Building a 1/72 Matchbox Lancaster in commemoration of Lancaster JB221.

So I finally moved to a place where I can start building again with out too much fear of movers violating my models again. 

I am going to display parts of crashed aircraft that we recovered over the years and build a model representing each aircraft (as good as possible).

My first project is creating a replica of Lancaster Mk. III, JB221. 

For that I am using an old Matchbox 1/72 kit that I have in my stash. Only after starting the build did I realize how lacking the cockpit is of any detail.

Now I am just a hobby builder and this is my first attempt at scratch building, so have mercy on me, lol.

The first think I did was try to spruce up the cockpit somewhat. It is actually bad how Matchbox displayed the Navigator and Radio Ops station, but I did my best with what I have (not a lot right now).

I first kit bashed a navigator table and a seat for the flight engineer. I also printed out an instrument and engineer panel and a map, which I will glue (with a gluestick) into the cockpit. 

I also cut the bases of the turrets so they can be installed after gluing both fuselage halves together. I never liked the way they forced you to add the turrets while combining the fuselage halves as it made painting a royal pain in the bum for me.

I am also thinking of adding the crew as I always (45 years plus now) have added figures to my aircraft. 

I was going to insert some photos, but bloody hell, where is the upload image button?

And when I try to upload over URL, the field turns red. What am I doing wrong?

Danny

Edited by RoscoeRedThree
Updated
  • Like 2

Danny

The rear entry door is located in the wrong place so watch ow you place the decals  . . .

Matchbox-Lancaster-047.jpg

I didnt realise until I came to doing the decals, the door needs to be placed further back and a simple case of filling and resubscribing to the correct position  . . . 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:04 PM, Mancunian airman said:

Danny

The rear entry door is located in the wrong place so watch ow you place the decals  . . .

Matchbox-Lancaster-047.jpg

I didnt realise until I came to doing the decals, the door needs to be placed further back and a simple case of filling and resubscribing to the correct position  . . . 

Well dang, I was going to model it open :) I finished one before and never noticed.