Bike builders: choice of paint for a racing aluminium frame?

slippers

I've never been happy with my results on frames. I've mostly been using Tamiya LPs: flat aluminium, gloss aluminium, sparkling silver, standard silver. I've also tried mixing colours and flat coats but none have looked right. 

Next, I'd like to try Alclad but would prefer to buy only one, if possible. 

ALC-101 ALUMINIUM

or

ALC-105 POLISHED ALUMINIUM

If anyone has experience with these I'd be grateful for your comments, and any other paints that are recommended. 

Cheers, 

I built this Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki RGV XR89 race bike several years ago, and used Alclad ALC-101 Aluminium for the frame and swingarm. I was very happy with the result! :)

51865658498_0c1185eb1e_o.jpg

51866247575_6523263d15_o.jpg

51865581616_c32f736f2e_o.jpg

B)

• Like 3

Thanks for that, Neil. 👍

Did the final finish match up with reference pics? 

Looks great. 

And could I ask how you got a clear reservoir at the front end? Impressive. 

I'm currently building the 01 RGV, and resorted to mixing some LP2 white in with the LP48 sparkling silver for the frame. Again, not happy with the result. 

I'm breaking my neck trying to match colours with the Pit Walk Photo Collection book!

Edited by slippers

I wasn't going to suggest those, despite being keen on them (especially since the recent reformulation) as slippers appears to have a preference for lacquers. But if anyone does want water-based metal colours for bike frames and related CNC parts, 701 Aluminium and 706 White Aluminium are very suitable and very beautiful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slippers said:

Thanks for that, Neil. 👍

Did the final finish match up with reference pics? 

Looks great. 

And could I ask how you got a clear reservoir at the front end? Impressive. 

It looked pretty close, it never had an ultra-shiny finish.  The clear reservoirs were achieved by moulding the kit ones, then casting them in clear resin, and rubbing the surface down with 1200 wet 'n dry to achieve a kind of frosted clear plastic effect. I cast a few other bits in normal beige PU resin too, such as the missing inner brake caliper halves etc etc.

51864791077_781f8134b4_o.jpg

51866410015_1b8651f304_o.jpg

51866420605_608b95fa4a_o.jpg

B)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I have also used Alcad paints. In general I was happy with those, but sometimes there was quality variation in paints. Many people have recommended Vallejo metal range. But no personal experience from those.

12 hours ago, Ade H said:

I wasn't going to suggest those, despite being keen on them (especially since the recent reformulation) as slippers appears to have a preference for lacquers. But if anyone does want water-based metal colours for bike frames and related CNC parts, 701 Aluminium and 706 White Aluminium are very suitable and very beautiful.

11 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Have you tried the Tamiya AS-12 bare metal airframe silver?

best,

M.

Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. 👍

Unfortunately the Vallejo and Tamiya AS-12 are too difficult for me to obtain. 

I can get my hands on Mr Hobby but have already wasted a few quid on their GX213White Silver (it looked a good match on the screen), so am unsure which of their range to go for next.

11 hours ago, Neil said:

The clear reservoirs were achieved by moulding the kit ones, then casting them in clear resin, and rubbing the surface down with 1200 wet 'n dry to achieve a kind of frosted clear plastic effect. I cast a few other bits in normal beige PU resin too, such as the missing inner brake caliper halves etc etc.

That'll be too good for me! Thanks for letting me know though. Mighty fine work. 

6 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Can you get hold of AK Extreme range of paints over there. They're a good range of colours. 

Cheers, Stef. Limited availability of the range. The White Aluminum is in stock; any experience with that one? 

I still like the sound of the white versions, despite my previous erroneous purchase. 

5 hours ago, gamblor916 said:

Gunze super metallic super fine silver is very nice. That and Tamiya sparkling silver are my choice for frames.

That super fine is in stock. Thanks for the advice. 

The Tamiya sparkling silver with around six coats of flat clear have been my best efforts so far, but still not as close as I'd like. 

20220207-215102.jpg

20220114_171641.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Always had good luck with Tamiya AS-12. Have Alclad paints but scared to use them and damage my airbrush, still need to buy a second airbrush just for them :)

Most GP Bike frames are finished in black these days, but for older Bikes ... probably not so shiny and chromey would be best, also most of those frames were of flat beam construction apart from the cast headstocks ETC that had a duller silver finish.

So with old GP/Moto-GP aluminium flat beam frames, what about not too bright aluminium foil?  weld beads could be be brush pained in a slightly different shade to add some contrast, for 1/12 Bikes, should be quite manageable for flat beam frames and swinging arms on Motorcycles, Modellers do this for smaller scales for Aircraft and often pull it off very nicely over much more complex shapes.

Not tried it myself yet but have been meaning to.

Edited by One 48

Thanks for your suggestions 👍 Foil seems a bit beyond my skills though! 

I've also been introduced to, pricey, Tamiya TS83 now, so that'll surely be on the next shopping list. 

I took part in a mass test task recently and bundles of spoons were sprayed (not an enjoyable experience for me). 

I've only bought a few new colours to try, Mr Hobby Super Metallic Silver and the Titanium, plus the Mr Metal Aluminum, alongside my current collection. 

Using a mix of primers, Mr Surfacer 1500 Black and White, and Mr Colour Gloss Black and White, the best of the batch for me was LP72, Mica Silver, on Gloss white. 

SAM-0147.jpg

Still not perfect, and a dull coat didn't produce a better match. 

I won't post pics of spoons unless they are requested. What a poxy job it is to paint plastic cutlery for a few days! 

Edited by slippers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/03/2022 at 19:40, gamblor916 said:

It has a non-reflective white aluminium look.

This is the requirement isn't it; a sort of dull gleam (oxymoron alert!) 

Cheers, mate.👍 That's attainable for me so will go on the list. 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 09:28, slippers said:

Thanks for your suggestions 👍 Foil seems a bit beyond my skills though! 

I've also been introduced to, pricey, Tamiya TS83 now, so that'll surely be on the next shopping list. 

I took part in a mass test task recently and bundles of spoons were sprayed (not an enjoyable experience for me). 

I've only bought a few new colours to try, Mr Hobby Super Metallic Silver and the Titanium, plus the Mr Metal Aluminum, alongside my current collection. 

Using a mix of primers, Mr Surfacer 1500 Black and White, and Mr Colour Gloss Black and White, the best of the batch for me was LP72, Mica Silver, on Gloss white. 

SAM-0147.jpg

Still not perfect, and a dull coat didn't produce a better match. 

I won't post pics of spoons unless they are requested. What a poxy job it is to paint plastic cutlery for a few days! 

This looks good. I'd be happy with this finish 👍