Tamiya Peugeot 206 WRC

galaxyg

I've started another kit alongside the Nissan Leopard, as I don't expect that one to take too long and I can begin all the prep work for this one whilst I'm at it. It feels like time to add a 4th rally car to my collection, and who doesn't love a French rallying hatchback? There are quite a few versions of this Tamiya kit to choose from, I chose this one as it has driver / co-driver figures which does make the build more interesting and at the same time, avoids a lot of faff threading seatbelt buckles.  Overall it looks the usual Tamiya high-quality, high detail kit. 

I've driven the *road going* basic 206 and it was one of the most horrible cars ever but the WRC version I'm sure is an entirely different experience.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are some big seam marks right down the front wings that need removing. (mostly sanded off in this photo). There are a few others round the back of the car also.

spacer.png

Everything that's silver is now ready for priming and painting. Rear wing assembled.

spacer.png

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks nice project. I must follow this. I was driving in some races same time when Marcus Grönholm was still driving in Finland. I liked always those Peugeot rally cars.

Thanks. That reminds me - the kit comes with decals and numbers to model Auriol, Grönholm or Panizzi.  I'd decided before starting to make it the car for Grönholm.

Those bloody mould lines down the front wings are a pain. They are sanded so smooth I can't feel them even if I brush them with my lips, yet despite all that they persist through priming and gloss aluminium. So there they stay now. They're part covered by red decals anyhow later on.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

…sanded so smooth I can't feel them even if I brush them with my lips, yet despite all that they persist through priming…

I just can’t imagine the trouble if one is caught kissing models!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of my pet hates is recurring mould lines - sometimes it feels as though you could sand away the whole body and the dust would rearrange itself to form a mould line. And for some reason Tamiya metallic plastic seems to be the worst affected that I've come across.

I think you're doing the right thing moving on and accepting it as it is. As you say, once the decals are in place it will be much less noticeable so why lose sleep over it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think separations like that are caused by the plastic cooling too much and causing a boundary that doesn't bond properly. I've have paintjobs split along those lines long after the model is finished. Now I brush on Tamiya extra thin generously to both sides to try and prevent that. Covering it with decals don't really help as it splits the decals as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A bigger update this time as work on the Nissan leopard is more into curing-waiting time than anything else. What follows are a sequence of photos that build up the entire chassis, suspension and wheels - including as shown in another WIP, putting mileage on the tyres.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Since the spare wheels seems to be mounted inside-up the in car, I've added a load of metal scratches to the interior of it (found a ref photo of the same). This was done by painting some sandpaper silver and whilst still wet, wiping-scraping it around the inside of the rim.

spacer.png

Only the camera can read the "Peugeot Sport" decal. I had no idea what it said when applying it, it's tiny.

spacer.png

Rolling chassis.

spacer.png

• Like 8

On 2/20/2022 at 5:59 PM, Windy37 said:

Coming along nicely . Did you know later evolutions of the 206 WRC used large brake discs front and back on tarmac rallies . Just imagine the stopping power ! 

No wonder they won so much.  Build continues now the Nissan Leopard is complete:-

spacer.png

The sides of the car have a number of red decals on the door and the sills. The ones that curve around the sills look like a nuisance to apply *and* sit right on an area where I'll handle the car the most. So using a photocopy of the decals, I am going to make my own masks and spray these areas.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Meanwhile, also spraying the roll cage gloss aluminium.

spacer.png

• Like 6

More detail added to the interior.

spacer.png

Time for the decals

spacer.png

spacer.png

The TOTAL across the front and the red behind it are all one decal. A little awkward as it runs into the bonnet creases, but it got there after a little encouragement.

spacer.png

It's not apparent in this photo but the sprayed red and the decalled red are different. But I'm still happy I went for this method.

spacer.png

All of the main body decals are done now, and very nice it looks.

spacer.png

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

More detail added to the interior.

spacer.png

Nice work on this build, I can't help thinking of the Lunar Rover when I see the Peugeot's floor.  If anything bad happens to the body (not that I'd want it to), you could always repurpose the kit ;) 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 8:50 PM, Windy37 said:

Looking good . Is this car the beginning of awkward liveries for us modellers ..... ?

For my 2pth worth I'm going to say it came a few years earlier in the form of Sainz's 1998 Corolla, of which I have the Tamiya version in my stash. The green Castrol blobs that go down the rear wings and around the back bumper all in several directions at once do not look a fun fit.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 20:50, Windy37 said:

Looking good . Is this car the beginning of awkward liveries for us modellers ..... ?

Gary . 

If you want awkward for the 206, you need to try the tour de corse one with the lion decals all around the bonnet and wings, whilst lining up the grills on the bonnet, I've done the Castrol corrolla as well, the back end of that is as bad as I've found decal wise 

I've got one of these kits in the stash, and I'm going to nick the painting of the sills tip as its so much better :) 

20200401_110630_resized

• Like 2

The body is clearcoated now and is plenty shiny enough for a rally car, despite that not showing very well in any of the photos below. Quite a few of the bodywork parts are added and the car has it's face now.

spacer.pngspacer.png

The 206 on the mesh is something Tamiya expect you to paint as I guess that's the only way as a decal would be terrible.  I have a thin Tipp-ex pen and it was just about accurate enough to make something approximating a 206 logo.

spacer.png

These rear light lenses fit so incredibly perfectly that it is bordering on supernatural.

spacer.png

• Like 10

Some more exterior parts. The Eurodatacar and Peugeot Financement decals are a bit of a pain to fit.

spacer.png

As usual no side window masks. And Mr Tamiya should've sharpened his die-cut blade a little, these did not come off happily.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Where possible I'll use any mechanism other than glue (even PVA) to hold in the glass. Electrical tape in this instance.

spacer.png

I can see this back window getting a fair pit of pushing trying to fit that rear wing, so I've made a small retainer plate and glued in place.

spacer.png

The exterior is not too far from complete. Unlike the interior...

spacer.png

The started but not yet completed driver and co-driver. Tamiya's painting instructions call for one orange visor and one blue visor.  Watching in-car footage of these pair on the exact rally and year that's being modelled shows no such colours. Therefore I stick with white.

spacer.png

Fire extinguishers and dashboard now completed.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Further work on the interior. The seats come with their own carbon-pattern decals. I've added some wiring and hoses also.

spacer.png

Annoyingly the areas between the roll cage bars are filled with solid plastic. I can't imagine any reason for this. To try and remove them would be a pain so instead I'll paint them black.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

I can't remember from when I built this kit , but does it have separate door cards ? If not maybe the infilled roll cage acts as the door card . I remember Subaru Imprezza rally cars from this era had these shaped around the roll cage bars , an early form of side impact protection .

Looking good 

Gary . 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I can't remember from when I built this kit , but does it have separate door cards ? If not maybe the infilled roll cage acts as the door card . I remember Subaru Imprezza rally cars from this era had these shaped around the roll cage bars , an early form of side impact protection .

Looking good 

Gary . 

Thanks.   The kit does have separate (and detailed) door cards. Which are 50% hidden by these roll-cage infills. Weird. It's a really nice detailed and well-fitting kit this just seems anomalous for the quality.

• Like 1

Purple boots! As per reference photos.

spacer.png

With his notes and door-mounted computer, the co-driver has everything he needs now. Aside from a head.

spacer.png

Electrical tape. Is there anything it can't do?

spacer.png

Installation of more rollcage and the hat rack.

spacer.png

The other door card and dashboard.

spacer.png

• Like 5