HMS Grey Goose. SGB. 1/350 by Atlantic Models

Faraway

8 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, she's superb. That bridge you've done, extremely good.

Looking forward to seeing Bismarck. Of course, HMS Hood will have to follow. And neither can you ignore the Pacific - you'll have to do a USS Missouri and either IJN Yamato or Nagato.

Just for starters. 😁     Regards, Jeff.

Cheers Jeff.

You are right, I’ll see how I get on with Bismarck, before committing to HMS Hood in 1/700. I thought a Battleship might be a good start, as it’s bigger than a destroyer. I’ve already got Aoshima’s IJN Atago in 1/350, a big ship. But if I get on with 1/700 it should save me space AND money. As they tend to be a bit cheaper, unless I add lots of extras, as I’m want to do. :doh:

Jon

• Like 5

Little bits have been added today.

Windscreen fixed to the bridge and glazed, machine guns to tubs and platform to the outside of the gun tubs.

And some 'Bobs Buckles' in preparation for the rigging.

Jon

p?i=8fdee5bb90637c797e0b618156b7927e

p?i=aac02e5e33cfcc420af5b2542bb372e6

p?i=0d9ad68bc9a09a86938023e26b9b2c36

• Like 9

Been a bit elsewhere lately, so not much done. But, I had a thought that fitting this little boat to the base AFTER fitting masts, railings etc. might be a recipe for disaster.

So, I've stuck it to its base, not the best representation of an Atlantic sea, but just about passable.

I do have some 1/350 crew figures, so I might add three or four to the deck. It would be a bit odd as she is at sea and not have any crew on deck.

Jon

p?i=b4f06c72194b6f5bb1f350966c60ef54

p?i=76ed0f43613700f95b68c829f6b38db0

• Like 9

Hi Jon,

I can't get my head around these tiny scales I'm afraid, but please check out my build and RFI threads for Grey Fox for additional detail @ 1:48th scale.

Like you I opted for greys but later read (I can't recall where) that the SGN's were given their own special colour scheme of greens :banghead:  and this seems to be born out by Malcolm Wright in his book on WW2 Warship Camouflage

img21022022_158

However, your scheme certainly aligns well with this painting of Grey Goose

SGB 9 Grey Goose 6

So, as ever, who really knows.  I just thought I'd bring up the green option for anyone else considering this subject, if I known, I would have opted for that unusual scheme

Great little model.  If you need any information, I did a ton of research and have dozens of pictures and drawings, always happy to help

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Despite the colour pics in the Wright illustrations - the actual call-out colours in the text relate to the scheme portrayed in the painting - namely "MS2 or B30 and washed out MS3 on an overall white hull".

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Steve hi All,

Malcolm Wright's book contains lot of erkhm.... revolutionary theories about ship's camouflages and very nonchalant (I wolud say just frustrating messy) profiles. That's why I don't trust too much his informations (50/50?)  and always try to confirm and check another sources. 

Regards,

Michał

PS. Really inpressive job and beauty scheme on Greey Goose!

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

@Steve D I did look at your stunning scratch build, still can’t believe what I watched. HOW do you do it ? @socjo1 no matter how many books and sources of reference you look at, very few seem to agree with each other. @robgizlu I used the colour scheme as per the build instructions, which are very close to the actual photos of this little ship, I used Jamie’s Western Approach’s colour set.

I do thank you all for this information, as always it is most welcome and yet again raises the eternal cry of ‘I wish there were more colour photos from WW2’.

And also, I get the impression that all ships of this period seem to change their camouflage schemes quite regularly.

At the moment, I’m starting to do the rigging and am fast approaching the end. And for another ‘first’ I’ve used brass wire for the signal halyards. Seems to be working so far.

Photos to follow.

Jon

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Steve D said:

Hi Jon,

I can't get my head around these tiny scales I'm afraid, but please check out my build and RFI threads for Grey Fox for additional detail @ 1:48th scale.

Like you I opted for greys but later read (I can't recall where) that the SGN's were given their own special colour scheme of greens :banghead:  and this seems to be born out by Malcolm Wright in his book on WW2 Warship Camouflage

img21022022_158

The most fundamental problem with Wright's profiles and text are that the profiles are often not able to be supported by photographic evidence when challenged (challenge on social media usually results in being sworn at and blocked by him), but even where some starting point may exist the final illustration and text are derived from multiple layers of error and confusion.

Riddle me this - how does one make a green from these pigments?

B30_Formula.png?v=1645519676

I am well aware that my fixation on paints and their precise colour is seen by many people as lacking understanding of the real world. Whilst there definitely were variances in manufactured and applied paint, those variances do not stretch to ultramarine blue pigments making green paints. If one does not first understand what the paints actually were, and what coexisted (e.g. B30 was introduced in the same Fleet Order which discontinued MS2 and MS3, in April 1943, which makes the presence of paints from two different time periods on the same camouflage scheme in 1944 somewhat unlikely), then everything derived from that understanding is also automatically wrong.

If I wrote a cook book full of recipes, but I keep writing "Mushroom" to describe the red thing a Botanist would call a "Tomato" then the recipes are going to be useless. That's assuming I'd even seen a particular dish cooked with the round red "Mushroom" at all and wasn't just imagining what it would taste like...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Woah, I am so never mentioning paint colours again...:doh:

Please never take that message away Steve. I'm just trying to illustrate why that specific author cannot be trusted in this regard :)

• Like 5