Doolittle Media's "How to build Tamiya's 1:48 Lockheed P38F/G Lightning"

Ada

Anybody else out there waiting for this guide to be published? Ordered and paid for a copy last June (2021), knowing that it was not yet available but under preparation, but still no sign of it. Have contacted Doolittle twice and didn't get any response either time, so thought I would try this route to getting some idea of what, if anything, is happening. Any news or views would be appreciated. Trying to get information out of Doolittle seems to be fruitless.

Yep - my mother ordered it for me as an Xmas present 2 (?) years ago. Each time she's contacted Doolittle by phone to chase up, she's been told there are delays related to Covid. 

I reckon they might try to incorporate the newly announced P-38J kit too (which would make sense) hence the delay.

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for this one. I suspect they just can't afford to print it at present. I know some other publishers have had to put their schedules on a go slow because of rising costs. I guess the taking of pre-orders is the issue here.

• 5 months later...

I did a pre-order purchase of the book back in February 2020. This is the last email I got back from Gordon Angus [email protected] on 5/31/2022

Hi Allen,

Thanks for contacting me.

I have been told that we will be going to print in the next few weeks! Not long now!

Keep safe,

Gordon

On 26 May 2022, at 22:07, Allen Milsup <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Any update on the book?

Thanks

Alan

There you go.

At least you received a reply. It's more than I got from two attempts to get info out of them. If things were delayed, for whatever reason, a simple reply costs nothing - it's called customer care. Why are some companies so bad at this?

I hate to be the bearer of bad omens, but I think the publishers are looking to pull a fast one, here. Even with the pandemic and any other current factors, this is WAY too long for a book to be delayed. What are they hoping to achieve with this?

Chris. 

1 hour ago, HartDeco said:

To be fair, you don't really need a book on how to build this kit. Lol.  It's actually the best fitting kit I've ever built.

Just for your information. 🤪

René

Probably true (I haven't started to build it yet), but I've used other books from them to give me some ideas on different markings and such. Having already paid for the book, I'm reluctant to build the kit before I've looked at the options, tips etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I kicked off this thread, so only fair to report that I have at last received my copy, but not until 24th October. I had spoken to Gordon at Doolittle last week and he said that they had been sent out a couple of weeks ago (as per matto21's post above), so no idea why mine took so long. Anyway, it was worth waiting for and I have picked up some good ideas, although it could have done with a good proof-read before going to the printers as there are a number of silly typos, such as words with missing letters, repeated words, duplicated captions to pictures and so on. If you can ignore all that, it's a good book of its type.