Universal Carrier MMG MkII (1/35 Riich Models)

APA

Wow what a kit! This is an exceptionally detailed offering from Riich. Comes with an extensive set of PE and accessories. No need for any aftermarket with this one. Even the suspension has real double coil spring! There are a couple of bizarre omissions such as the radiator which leaves a whacking great hole into the empty engine compartment but not to worry, an easy scratch fix. I think after building this I can strip and rebuild a real one blindfolded at night.

I thought I would do it justice and put a bit of work into it. 😁

First off there are two points

1. There is nothing wrong with the Tamya offering so I don't want anyone dissing it. It's stood many a modeller well over the years.

2. I have to give a big shout out to these guys;

https://vickersmg.blog/

As you'll see, this builds rabbit hole was the Vickers machine gun and I could not have done it without the help of them. So much info! I owe it all to them so check them out and maybe visit or donate.

So on to the build. It depicts a Medium Machine Gun Carrier just come back from duty and having a bit of a tidy up,maintenance and re stock. They've found part of an old sign and used it as a work bench on top of some random ammo boxes. While the No1 is disassembling the gun and changing the barrel and jacker the driver is sweeping up the spent shells which as you can see get everywhere.

20220205_180829

20220205_180700

20220205_180720

20220205_180734

All the helmets are kit with the inner liner on the 1st scratched and the webbing on the 4th one added.

20220205_180747

20220205_180820

20220205_180841

The rear bin and basket are scratched as the kit one couldn't be shown open. The brush is from the kit but the bristles added.

20220205_180857

Right then, The gun is 99% scratch. Tools are from the Miniarts set, petrol can from the kit. Tins and barrels and canvas covers are all scratch. I'm not sure if they ever changed the covers but I'm going for a refurb kit issued. There is a new cover, old cover, new barrel and old barrel still to be removed from the rest of the mechanism plus a barrel cleaning rod. The spring and casing I'm particularly proud of 😎

20220205_180907

20220205_180923

I did the fire extinguishers as painted but worn through to show off the brass. I was worried about the black leather seats but they seem to look ok. I'm also happy that you can see a lot of the linkages in the floor. Made it worth doing after all🙄

20220205_180936

20220205_180941

Those 303 shels get everywhere! I know they are a bit bright but I wasn't going to paint them! They are chopped up 0.3mm brass tubing. The barrels are 0.5mm brass tube so the bullets will actually fit 😁. The brown leather tube in the bottom right propped up next the the gunners seat is the spare barrel and cleaning rod case. Standard issue.

20220205_181002

The ammo boxwes are blue/green as was the case pre 45 and most were repainted before NWE campain however I'm going for some that slipped the paint shop for added colour.

20220205_181015

20220205_181029

20220205_181046

I put all the kit hanging from the side. I wasn't until it had all been made and ready for fitting that some know-it-all called @Mike Starmer 😉😁 Pointed out that no kit was hung like this as it would all get ripped off by bushes etc in the narrow lanes. They only did this in North Africa. Well these boys have either been very lucky, have a very good driver or just haven't learnt yet. The kit bags are all scratch as well btw.

20220205_181105

Bit of sustenance hidden from the Sergeant 😉 

20220205_181128

Bit out of focus but theres a cork hanging from the chain for bunging the water jacket.

20220205_181156

20220205_181212

Had a bit of a nightmare with the ammo boxes. They are all kit with added webbing for handles but the main thing is the lack of decals for them. No one makes them. I even tried 3D printing stamps but that didn't work out. I was going to scribble some yellow paint but thought that would spoil it. The cammo netting is aftermarket stuff with strips of Rizla.

20220205_181233

20220205_181245

WIP is here: 

Thanks all

Andrew

• Like 43
  • Thanks 3

Wow this truly amazing, saw some of it over on the wip thread but turned out so well. All that deatil. You know it’s right when even the seats look sat on! The shell casing and table are but brilliant top work, well done. Lovely finish on all here.

paul

• Like 1

Brilliant work Andrew. Looks like you had a lot of fun with this one!

A treasure trove of storytelling and full of little details which add so much without actually detracting from the model itself. 

Love that workbench :)

So good 👏

• Like 1

4 hours ago, APA said:

Wow what a kit! 

I'll paraphrase it a little differently, "Wow what an amazing job!"

I can only echo previous comments - all looks fantastically good. It is a big pleasure to look at such works, thank you!

Vytautas

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Ay up Andrew,

That is an absolute stunner of a model! The result of all that attention to detail is incredible. Well done sir :worthy:

Regards,

Steve

14 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Wow this truly amazing, saw some of it over on the wip thread but turned out so well. All that deatil. You know it’s right when even the seats look sat on! The shell casing and table are but brilliant top work, well done. Lovely finish on all here.

paul

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Miniature madness done to perfection, so much to look at for such a small model, and a little hand brush on the back storage box! :yikes:

Matt 

14 hours ago, Autle said:

Ridiculously good, the attention to detail is superb. Love all the little touches on the desk, well done.

13 hours ago, StuartH said:

Brilliant work Andrew. Looks like you had a lot of fun with this one!

