Mitsubishi F-2A weapon load.

Evil_Toast_RSA

while we are at red and yellow guided bombs:

what is this actually?

a XGCS?

Y5cvs7h.jpg

7B6pSgL.jpg

looks like a precicion guided glide bomb, not too disimilar to some Israeli designs

from here:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/445730-japanese-aircraft-armament-ammunition-new/page/4/

and really? 

F-4s with ASM?

261120%20phantom%2012.jpg

https://en.difesaonline.it/mondo-militare/mezzi/phantoms-world-episode-1-gli-f-4-giapponesi

adn maybe we should simly switch to 1/144 :D

https://www.1999.co.jp/10165188

On 2/8/2022 at 1:36 AM, Blimpyboy said:

Thanks for your confidence, but I must say, when it comes to Japanese colours and markings, your real heroes are going to be Britmodeller members like @Red Dot, and organisations like the Japanese Aviation Special Interest Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/243821419329500/) and Asian Air Arms Special Interest Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/621488328061049/).

I reckon I'm lucky enough to have some good access to Japanese internet content (which may not come up in many external searches) due to my use of Japanese language search terms on Japanese search engines.

I can think of four schemes, off the top of my head: a red-white prototype/proving airframe(s); a vermilion-blue-white prototype scheme; a blue-white (or blue-very light grey); and the Oceanic Blue scheme. Of these, I think the latter is the only one to appear on operational airframes.

The Japanese are also huge fans of anniversay and special event schemes, which are usually variations on the standard operational schemes for those aircraft. In the case of the F-2s, the base colours are almost always the Oceanic blues, which are sometimes given very subtle details (like the picture you reference in your earlier post).

Here's what I've found thus far, for the first three schemes I mentioned:

EAI7juoUcAAHUgd?format=jpg&name=large

617fb97bc151db7c44f754589246ac1b.jpg

w640.jpg

d128adfad0c20a97245d11f2daca9aca.jpg

i=https%253A%252F%252Fs.eximg.jp%252Fexn

ca16abf46bff4782a517ef0a8ef53e66.jpg

large_210805_f2_01.jpg

960x960.jpg

The above scheme may only have appeared on an F-2B airframe - I'll get back to you on that...

Correct about the colours. The first three are test aircraft based at Gifu.

Andy

On 2/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Looking at doing one of these for a GB coming up soon, but have hit a rather big razor blade in the candyfloss of life. 

Namely it's a Hasegawa kit, so it has minimal weapons included in the box ( 4 x AAM-3's and 2 gasbags only IIRC). Getting the JASDF weapon set is a no go here, and the AM options I can get for these weapons is pretty much non existent (can get a Brassin CBU-87 set though relatively easy). Info on the interwebz isn't exactly helpful either unless I use that anime sites suggestions...

So. Seeing as this was printed in the early 2000's, and not updated by the looks of it, what modern weapons have been integrated that I can get to stick under here? Pretty sure I can use GBU-38's in the place of the Mk.82's for example but anything else? It's supposed to be an anti shipping platform mainly I think, so would really like to equip it as such if at all possible. 

Thanks!

spacer.png

GBU 38 is good but rare. Most F-2s carry 600gal tanks and AAM-3s (the cool ones) or ASM-2s (the big missiles).

Andy

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Red Dot said:

GBU 38 is good but rare. Most F-2s carry 600gal tanks and AAM-3s (the cool ones) or ASM-2s (the big missiles).

Andy

I would love to get those anti shipping ones, but outside of the Hasegawa weapon set, I've not seen any resin AM ones anywhere. Having said that I'm going to guess there's a massive Japanese market selling these things based on those TV mango's that are popular there that 99% of us aren't aware of... :whistle:

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Info
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Silverkite said:

One thing 4 ASM-2 missiles it's not allowed due wing and stress weight limit, it was used for testing purposes but then they noticed cracks and de-lamination of wing structure and it was forbidden.

Luigi

I guess in case of war the would carry 4....

What I do not understand is that as th F2 was specifically designed to carry 4, why not make it strong enought! :wall:

Could  have bought 2x as many F-16s instead....

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

I guess in case of war the would carry 4....

What I do not understand is that as th F2 was specifically designed to carry 4, why not make it strong enought! :wall:

Could  have bought 2x as many F-16s instead....

it's about weight limit, it's the same thing when they say the A-4 COULD carry X tons of bombs but then it would either sit on its tail or never take off.

F-2A had problems with wing integrity due vibrations causing cracks, they had to put a limit on it so technically you could load 4 ASM-2 with no drop tanks or AA missiles next to them, or 2 drop tanks and 2 ASM-2

Luigi

On 2/11/2022 at 2:35 AM, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

I would love to get those anti shipping ones, but outside of the Hasegawa weapon set, I've not seen any resin AM ones anywhere. Having said that I'm going to guess there's a massive Japanese market selling these things based on those TV mango's that are popular there that 99% of us aren't aware of... :whistle:

Only the weapons sets available AFAIK

Andy 

Just had a brief read through this thread. I recently picked up the Haseagwa Japanese weapons set as I was in need of a set of AAM-3s. There are the large ASMs you speak of in the set which I have no need for. If required, I'm sure I could send them out to South Africa.

Cheers

Dave

On 16/02/2022 at 17:30, DaveJL said:

Just had a brief read through this thread. I recently picked up the Haseagwa Japanese weapons set as I was in need of a set of AAM-3s. There are the large ASMs you speak of in the set which I have no need for. If required, I'm sure I could send them out to South Africa.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the offer, but I must decline. Posting things here and throwing them into the toilet and sending them on an ocean holiday is not only both the same thing, I actually stand a realistic chance of getting them sometime in the future if I ever pick up fishing.