No more pictures from Ian Kennedy, 2000AD and Commando artist dies at 89

Toe

So sad, grew up on his amazing distinctive artistry within IPC and DC Thomson, all the comics I read when younger had many of his strips and even a Scalextric Catalogue!

Born in Dundee in 1932, Kennedy was too young for service during World War Two but the planes flying overhead sparked a lifelong obsession with aircraft. After leaving school, he began work as a trainee illustrator in the Art Department of comic and magazine publisher DC Thomson & Co, where his first job was inking the black boxes of the crossword of the Sunday Post.

https://treasuryofbritishcomics.com/ian-kennedy-1932-2022/?fbclid=IwAR3enL85UWsKZydb7kxSZIhmf2m6wLwYlHJZ78TdActiNB7gaF_qo4ejlOo

I still have a copy of this edition and the entire reason I bought it was because of the cover art!! 

51870860590_8945d0c9c3_n.jpg

And another, a wrap around for a 2000AD issue I bought, brings so many good memories back

6db7cvwi1jf31.png

Rest in peace Ian 

Edited by Toe
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

• 3 months later...

I loved those little Commando mags! My gran always bought them or gave me money to buy them when I was on holiday! At least he has made many a lad (and many much older lads) happy with 'Commando', well done sir! All the good people are disappearing now. Sad news.🙁

• Like 1

Sad news, Commando and Air Ace were my favourites growing up and must be at least partially responsible for my interest in WW2 aircraft.

Dennis

• Like 1