A treasure trove of storytelling and full of little details which add so much without actually detracting from the model itself. 

Love that workbench :)

So good 👏

11 hours ago, vytautas said:

I'll paraphrase it a little differently, "Wow what an amazing job!"

I can only echo previous comments - all looks fantastically good. It is a big pleasure to look at such works, thank you!

Vytautas

10 hours ago, zigster said:

Superb model making! 😍

It is an inspiration! I'll save all this for my (future) build.

I like your painting / weathering very much!

Zig

2 hours ago, Maginot said:

Brilliant! Amount and attention to detail is exceptional. Weathering and highlighting is spot on.

35 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Tremendous..   Detailing taken to the last limit ...   

Thanks everyone. Glad you all like it 😁

Andrew

• Like 1

That would make a great little vignette with a superb model as it's centre piece. If I was to pick out individual items, it would be the box of shell casings and the helmet with the netting cover. Great work Andrew.

John.

Great job APA!! The amount of detail and scratch built parts is amazing!!

Now I know why I picked the Tamiya one over the Riich , when I decided to get back into the modelling world. Maybe after quite a few more builds and years down the road I might be up for giving the Riich versions a try.

I just posted my second build an Archer from Tamiya. Let me know what you think.

Question what did you use/ do to create the helmet nets?

Cheers Dennis 

8 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Excellent work Andrew!

There is soo much to take in. All those extra details really give life to the model. 

Brilliant!

Wayne

8 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

A definite contender for "Britmodeller Model of the Year" (if there is such a thing...)

Well done Andrew!

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That would make a great little vignette with a superb model as it's centre piece. If I was to pick out individual items, it would be the box of shell casings and the helmet with the netting cover. Great work Andrew.

John.

I hear you John. This has taken me four and a half months so a diarama for them all would add weeks to each build. I have a cobble stone base I've never used so might paint that up and photo for here before putting on the black bases. 

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

How nice is that!- what a profusion of detail - I can just keep looking at it :clap2:

Great execution and I really like the presentation

Rob

Thanks Rob glad your with me on the base 😉

3 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Absolutely outstanding 👌

3 hours ago, junobeach said:

Great job APA!! The amount of detail and scratch built parts is amazing!!

Now I know why I picked the Tamiya one over the Riich , when I decided to get back into the modelling world. Maybe after quite a few more builds and years down the road I might be up for giving the Riich versions a try.

I just posted my second build an Archer from Tamiya. Let me know what you think.

Question what did you use/ do to create the helmet nets?

Cheers Dennis 

Ah the netting. Well that was curtosy of Mrs APA 😊 let's just say she'll be going comando next Wednesday 😳😉😉

2 hours ago, mullac2001 said:

inspiring work , i will use your build for reference as i try to build an aop which my grandfather may have driven in the 69th field regiment r.a.

ive been using the tamiya kit and i have lots to learn still regards technique etc. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Brilliant 

Thanks everyone, really appreciated 👏👍

Andrew 

• Like 1

An excellent model. I've just spent a very happy 10 minutes or so examining all the little details. The more I look the more I see...

Very well done Andrew! 

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

This is really splendid. Such details in such a small vehicle. It really deserves a proper diorama floor, you know? You've done 95% of the diorama already. 

It's definitely an RFI that needs a couple of visits so I'm going to bookmark it and come back later.

Re the spent cases being too bright for you, I agree that they are bright but disagree that it's a problem. In a way they are the punch line to the whole thing, they hint at a story of something fierce happening recently, in sharp contrast to this cosy housekeeping scene. That said, and I realise it's too late now anyway, if you wanted to dull the brass in the next one, just heat it up and let it tarnish before you chop it up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

What can I say..truly outstanding, the real thing in miniature👍

7 hours ago, IanC said:

An excellent model. I've just spent a very happy 10 minutes or so examining all the little details. The more I look the more I see...

Very well done Andrew! 

Best wishes,

Ian

Glad I've given you some quality time 😊

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

This is really splendid. Such details in such a small vehicle. It really deserves a proper diorama floor, you know? You've done 95% of the diorama already. 

It's definitely an RFI that needs a couple of visits so I'm going to bookmark it and come back later.

Re the spent cases being too bright for you, I agree that they are bright but disagree that it's a problem. In a way they are the punch line to the whole thing, they hint at a story of something fierce happening recently, in sharp contrast to this cosy housekeeping scene. That said, and I realise it's too late now anyway, if you wanted to dull the brass in the next one, just heat it up and let it tarnish before you chop it up.

Thanks Bertie yeah I know, I know. Its all stuck down now to the moment has passed soz. I'll consider a muti use on for the future. 

It's full of hidden treasures so keep coming back as much as you like 😁

Flippin eck! It's so obvious when you think about it with heating the brass! Thanks anyway with the way you've put it. I've got my gas torch reserved for creme brulee. A quick whaffed passed? What could possibly go wrong 🙄

4 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Stunning stunning stunning. The helmets are incredibly realistic.

Thanks Gordon. I did like doing those

Andrew