1/72 Esci RAF/ F-4S Phantom build and conversion options?

phat trev

Deciding on opening up my 1/72 Esci RAF/ F-4S Phantom but wanting to build an RAF version in grey/green camo. Can this version be converted to an FGR version. What versions could be made with this particular esci model (even with a bit of tlc).  

4 minutes ago, phat trev said:

Deciding on opening up my 1/72 Esci RAF/ F-4S Phantom but wanting to build an RAF version in grey/green camo. Can this version be converted to an FGR version. What versions could be made with this particular esci model (even with a bit of tlc).  

Can't be built as a camo aircraft as the it has the US Engines not RR spey's of the RAF  FGR2 which give it a much wider jetpipe area.

Can only be built as a RAF F4J(UK) and these were always grey.

Selwyn

In short - not really.  All Phantoms other than UK ones were quite different to the UK marks.  The UK ones had Rolls Royce Spey engines which meant that their fuselage shape , intakes and exhausts are quite different from all other marks.  If you want a master class on how to convert a model J (or S) to an FGR look at the conversion here

• Like 1

Cheers both. Thought as much but felt I had better ask those with more knowledge than me on this. Interesting link too, I will have good look at least. Also, is it just 74sqn that used the J(UK) I have only found pics of tiger Sqn examples so far

3 minutes ago, phat trev said:

Cheers both. Thought as much but felt I had better ask those with more knowledge than me on this. Interesting link too, I will have good look at least. Also, is it just 74sqn that used the J(UK) I have only found pics of tiger Sqn examples so far

Yes just 74.

Selwyn