subscribers though if they have taken 12 months payment and are sending out reprints. Won’t affect off the shelf buyers though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

I've had articles published in SAMI which then appeared in a 'Special' a while later. Only payment was for the initial publication.

13 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Wasn't it Groundhog Day last week ?

I have the print copies of the April 2021 issues in front of me and only difference on the cover , other than dates and barcode info , is that the 'Under New Ownership' flash on the 2021 SAMI does not seem to be repeated on the 2022 image.

13 hours ago, Whofan said:

Just checked and the April and May issues were the missing ones, weren;t they?

Sure that they were one of the issues that were only going to be available on subscription so signed up for three months worth and Dave did a great job distributing them from his garage.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WarthogMKL said:

Very disapointing

15 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Very restrained. 😉

Should have just left it! You've got two 'head, shoulders and body' better publications than your previous employer.........nuff said 👍🏽

• Like 1

My word - thanks Mr Bradley. Amazing.

That is a  breath-taking level of brass neck ! 

I really feel sorry for any random newsagent buyer who may think he/she is getting a new production magazine.  Stupidly, I feel that makes us all look bad!

John B

• Like 3

I just typed the names and months of the mags into Google Image and copied the results - they were daft enough to leave up the old ones for anyone who cared to search. 

I agree that it's breath-taking. This was hardly accidental - this could only have been done deliberately. Do they think people are stupid? 

• Like 5

This is the 3rd month they reprint issues from last year.

As expected, the contributors haven't been paid again.

I guess l can offer my articles to another magazine now as they can't claim any rights to any of them. We're talking about at least 4 articles of mine alone here.

René

Edited by HartDeco
  • Like 3

On 2/9/2022 at 8:35 AM, MikeC said:

What do you mean with again? lol

René

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2022 at 8:21 PM, Whofan said:

I noticed that the website for SAMI, MA and MMI  is showing February 2022 issues with free gifts - sanding pads for SAMI, 1/144 Zvezda fairey battle and a German machine gun with crew (1/72).

I'm assuming these will be on the shelves in WH Smiths this week, have there been any sightings?

No sign in my local newsagent as recently as this afternoon (Friday) , last issues were on the shelves by the end of the first week in January so would have thought the next might have appeared by now.

11 hours ago, Des said:

No sign in my local newsagent as recently as this afternoon (Friday) , last issues were on the shelves by the end of the first week in January so would have thought the next might have appeared by now.

Cheers Des, haven't had a chance to look myself in the local Smiths.

Given I already have it - April 2021's issue, as mentioned by others, I won't be buying it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

Cheers Des, haven't had a chance to look myself in the local Smiths.

Given I already have it - April 2021's issue, as mentioned by others, I won't be buying it.

Much the same myself but was wondering if it actually existed or if it was going to be another 'phantom' issue beset by a catastrophic string of unlikely coincidences that no other monthly seems to have suffered from in the past two years. 

• Like 4

Deeply dishonest and shamelessly profiteering. If they have any subscribers left (and that seems like a VERY big if), there are going to be some disappointed punters out there. Surely keeping your loyal customers happy should be any company's main priority?

Chris. 

• Like 3