Handley Page HP42 - Still under construction..

Nils

I got so inspired seeing Moa's thread here where he spent the most of a year building his beautiful vacuform HP42 kit, so after some researching I decided it to be doable and wanted to build it myself as a 3D digital model..

I did the mistake to deem it to be an easy build, but that has long ago been changed :) This old girl certainly has her challenges, and I haven't solved them all to my wished standard yet, but oposed to Moa's vacuform, I can go back and rework it if there are parts I'm not satisfied with.. to be honest what I admire most form Moa's thread is that he never gave it up, no matter how hopeless it looked from seeing the first images of the vacuum pressed parts.. and the how beautiful it came out as finished.
So the here's my first shots then, but as you can see only fuselage has been painted or textured as it's called. Wings struts engines and landing gear are to be done later. Critics are always welcome..
Pics are hosted from Flickr.com

WIP Handley Page HP42

WIP Handley Page HP42_4 WIP Handley Page HP42_3 WIP Handley Page HP42_2 WIP Handley Page HP42_5
  • Like 8

Thanks guys, hopefully it’ll improve once I’ve textured the rest and getting better control of the reflections in the various materials surfaces. As you can see the cockpit still doesn’t look much like metal etc .. also I see I need to build new exhaust tings for my engines, wrong profile of the rings.. 🙄

• Like 1

A little progress for tonight, the whole plane is now textured and almost finished. Some small corrections needed here and there, pluss some makeshift interior to ber built, and pilots and perhaps a passenger or two peering out the windows.. but I'm sure there some more details I have wrong that need fixing.
I ended up choosing "Hanno" (G-AAUD). First I started out doing "Hannibal", then "Heracles" (but I discovered that was a HP45 type) so I ended up with this (if you are hawk eyed, you'll see two of my images tonight are infact wrong, showing Hanno as a HP45 type, with three struts on the outer ends on both sides, instead of two struts and crossing wires) img 1 and 2 here are wrong type, but it's been corrected.
The HP45 had a shorter range than the HP42's, and was intended for the european lines, but they it could accomodate more passengers with less cargo. Not sure why but I like the HP42 types better..

HP_7

HP_8

HP_9

HP_10

HP_11

HP_13

Edited by Nils
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...