Tiny T'au Fire Warrior (and more!)

This is tiny compared to Hunter Rose's sculpture - January's mini-of-the-month was a Fire Warrior and I got mine built and based a week or two ago, but didn't find time to paint until yesterday.

51863411527_b985656750_b.jpg

I primed it with decanted Mr. Surfacer 1000 Mahagony (dark brown) which was really nice, then drybrushed and shaded the cloth areas before painting in all the armour with 2-3 coats of white airbrush ink applied by brush. This gives a nice finish, albeit not a bright white, but because it's so runny it gets into the panel lines and fills them up really easily. I probably spent more time repainting lines than anything else!

After about 3 hours work I was a bit disheartened, but weathering and trying to sharpen up the details has helped and a couple of hours later I think it's not a bad effort for the time spent? The scruffiness certainly adds some texture to the white surfaces.

51864700274_bdd2fd4993_b.jpg
51864376226_56934fb3a5_b.jpg

NB: The paint scheme is based on the current GW studio T'au army from Vior'la Sept, and goes with the small-scale aircraft I did last year.

50273254182_c8aa65cf6d_b.jpg

They were painted down from light grey/white and ended up a lot tidier. I think the white/red is a really cool scheme and fits the sci-fi militarism of the T'au rather well.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 19

13 hours ago, Will Vale said:

This is tiny compared to Hunter Rose's sculpture

:lol: Yeah I think the minis come up to my guys ankle! 

Great paint job on him Will! I agree about the white/red scheme, I much prefer it to the classic orangey tan colour.

I like the base too

• 4 weeks later...

So the "first one's free" thing worked perfectly and here I am painting a T'au combat patrol box. I started with some Fire Warriors and drones, haven't finished the Fire Warriors yet but here are the drones plus a turret and homing beacon.

51922737029_b6c8b2d1cf_b.jpg

From left to right the drones are shield, guardian, missile, marker and a second shield. They're painted in a less impressionistic sloppy style than the Fire Warrior and are maybe a bit too clinical as a result? They match the aircraft quite well though, down to using Insignia White as the base.

51922497323_f419e8324b_b.jpg

I like the turret a lot, a little dustbin full of missiles with a beady eye peeking out under the rim.

51922497533_68cd2961d7_b.jpg

The drones could do with bases, they're on flying stands at the moment which are a) wobbly and b) not very attractive. I think I'll probably end up using the flying stand stems with the standard 32mm bases (which have shoulders and aren't made of scratchy clear plastic.)

51923025310_ea86056b8b_b.jpg

I'm not totally sure about the basing scheme, or at least the execution here - I think the teal-and-orange is a reliable enough idea, but the blue-green moss isn't amazing. Hopefully it'll look better on the figure bases.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 10

• Will Vale changed the title to Tiny T'au Fire Warrior (and more!)

Thanks folks :) I've admired them too, especially since the newer battlesuits came out. But I couldn't ever commit as my daughter is a big fan and I feel obliged to wind her up about the greater good being a propaganda job, etc. etc. Quite glad I finally took the plunge although she's been very smug about my conversion...

I know what you mean about too many armies, I wish GW would slow down a bit as I get tempted by almost everything they do.

Will 

• Haha 1

Finished five Fire Warriors now, the style is a bit more like how I usually do things (matching the drones) rather than the fast-and-loose original subject of this thread.

51936648154_0dd7cc8067_b.jpg

Quite a lot of work in the end, the steps aren't that complicated but 5x anything always makes a difference. And then the Shas'ui's head and his glowing tricorder thing (full, no doubt, of widdly-wee) took a while on their own.

I've got some pictures of the individual figures but haven't processed them yet.

Cheers,

Will 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...