Polishing by hand.

OutcastJoel

Hello Folks,

I have been polishing a car model I am making for a friend and using Tamiya compounds which I have found to work very nicely.

I have been applying them using cotton buds (q-tips for those in the States) and some cotton make up removal pads I pinched from my wife.

These work well but the pads fall apart very very quickly.

So my question is; what do people use for polishing by hand? Are there small foam pads or similar designed for the job like those available for full sized cars?

Hi Joel

I also use the tamiya compounds. I personally use microfibre cloths similar to glasses ones. I also hear of people using cut up cotton t-shirts for polishing. I clean the cloths with warm soapy water after each use to get rid of the remaining compound. I have one cloth per type of compound.

Hope this helps

Nick

• Thanks 1

Old (washed many times, now with too many holes even to be worn doing the gardening, formerly white) T-shirts cut to pieces.

Pieces folded a couple of times or several layers over a wooden stick.

But I admit, an expensive dedicated product from Tamiya or some exotic small scale manufacturer would make me feel much better.

Edited by Jochen Barett
typo
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

You can get Tamiya polishing sponges, I have used them and I use micro fibre cloths as well

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87192/index.htm

Ian

I had no idea these existed! Are they any good? If they make a horrible squeaking noise I’m out

i quite like glasses cloths, they don’t wear out & never leave any fluff behind 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Mansfield said:

I had no idea these existed! Are they any good? If they make a horrible squeaking noise I’m out

I find them good for some areas where my sausage fingers don't fit ;) 

They don't sqeak as long as you keep the polish topped up on the end 

Ian 

• Like 1

Some cheap polishing cloths which I don't like are used for the coarser compounds, I don't care if I ruin them. Then as Mr. Mansfield said above glasses cloths work well for the final fine polish and waxing (although I got a load of 24 badged as microfibre off Amazon, they look identical to glasses cloths).