Where Do I Start Please

Tijuana Taxi

Total novice when it comes to any type of diorama modelling and need some advice please.

Bought the item below in an Amazon warehouse sale for a couple of quid, but where to begin and what with?

Assuming it needs building up with some sort of plaster, putty, filler before an attempt at further detail.

Then obviously some form of ground coverage, foilage and no doubt many other features to add realism

Should add that I haven't got a model in mind to display, got it to try my hand at diorama/vignette construction.

Some of the bases I have seen are very lifelike, but as a novice i'm finding it rather daunting.

I am ok with painting ( brush and airbrush} but not this type of artistic modelling using other mediums.

Tried to look on Youtube, but the amount of videos is overwhelming and having trouble finding what I need.

So many although listed as beginner assume you have existing knowledge which I don't

Suggestions for any printed matter would be very welcome, even better replies with details on this thread or links to articles/videos

Thanks very much in anticipation of your assistance

Rich

spacer.png

Edited by Tijuana Taxi
  • Like 1

• Tijuana Taxi changed the title to Where Do I Start Please

I've not used this base specifically, but I'd suggest you won't need to plaster or putty the base since the natural formations should already be in place.

You will want to look into texture paints for covering the base. There are a great selection from Vallejo, Tamiya, AK and others. Most will just need thinning with some water when you apply, so it doesn't lose the texture of the base itself.

For the grass, have a look at static grass applicators - not cheap but can be used for all diorama projects. I use the Peco/WSW one, there are lots of specific videos online about them and you can build your own too. Static grass itself is pretty cheap and available from most model railway shops.

48 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I've not used this base specifically, but I'd suggest you won't need to plaster or putty the base since the natural formations should already be in place.

You will want to look into texture paints for covering the base. There are a great selection from Vallejo, Tamiya, AK and others. Most will just need thinning with some water when you apply, so it doesn't lose the texture of the base itself.

For the grass, have a look at static grass applicators - not cheap but can be used for all diorama projects. I use the Peco/WSW one, there are lots of specific videos online about them and you can build your own too. Static grass itself is pretty cheap and available from most model railway shops.

Thank you, i'll have a look at the texture paints, I have seen them when i've bought other paints,

Presumably those such as European Thick Mud from the Vallejo range.

Static grass might be a bit overkill at this stage, probably keep spending to a minimum until I decide if its for me or not

21 hours ago, Tijuana Taxi said:

Thank you, i'll have a look at the texture paints, I have seen them when i've bought other paints,

Presumably those such as European Thick Mud from the Vallejo range.

Static grass might be a bit overkill at this stage, probably keep spending to a minimum until I decide if its for me or not

Yes, most firms have a texture paint or two in their range. Just be aware of very different variations in thickness.

You can get premade static grass tufts, again from model railway places mostly - peco do a good selection.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 1:45 AM, Tijuana Taxi said:

Total novice when it comes to any type of diorama modelling and need some advice please.

Bought the item below in an Amazon warehouse sale for a couple of quid, but where to begin and what with?

Assuming it needs building up with some sort of plaster, putty, filler before an attempt at further detail.

Then obviously some form of ground coverage, foilage and no doubt many other features to add realism

Should add that I haven't got a model in mind to display, got it to try my hand at diorama/vignette construction.

Some of the bases I have seen are very lifelike, but as a novice i'm finding it rather daunting.

I am ok with painting ( brush and airbrush} but not this type of artistic modelling using other mediums.

Tried to look on Youtube, but the amount of videos is overwhelming and having trouble finding what I need.

So many although listed as beginner assume you have existing knowledge which I don't

Suggestions for any printed matter would be very welcome, even better replies with details on this thread or links to articles/videos

Thanks very much in anticipation of your assistance

Rich

spacer.png

Rich,

@Tim R-T-Cand @dcrfanhave given you a lot of information to start off. I have done some minor dioramas in the past but were just subjects of the USAF career years that were for commission builds. Simply straight forward flightline based aircraft. I plan on a more extensive diorama. Saw this and others for a more detailed diorama.

https://www.bouldercreekrailroad.com/      Luke Towan

Go into the tutorials and this fellow starts from the beginning and through the final product. These are very informative. He has some DIY projects and also what can be bought commercially.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK-tzXpJ-rgXugc-eJfCtxg     Kathy Millat

Kathy like Luke Towan are very informative and makes you think of future projects.

My only advice to give is to plan out what you want to produce. You have the beginnings with the base. Now all is needed is to create on paper what you want to produce. Fall winter summer, etc. War, country stroll and the like. I could go on and on.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you are looking for information on how to get started, Shep Paine's book "How to Build Dioramas" is an unrivaled resource. Some of the techniques are a little dated but much of the information is timeless. 

Matt

• Thanks 1