Westland Wyvern S-4, Suez Crisis, 1956, 830 Sqn HMS Eagle...

On 3/1/2022 at 7:33 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

This is an entertaining thread.

Thanks Bertie.  You have the follow the instructions and also adjust for painting.  For example, they say to attach all the whizz bangs as you build the wing assemblies. Of course you cannot do that or else you cannot paint it correctly, or easily, or at all.  Once again, all the small pieces get glued on last, after final major assembly and any weathering.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Bertie.  You have the follow the instructions and also adjust for painting.  For example, they say to attach all the whizz bangs as you build the wing assemblies. Of course you cannot do that or else you cannot paint it correctly, or easily, or at all.  Once again, all the small pieces get glued on last, after final major assembly and any weathering.  

Too true John,

One particular problem few manufacturers think of with British post war planes is the ruddy underwing serials - they often go under pylons and over wheel doors. At least Airfix provide cut up serials for their Phantom but I got away with using the optional whole ones on my particular build as it seems to have used smaller numbers/letters than the other two options but I don't think they said to put the decs on  before fitting the pylons! There can be a similar problem with the US Star and bar as well.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Back from my check up in Athens, I have begun the thought process that eventually leads to masking and/or paint.  I think, since so much of the aircraft is Sky Type S, I'll start with that.  The Dark Sea Grey will be easy enough to paint with some masking.

I have  question about the registration numbers...there was some discussion about whether it is accurate to have them on the nose or not.  They would have been beneath the invasion stripes, correct?  So do I leave them off for accuracy?  I don't know folks, so some help here wold be grands!  Thanks!

51921500671_807fe9ee5d_k_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

I masked the stripes and applied the Sky Type-S to almost the entire fuselage.  I think this paint job will really give the aircraft a shark-like appearance.  I have Calculus' submarine n my mind, even though it will look complexly different.

Hergé drew this, by the way.  Not me.  I found it on the web.

51924859429_28e21c0e9f_w_d.jpg

Here's the Wyvern...

51924831879_78908b325a_c_d.jpg

The Tyre S looks very nice.  Sprayed on smooth and silky.

51925128110_711461318d_c_d.jpg

Dark Sea Grey tomorrow...

--John

• Like 10

Masked for the next round...

51926613888_9c0b219dff_z_d.jpg

Don't you just love Dark Sea Grey as the FAA used it?  Lovely tone...

51926862214_e03f18aa57_z_d.jpg

It looks even better when matched with Sky Type S...

51927157040_2c6ff252c6_z_d.jpg

Busy night on the bench...😁

--John

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

John ,nice paìnting!

7 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice to see it getting some colour

Thank you both.  The question still nags...are the registration numbers suggested by the profile incorrect?  I'll have to do a little digging.

Found it:  during Operation Musketeer the reg numbers were overpainted with the invasion stripes aft of the national markings.  It was only after the Suez Crisis that they were painted back and on the nose.  I think I will do that version because I like decals and markings.

• Like 2

A lot happened last night.  I went to bed very early and woke up 2 hours later feeling pretty good, so I went to the bench.  I attached the landing gear, the rockets. the wheel bay doors, the attachments for the wings, the finlets, navigation lights, etc...I didn't document it.  You know how it is when you're on a roll.

51933080031_e2fbdc189e_z_d.jpg

I've decided to leave the fuel pods off.  The instructions have them sitting right next to the rockets which, to my mind, makes no sense.  Good way to blow yourself up, imho.

51933080011_160f3e2052_z_d.jpg

I am basically ready for decals now.

--John

• Like 5

The decals went on very easily.  Only a couple of small adjustments.  One note: not enough 'Sling' stencils.  I had to remove some of the rockets to add some.  I can glue them back easily.  

51933678343_1f6a398573_c_d.jpg

This is interesting...notice the 'W' and the '7'...

51933606981_63554ed6c4_c_d.jpg

Snip snip...

51932625817_8f451f2314_c_d.jpg

Varnish next, then specific weathering...

--John

• Like 8

With everything on, varnished and everything...I'm calling this one done.  It's a clean, post-Crisis machine...

51936051064_de34157a58_z_d.jpg

I'll get some gallery images tomorrow for the...ah...ummm....gallery...

--John

• Like 8

On 3/13/2022 at 6:22 PM, Col. said:

Well done John. Tidy work again

Thank you Col.

18 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Very nice indeed, the foldable wings is a nice touch too 👍

Thank you DF!

All done and I placed it next to one of its sisters, another with a 'good personality', the Gannet.  Both FAA and both looking very nice in their FAA colours.

51941248851_24bc5361c8_z_d.jpg

There are more in the gallery...The Corsair is up next!

--John

• Like 7