Mark's F-13

MarkSH

15 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I'd check sprue shots, but, given the above, I suspect the J7-A is basically the same kit.

this suggest you can

You most definitely can't, the J-7A comes with the tail of later production J-7A's which has a built in braking parachute housed at the rear, something that is not on a stock Mig-21 F-13.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Progress on anything is in short supply at the moment, but a little has been accomplished on the Trumpeter MiG.

Cockpit tub and aft spine compartment, nose gear bay, avionics bay, main gear wells and engine have all been painted up (mostly) and glued in place.  The vertical fin has been assembled and seams sanded.

The separate tail sections were glued to their respective fuselage halves.  And yes I know I've already fitted the nose gear leg but given my track record with aircraft undercarriage I couldn't bring myself to add another troublesome assembly into the mix,

I'll just have to treat it all with kid gloves.

ANMAaRz.jpg

A test fit shows that gluing the tail sections in advance, instead of as a complete assembly as the instructions would have you, was the right choice....much less remedial filling and sanding will be required.

Despite some opinions that this kit is inaccurate, it's starting to look like what its supposed to look like and honestly, it all fits like a dream, so far no complaints from me but then I'm no Fishbed expert.

vz4d7z5.jpg

I painted the avionics bay black, with the "bonnet" on, nothing will be seen so why I dry brushed it is unknown, I even spent a few moments trying to decide what to dry brush it with....I came to my senses very quickly.

The same thing applies to the front face of the engine compressor, all quite nicely detailed but utterly superfluous.

I test fitted the canopy (not shown) and quite a lot can be seen of the cockpit so very happy with the extra detail I've included.

2b5cWal.jpg

I need to properly paint up the nose cone and intake ring before fitting, then the fuselage halves can be mated.

I like this kit.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

I painted the avionics bay black, with the "bonnet" on, nothing will be seen so why I dry brushed it is unknown, I even spent a few moments trying to decide what to dry brush it with....I came to my senses very quickly.

The same thing applies to the front face of the engine compressor, all quite nicely detailed but utterly superfluous.

But the avionics bay does look very good, and here it is, preserved on BM for eternity!

All looking very nice Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice looking work sir, we know its there. 

You'll need a borescope to see any of the engine detail!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

You'll need a borescope to see any of the engine detail!

I was thinking the same thing Mark, I am just making a start on mine and wondering how much time to put into the engine as I don't think anything other than the very rear of the engine will be visible.

🇺🇦

@modelling minion you're absolutely right, fortunately the rear end of the engine is quite nicely detailed but even that is set a ways inside the tail section, I went with a fairly dark iron colour with some red and blue weathering powder for the heat effects.

• Like 1

Nice job mark ,nice model kit ,you're  doing a fine job ,it all looks good, a sister kit to craigs and my  -um, it does fit together really well , as i said to craig with his um build the only thing i found to be wary of is the avionics panel

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I was thinking the same thing Mark, I am just making a start on mine and wondering how much time to put into the engine as I don't think anything other than the very rear of the engine will be visible.

🇺🇦

I had the same on my Eduard kit. They wanted me to paint the interior of the fuselage but once the engine and rear of the fuselage were glued up you’d never see any of it. I just painted the inside of the engine and the very last inch which is exposed and seen. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Apologies to the hosts, but this one is going back in the box and will remain there until I feel more comfortable dealing with all things Russian.  I know that the subject of the GB is not the issue but it just doesn't feel right working on it given the news and images coming out of that part of the world.

Cheers,

Mark

🇺🇦

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Hi all,

Apologies to the hosts, but this one is going back in the box and will remain there until I feel more comfortable dealing with all things Russian.  I know that the subject of the GB is not the issue but it just doesn't feel right working on it given the news and images coming out of that part of the world.

Cheers,

Mark

🇺🇦

Hi Mark,

No need to apologise mate as you are most definitely not the only person to have that thought, I gave it some serious thought myself before carrying on and find the motivation quite difficult at times and the Mig-21 is one of my favourite aircraft. I hop that you are able to finish your superb model in the future and when you do you let us know how it turned out.

Craig.

🇺🇦

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 2

Thanks Craig,

I was actually enjoying the kit, so as you say I'll save it for the future and let you know how it turns out.

Mark.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 11:48 AM, MarkSH said:

but this one is going back in the box and will remain there until I feel more comfortable dealing with all things Russian.

Perfectly understandable Mark. I hope to catch-up with it later when (if) we feel more favourably towards the Russians.

Best wishes,

• Like 1